Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Tech Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhat are the best-sounding headphones $100?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2017 at 00:43

These are pretty wacky for 40$ more. Lol

https://youtu.be/d-JrEX-mB-8
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2017 at 06:18

Wow that was weird. Gotta love that packaging! 'I have no name...'

He doesn't really mention the sound though. Just the ol head bobbing going down.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2017 at 07:17
Hi,
Originally posted by Davesax1965 Davesax1965 wrote:

Believe it or not, I'd go for a pair of studio headphones. Flat response, no treble or bass boost. 
That allows you to hear exactly what the producer intended you to hear. 

I sooooooo agree with this. In the old days, the main reason why the music sounded so good on the new FM dials of the late 60's and early 70's (BEFORE it went corporate 5 years later!), was exactly that ... the music was adjusted on the station side, and the split FM signal helped make a lot of the music deeper, heavier and better than it really was.

I have tapes of several shows from as far back as 1974, and some of the music on LP's and CD's STILL does not sound half as good, or as strong ... and a pair of headphones like that, might not have all the shine and the blahandblah, but you will KNOW what you have ... and if something gets done to it later, you already have the "source" and know your OWN music better!

So, in terms of enhancing your experience of listening, that is another story ... but by the time you hear 6 versions of Beethoven's 9th, I think you will find that the headphones are not helping the music in most examples, since each maestro tends to emphasize different elements and details.
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2017 at 06:25
Problem with the whole 'neutral' thing is that there aren't that many headphones that are neutral. Even the ones that claim to be professional studio monitors are often boosted.
They're not boosted in the bass region like so many consumer headphones are - no they're boosted in the mids and treble so as everything turns brighter ie it is easier to pick up mistakes in one's mix. Does this translate into pleasure?
Entirely up to your own ears.
I've heard supposedly flat cans that sounded woefully boring and I've heard ones that took my breath away. Both were professional studio monitors.

Another thing is, they're still discussing what exactly flat and/or neutral sounds like in a headphone. It is not the same thing as speakers.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2017 at 06:34
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Problem with the whole 'neutral' thing is that there aren't that many headphones that are neutral. Even the ones that claim to be professional studio monitors are often boosted.
They're not boosted in the bass region like so many consumer headphones are - no they're boosted in the mids and treble so as everything turns brighter ie it is easier to pick up mistakes in one's mix. Does this translate into pleasure?
Entirely up to your own ears.
I've heard supposedly flat cans that sounded woefully boring and I've heard ones that took my breath away. Both were professional studio monitors.

Another thing is, they're still discussing what exactly flat and/or neutral sounds like in a headphone. It is not the same thing as speakers.

Yeah Dave. I agree.

Trouble with achieving that 'neutral thing' is that so many amps and especially DACS really colour the overall sound canvas artificially.
To achieve reasonable neutral sounding headphones you gotta do it from the ground up, but it will never be perfect. You get it close like my current home headphone rig is pretty close but I think no headphone really is entirely neutral, so I'd agree with you on that however you can get it petty dang close. :)

🎃
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2017 at 06:38
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Wow that was weird. Gotta love that packaging! 'I have no name...'

He doesn't really mention the sound though. Just the ol head bobbing going down.

Absolute madness. I'd never buy it. Lol
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12