22 [31.88%]
27 [39.13%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2017 at 22:22
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

Since you already have two albums from the Fish era Marillion, I guess you can be done with that era very fast... either get a live album (I have "The Thieving Magpie" and "Live from Loreley") to get an overview of the whole Fish era... or just get the other two live albums. Then you might focus on whichever of the other bands you want to check out, and come back to Marillion later.

Thanks again for the suggestions man, but I don't want to be done with that era 'very fast' lol.. I'm loving it too much! Listening to Marillion right now in fact. I probably shouldn't be favoring them over the other two bands like this but I can't help it, they're just so good.
Upbeat Tango Monday View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2017 at 22:46
One more vote for Eloy
Two random guys agreed to shake hands. Just Because. They felt like it, you know. It was an agreement of sorts...a random agreement.
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2017 at 23:35
The Fish version of Marillion for me by a mile.  The Hogarth version would mean a vote for Eloy Wink
Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2017 at 02:54
Marillion in both incarnations. But don't ignore Eloy.

Ignore Amon Duul II by all means.
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.
jayem View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2017 at 06:31
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

Check out Wolf City for the best of that group of albums.  

WoOoh ! "Surrounded by the Stars " how about having Ozzy sing from around 4'45-5'10
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2017 at 14:11
I for the longest time thought Geddy Lee had an uncredited vocal stint on that album. Wink

Like Geddy.. Renate sounds best singing when she goes a bit overboard.  I think Geddy snagged his early Rush shrieking elf vocal style directly from Renate minus the completely hot heavily German accented English... which sounds amazing ... for women at least LOL
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
jayem View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2017 at 15:16
Now the ultimate dream: Thumbs Up Ozzy with a german accent Thumbs Up
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2017 at 21:15
Originally posted by YESESIS YESESIS wrote:

Since you already have two albums from the Fish era Marillion, I guess you can be done with that era very fast... either get a live album (I have "The Thieving Magpie" and "Live from Loreley") to get an overview of the whole Fish era... or just get the other two live albums. Then you might focus on whichever of the other bands you want to check out, and come back to Marillion later.

Thanks again for the suggestions man, but I don't want to be done with that era 'very fast' lol.. I'm loving it too much! Listening to Marillion right now in fact. I probably shouldn't be favoring them over the other two bands like this but I can't help it, they're just so good.

Good. For me Script is an amazying album. Easily the best by them. And the title track is just sublime. Still, I guess you can get the other two studio albums without much problem. If after that you still want to check out Hogarth era, you must take into consideration that it will be a rather different beast (though I still don't know so many albums from that era). The emotional aspect that Fish brought to the concepts and the singing is gone, and the music became more subdued, so that might take away a good part of what you are loving from them. Still, the guitars and keyboards melodies can be very good, and have their own emotion. I guess the vocals turned from angst to sadness, to try to put it some way. From the songs that I have heard from the Hogarth era, the one that really stands up for me is "Neverland"... some other good ones too, but that one's soemthing else. I might yet have some other great ones to find, though.
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2017 at 21:26

Good. For me Script is an amazying album. Easily the best by them. And the title track is just sublime. Still, I guess you can get the other two studio albums without much problem. If after that you still want to check out Hogarth era, you must take into consideration that it will be a rather different beast (though I still don't know so many albums from that era). The emotional aspect that Fish brought to the concepts and the singing is gone, and the music became more subdued, so that might take away a good part of what you are loving from them. Still, the guitars and keyboards melodies can be very good, and have their own emotion. I guess the vocals turned from angst to sadness, to try to put it some way. From the songs that I have heard from the Hogarth era, the one that really stands up for me is "Neverland"... some other good ones too, but that one's soemthing else. I might yet have some other great ones to find, though.

Yeah, I've been listening to that album and it's awesome. Hmm, I don't like a bunch of sad songs(what the heck lol), so might have to skip that second stage with the new singer then. I probably just soak up the Fish stuff and then move on to Eloy. Thanks again for all your great input man.
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2017 at 22:22
Argh!! I'll probably vote for ADII, but Eloy sure gets me grooving.
A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2017 at 01:29
Eloy (1976-1982 ie Dawn up to Time To Turn)

Blaqua View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2017 at 06:02

Marillion, for their great Fish years (don’t mean that their post-Fish era is without remarkable music).

Rayner View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2017 at 08:55
Eloy, I love Marillion to death but Eloy just brings my soul some sort of inner peace whenever i listen to them. Eloy is freaking awesome!!!!
Rayner
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2017 at 20:36

Yeah, I've been listening to that album and it's awesome. Hmm, I don't like a bunch of sad songs(what the heck lol), so might have to skip that second stage with the new singer then. I probably just soak up the Fish stuff and then move on to Eloy. Thanks again for all your great input man.

OK then, here I'm going off topic, but if you really really don't dig sad music, stay away of Porcupine Tree and Steven Wilson. As much as I love what this guy has done, his trademark is making sad music. On the other hand, perhaps some Rush would be you thing. Oh yeah, and never ever listen to Bowies last album... that must be one of the most depressing albums one can ever hear... it's his last statement before passing away, recorded while already diagnosed with cancer and knowing it was the last thing he was doing... and it really shows the mood in the music. The guy really created a piece of art out of his situation, but it's as depressing as it can get.

Edited by Dellinger - August 18 2017 at 20:38
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2017 at 12:59

I'm going off topic, but if you really really don't dig sad music, stay away of Porcupine Tree and Steven Wilson. As much as I love what this guy has done, his trademark is making sad music. On the other hand, perhaps some Rush would be you thing. Oh yeah, and never ever listen to Bowies last album... that must be one of the most depressing albums one can ever hear... it's his last statement before passing away, recorded while already diagnosed with cancer and knowing it was the last thing he was doing... and it really shows the mood in the music. The guy really created a piece of art out of his situation, but it's as depressing as it can get.

Thank again for the suggestions man. Yeah you're right actually, I tried a while back to get into Porcupine Tree and no dice. Rush I used to be a fairly big fan of back when I played drums. Just the other day I heard 'Spirit of Radio' on the radio and was like, "man, I forgot how good this is!" So maybe I should start listening to them again.

BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2017 at 08:30
I read the excellent biography Amon Düül 2 written by Ingeboirg Schober, a music journalist and friend of them. there are so many crazy incidents in the band's biography; I would love to have a movie made out of their biography. Amon Düül 2 just rock, and the trilogy "Phallus Dei", "Yeti" and "Tanz der Lemminge" is superb. I also like "Wolf City" very much. their latter albums are kind of a mixed bag; they are more conventional, but there is always at least one stand-out track, for examplee "Kismet" on "Only Human". their latest album "Düülirium" is as excellent as their earliest albums; I highly recommend it.

of Eloy I especially like their early albums "Floating" and "Inside". the really extreme German accent of Frank Bornemann is abhorrent to me though; Eloy are best when there is no singing. yes, the singers of Amon Düül 2 have German accents too, but much less pronounced than Bornemann's really horrible one.

the only Marillion album I like is "Fugazi"; their other albums leave me absolutely cold, and some are outright horrible.

conclusion: my vote goes to the Düüls

Edited by BaldJean - August 21 2017 at 08:31

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2017 at 09:51
As per usual, this type of poll brings out the factions on PA, and that is no bad thing. We all love our music under the common prog banner.

I have dabbled in some Eloy, and liked what I heard, but not enough to go bonkers. Duul leaves me utterly cold, and it will come as absolutely no surprise at all to realise that I not only recommend Marillion, but specifically Hograth era Marillion.

There was an interesting thread started about Twelfth Night recently. I tried to respond to an interesting post by Greg (Logan), but was denied by the Access Denied error message repeatedly, and gave up.

I will try again here. For me, prog was always about lifting guitars, swirling keyboards, melody, passion, love, and, above all, tunes I could relate to. I got into classic symphonic prog, some of the heavier stuff, and a metal phase when younger. I abhorred the more, ahem, "challenging" Canterbury, Zeuhl, and etc. Not that it is not clever, it just leaves me utterly cold. No melody, man.

When the 80's revival began (I rather dislike the term neo prog), it was like a blast of love washing over my ears. Bands who had their influences on their sleeves, but who, by and large, took a more post punk attitude to said influences. Marillion were the capo di capi, but IQ, Pallas, Pendragon, Twelfth Night, and others played a big part. The first four continue to make excellent and relevant music.

And here is the point about them. They have all progressed. They have all moved forward. Indeed, if you want to hear a bunch of artists who have taken a template, and shifted said template into completely new areas, then look no further than the classic neo bands. Marillion released their 17th studio album this year. f**k Everyone and Run is an album made in 2017 and absolutely relevant to 2017. They still sell out decent sized venues, and have a rapport with their fan base which is the envy of many artists. IQ have had an amazing run of albums, culminating in their finest, Road of Bones. Pendragon continue to shift forward, with varied rock influences.

So, some recommendations if you want to hear said progression. You already have some early Fish era Marillion. For Hogarth era, go for Afraid of Sunlight, Brave, Marbles, and FEAR. These are classics, and you cannot go wrong. IQ, go for Seventh House, Dark Matter, and Road of Bones. Pendragon, go for Masquerade Overture, This World, Passion, and Men Who Climb Mountains. In each of these, you will hear beauty, melody, rock, stunning stories, and progressive rock at its finest. Micky can call it what he likes. I call it prog rock which tickles the Lazland earbuds, and a sequence of albums which progress.

Edited by lazland - August 21 2017 at 14:56
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2017 at 14:06
Went with Eloy.......though I like Amon Duul 2 quite a bit but there are more Eloy albums that I like overall.
Never really warmed up to Marillion. They have never captured my attention...not sure why.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2017 at 20:22
Wow quite the range of opinions here, and this poll is really close! The first one I made was a total blowout so I guess this one makes up for it.. right on.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2017 at 21:23
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

As per usual, this type of poll brings out the factions on PA, and that is no bad thing. We all love our music under the common prog banner.

I have dabbled in some Eloy, and liked what I heard, but not enough to go bonkers. Duul leaves me utterly cold, and it will come as absolutely no surprise at all to realise that I not only recommend Marillion, but specifically Hograth era Marillion.

There was an interesting thread started about Twelfth Night recently. I tried to respond to an interesting post by Greg (Logan), but was denied by the Access Denied error message repeatedly, and gave up.

I will try again here. For me, prog was always about lifting guitars, swirling keyboards, melody, passion, love, and, above all, tunes I could relate to. I got into classic symphonic prog, some of the heavier stuff, and a metal phase when younger. I abhorred the more, ahem, "challenging" Canterbury, Zeuhl, and etc. Not that it is not clever, it just leaves me utterly cold. No melody, man.

When the 80's revival began (I rather dislike the term neo prog), it was like a blast of love washing over my ears. Bands who had their influences on their sleeves, but who, by and large, took a more post punk attitude to said influences. Marillion were the capo di capi, but IQ, Pallas, Pendragon, Twelfth Night, and others played a big part. The first four continue to make excellent and relevant music.

And here is the point about them. They have all progressed. They have all moved forward. Indeed, if you want to hear a bunch of artists who have taken a template, and shifted said template into completely new areas, then look no further than the classic neo bands. Marillion released their 17th studio album this year. f**k Everyone and Run is an album made in 2017 and absolutely relevant to 2017. They still sell out decent sized venues, and have a rapport with their fan base which is the envy of many artists. IQ have had an amazing run of albums, culminating in their finest, Road of Bones. Pendragon continue to shift forward, with varied rock influences.

So, some recommendations if you want to hear said progression. You already have some early Fish era Marillion. For Hogarth era, go for Afraid of Sunlight, Brave, Marbles, and FEAR. These are classics, and you cannot go wrong. IQ, go for Seventh House, Dark Matter, and Road of Bones. Pendragon, go for Masquerade Overture, This World, Passion, and Men Who Climb Mountains. In each of these, you will hear beauty, melody, rock, stunning stories, and progressive rock at its finest. Micky can call it what he likes. I call it prog rock which tickles the Lazland earbuds, and a sequence of albums which progress.

My first Hogarth era album was "Sounds that can't be made", after getting to know the Fish era well enough. And actually, I liked that album very much, as well as a live album from the same tour... so I expected more from FEAR... yet it left me a bit cold. I just didn't find it as beautiful as the one before. I also got a few live album from H era, and in general I don't feel they are at the same level as the Fish era (nor Sounds that can't be made). I guess I will still get Brave and Marbles (I did love Neverland)... perhaps in live albums in which they are both played completley, so that I get a few more songs from the era apart from those two albums (Marbles in the Park was available on the local music store, but when I at last made up my mind to get that one they didn't have it anymore... I hope they'll re-stock it again at least one more time (otherwise I guess I'll need to choose if I'll try to order Marbles by the Park or Marbles by the Sea). For Brave I was thinking about ordering Made Again.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>