FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedZappa’s legacy

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Zappa’s legacy
    Posted: September 06 2005 at 06:32

Without shame or embarrassment, I'd say that I am truly surprised if not offended by not spotting a single Zappa album in the listed Top 100! Not wanting to say that this, or that band that are represented there are bad, but many haven't come any close in talent, or output to the old man. Am I alone here with this observation, or times have changed so much that I'd better take a back-seat and perhaps just observe - if I am invited?!!!!!

Kinda fuming here, unable to come to terms that a great master is so ignored, or perhaps sidelined here. Maybe it's me who chose to go to bed with the wrong company?Ouch

Your inputs on this will be read with great interest.

Bj-1 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2005 at 06:41

I agree! Where is Zappa???

RIO/AVANT/ZEUHL - The best thing you can get with yer pants on!
EXERIOR Experimental tech/death/progmetal from Norway!
M. B. Zapelini View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2005 at 07:07
There is only a problem with Zappa: he was a music machine! There are so many great Zappa albums, it's very difficult to choose one.
"He's a man of the past and one of the present"
PETER HAMMILL
Paradox View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2005 at 07:18
Indeed. There are many people here who all seem to have different favourite Zappa albums.
S Lang View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2005 at 05:37
Then perhaps many of his works would qualify...?
The Hemulen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2005 at 05:41
Are you aware of how that accursed list works, I wonder? It's based on the ratings people give albums. I don't know the exact algorithm but I think it still takes into account the number of ratings. As people have pointed out, Zappa made so many albums that everyone has a different favourite. That way the reviews and ratings are far more spread over his massive discography and no one album has enough concentrated high ratings to make it onto the list.

I say abolish the whole thing. It's a useless list anyway and it's spawned far too many whingeing threads like this one.
Damen View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2005 at 05:48
Thank god Zappa isn't on the Top 100, I can't stand his work, never have been able to for some reason, some of that RIO/Avant is too out there for me, i'm still trying to make heads or tails out of Captain Beefheart.
"It's amazing that we've been able to put up with each other for 35 years. Most marriages don't last that long these days."

-Chris Squire
Poxx View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2005 at 06:14

Want Zappa in the top 100? Pick an album and submit a bunch of reviews with different names and email adresses. Use varied language and apply a comfortable amount of grammatical and spelling errors - make it look good.

That's it! You will have your Zappa album placed in the top 10 in no time.

Damen View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2005 at 06:14
Originally posted by Poxx Poxx wrote:

Want Zappa in the top 100? Pick an album and submit a bunch of reviews with different names and email adresses. Use varied language and apply a comfortable amount of grammatical and spelling errors - make it look good.

"It's amazing that we've been able to put up with each other for 35 years. Most marriages don't last that long these days."

-Chris Squire
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2005 at 06:33

Anyway Damen - so just 'cause you don't care for Zappa, he doesn't deserve to be acknowledged? Is that what you mean, 'cause that's how it comes across.
Damen View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2005 at 06:34
Originally posted by Trouserpress Trouserpress wrote:

Anyway Damen - so just 'cause you don't care for Zappa, he doesn't deserve to be acknowledged? Is that what you mean, 'cause that's how it comes across.

No, even i'm not that obtuse, i'm just too tired to make anything coherent

-Chris Squire
S Lang View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2005 at 07:40

Yeah, Trouserpress, I had the feeling of how the Top100 were arrived at, but thanks for your input. I do take some offence at the reference of "whingeing threads", though. Considering that many of whom who shape the public profile of this site were still in nappies when FZ passed away, we might just delete much of the material for few of the younger ones would have the interest, or time to research the entire site? A bit of guidance in the form of a reminder is whingeing? I think not.

My girlfriend's 17 year old younger brother said to me once. - "You know, I do like you very much, but I love you for having introduced me to FZ." Today that kid is a brilliant guitar player...   

Some attitudes I've recently encountered here by contributors really suck! There is some rot setting in, seriously dampening my original excitement and positive intent to contribute in a constructive manner to the site. I do hope that I am wrong here. 

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2005 at 08:07
Originally posted by S Lang S Lang wrote:

Yeah, Trouserpress, I had the feeling of how the Top100 were arrived at, but thanks for your input. I do take some offence at the reference of "whingeing threads", though. Considering that many of whom who shape the public profile of this site were still in nappies when FZ passed away, we might just delete much of the material for few of the younger ones would have the interest, or time to research the entire site? A bit of guidance in the form of a reminder is whingeing? I think not.

My girlfriend's 17 year old younger brother said to me once. - "You know, I do like you very much, but I love you for having introduced me to FZ." Today that kid is a brilliant guitar player...   

Some attitudes I've recently encountered here by contributors really suck! There is some rot setting in, seriously dampening my original excitement and positive intent to contribute in a constructive manner to the site. I do hope that I am wrong here. 

Sorry that you took offence by that phrase. It wasn't intended. I adore Frank Zappa (I have about 15 albums since I was introduced to his work last year and over the coming years that figure's sure to expand alarmingly) and would glady see him take the place of the myriad Rush and Dream Theater albums in that list. However, it's just not that simple. That list is nothingk more than popularity contest, which is why I dislike it. I feel it serves no real purpose other than to upset people who disagree with certain placings (and almost everyone will have their own particular grievences). In the past year I'd estimate we've had about 20 top 100 list-related threads, almost all of them concerning a complaint. In my opinion that's just too much hassle for such a trivial thing. Don't you agree?

S Lang View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2005 at 08:38
Thank you Trouserpress, I certainly agree with your above observations. I also assume that we both mean to be constructive here, but it takes a bit of time to establish as where one is coming from. Recently, I had (still having) encounters with some disappointing attitudes in the Forum pages that kinda saddens me and sometimes even testing my standards in civility. Having said that, I would welcome some changes to the site, for it's rapidly loosing it's intended appeal? 
Henry McLean View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2005 at 11:03

I ignore that list altogether.

It makes not the least of sense.

There's so many albums that should be there but aren't, and an equal number of those that are there do not deserve to.

Edited by Henry McLean
the icon of sin View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2005 at 11:21

The Top 100 has vastly improved since it was set up. "Train of Thought" was at number 3 for a period (I'm saying this as a moderate DT fan) and after just looking i can confirm its departure from the Top 100. Saying that, it's not perfect by quite a way...

As for Zappa, he has tons of albums that could make it sensibly into a Top 100. From "Hot Rats" to "Roxy and Elsewhere", from "The Grand Wazoo" to "Absolutely Free", from "Zappa in New York" to "One Size Fits All". I could go on!

Retrovertigo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2005 at 12:36
I don't see the point of the list...I mean, it acts as like a democracy averaging votes, but if we took all of the forum members here and had them review every album on the site, then yeah maybe we could have a bonafide top list with that criteria.  Small facts like people not being able to get a hold of some albums due to rarity or anything like that, make albums sadly overlooked.  Even a bonafide man-made Greatest 100 Prog Albums list would end up opinionated and debatable forever.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2005 at 13:07
Originally posted by Retrovertigo Retrovertigo wrote:

I don't see the point of the list...I mean, it acts as like a democracy averaging votes, but if we took all of the forum members here and had them review every album on the site, then yeah maybe we could have a bonafide top list with that criteria.  Small facts like people not being able to get a hold of some albums due to rarity or anything like that, make albums sadly overlooked.  Even a bonafide man-made Greatest 100 Prog Albums list would end up opinionated and debatable forever.

+10 points for Gilliam avatar.
greenback View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2005 at 13:12
yeah, zappa has too many masterpieces seen by different people to be in the top 100; the same case should apply to vangelis and TD 
[HEADPINS - LINE OF FIRE: THE RECORD HAVING THE MOST POWERFUL GUITAR SOUND IN THE WHOLE HISTORY OF MUSIC!>
Mnemosyne View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2005 at 14:52
Yeah, same case with Hawkwind
I'm a Man-Owl-Fish.
Creator-Observer-Muse.
 Post Reply Post Reply