22 [25.29%]
47 [54.02%]
18 [20.69%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pink Floyd vs King Crimson vs Black Sabbath
    Posted: August 17 2017 at 13:53
The ultimate poll of genesis, the popular genesis of birth, birth of beginnings of genres. Birth of space rock, birth of prog rock and birth of heavy metal/rock. This is not the poll for historical nittpicking but poll of historical benchmarks.
So whom is the supreme pioneer.
b_olariu View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote b_olariu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2017 at 14:12
Sabbath for me
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2017 at 14:18
Originally posted by b_olariu b_olariu wrote:

Sabbath for me

word....
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2017 at 14:43
Since this is a poll of historical benchmarks, I think King Crimson should win this one.
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The.Crimson.King Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2017 at 15:19
Very tough choice strictly on the basis of "historical benchmarks".  It could be argued that Syd & the Floyd invented psychedelic rock...Sabbath invented heavy metal...and Crimso invented prog. 

No vote for Floyd because there were other psychedelic bands blooming independently at the same time.  Same for Crimso (though none with such a dominant mellotron presence).  Sabbath though was something completely new...they created heavy metal with a mix of dark lyrical subject matter, very heavy guitar, and a vocalist who sounded like a wailing banshee Evil Smile
Wanorak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wanorak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2017 at 15:52
KC-PF-BS.
A GREAT YEAR FOR PROG!!!
Thatfabulousalien View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thatfabulousalien Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2017 at 16:00
Sabbath sabbath sabbath!
Classical music isn't dead, it's more alive than it's ever been. It's just not on MTV.

https://www.soundcloud.com/user-322914325
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2017 at 16:41

I can't believe I'm going to do this, but I'm going to vote for Sabbath. They influenced many more bands and they had a sound, just like KC, that was completely their own. Both bands have also revised their sound in the beginning of the '80s.

These are two bands that shouldn't really compete for a vote, but both are quite a few notches above the vastly overrated Floyd.
Rayner View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rayner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2017 at 16:43
Pink Floyd personally, but Crimson basically created prog. They are one of the pioneers.

Edited by Rayner - August 17 2017 at 16:48
Rayner
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2017 at 16:48
KC
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Vompatti View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vompatti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2017 at 16:50
KC, with Sabbath not far behind.
Upbeat Tango Monday View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Upbeat Tango Monday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2017 at 17:52
Crimson for me. ITCOTCK was a (if not "the") cornerstone of prog.
Sabbath was fundamental for the development of both heavy metal and stoner rock.
Floyd, while well respected for their early space/psychedelic rock, is mostly known today for bringing a simplified brand of prog for the masses. They are a prog gateway band, but they aren't as important/influential as the other two.

So: KC > BS > PF
Two random guys agreed to shake hands. Just Because. They felt like it, you know. It was an agreement of sorts...a random agreement.
maryes View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maryes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2017 at 17:57
King Crimson , naturally !
irrelevant View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irrelevant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2017 at 19:32
Poll Question: Which of these bands do you like the most

KC overall

Then Floyd
Then Sabbath
Larkstongue41 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Larkstongue41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2017 at 20:45
Only on PA's could KC lead against these two. Love this place Hug
"Larks' tongues. Wrens' livers. Chaffinch brains. Jaguars' earlobes. Wolf nipple chips. Get 'em while they're hot. They're lovely. Dromedary pretzels, only half a denar."
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2017 at 20:49
Originally posted by Icarium Icarium wrote:

So whom is the supreme pioneer.

Dylan.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2017 at 21:12
Pink Floyd just slightly edging out KC for me. I like Black Sabbath a lot too though. The funny thing is PF is the only one of these bands I haven't seen live(although I just recently saw Roger Waters).
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YESESIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2017 at 21:30
I'm not a King Crimson fan.. I'm all about Yes, Genesis, and ELP. But on this forum I will vote for them every time against those other two choices and just did so right here.
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HackettFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2017 at 22:12
KC
A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)
cemego View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cemego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2017 at 22:19
Dont get me wrong, I like and respect pink floyd but there just isnt enough content to get into.  They were too busy bickering and didn't put out enough music.  Not enough releases.  King Crimson has reinvented itself countless times and seems to be at the helm of the definition of prog.  And I know there are Pink Floyd fanatics that will hate me for this.  So go ahead and hate, but I still like them too.  Therefore, I voted for King Crimson.  (Sorry but never been a fan of Black Sabbath.  It is respectable stuff in its own right though).
listen to streaming stuff! no commercials!

http://wmom.servemp3.com:8000/listen.pls
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>