Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
22 [25.29%]
47 [54.02%]
18 [20.69%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2017 at 03:42
Originally posted by Wanorak Wanorak wrote:

KC-PF-BS.

This.

Three excellent groundbreaking bands, but KC has to be a contender for the best rock band of all time, certainly the best progressive act IMO.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Tillerman88 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tillerman88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2017 at 03:42
Originally posted by cemego cemego wrote:

Dont get me wrong, I like and respect pink floyd but there just isnt enough content to get into.  They were too busy bickering and didn't put out enough music.  Not enough releases.

Regarding PF: how do you gauge quality vs quantity???
Anyway.... with all due respect to the Ummagumma boys (that I admit I'm a fan), in that regard I go with Black Sabbath the real creators of a whole new music man ... add to that a helluva groundbreaking strike of 6 great albums in a row!.......
PS: I'll be back and vote the day I get the guts to listen to an entire KC album hahaha

Edited by Tillerman88 - August 18 2017 at 03:43
The overwhelming amount of information on a daily basis restrains people from rewinding the news record archives to refresh their memories...
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tillerman88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2017 at 03:47
Originally posted by Barbu Barbu wrote:

Dylan. 

hmmm .. Billy Joel.  ;)

The overwhelming amount of information on a daily basis restrains people from rewinding the news record archives to refresh their memories...
Mormegil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mormegil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2017 at 05:30
Crimson, followed closely by Floyd.
Welcome to the middle of the film.
Jeffro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeffro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2017 at 05:44
Originally posted by Upbeat Tango Monday Upbeat Tango Monday wrote:

They are a prog gateway band, but they aren't as important/influential as the other two.

I'm not so sure about that. Floyd had a massive influence. 
We all live in an amber subdomain, amber subdomain, amber subdomain.

My face IS a maserati
Blaqua View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blaqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2017 at 05:52

Pink Floyd for their excellent music in the 60s and 70s, I'm not fond of their subsequent material.

KC's sound in the 70s often gets bland and boring, too experimental and improvised, while lyrics are usually whatever. Also, I don't like the fact that they recorded on commercial grounds so many of their gigs. Pink Floyd have released a tiny amount of live albums. 

Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2017 at 08:11
I have to go with King Crimson on this one, not for the Metal Part, but for the inventiveness of the music . Pink Floyd is mostly blues, very well orchestrated, but blues none the less. Black Sabbath is the real Heavy Metal band here, and they were quite good at it.
digdug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote digdug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2017 at 08:35
I could argue for any of the three options

voted for Floyd
Prog On!
Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hercules Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2017 at 10:38
Love Floyd from Meddle to Animals.
Like first 4 Sabbath albums.
Dislike most KC.
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.
DeadSouls View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeadSouls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2017 at 17:44
Crimson
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2017 at 20:29
Originally posted by cemego cemego wrote:

Dont get me wrong, I like and respect pink floyd but there just isnt enough content to get into.  They were too busy bickering and didn't put out enough music.  Not enough releases.  King Crimson has reinvented itself countless times and seems to be at the helm of the definition of prog.  And I know there are Pink Floyd fanatics that will hate me for this.  So go ahead and hate, but I still like them too.  Therefore, I voted for King Crimson.  (Sorry but never been a fan of Black Sabbath.  It is respectable stuff in its own right though).

I say it's better to have quality releases than rushed releases just to have a new album out soon. Besides, I don't really think their out-put is so small, specially in the 70's. Without counting them, I believe all 3 bands released about the same amount of albums since they began until the end of the 70's.
thebeastmustdie View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote thebeastmustdie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2017 at 23:51
floyd and sabbath are odd ones for me... I respect each one's massive influence, but despite being a big fan of both bands' respective genres, I'm not a big fan of either band. They both did maximum half a dozen tracks each that I genuinely think are great. But I struggle listening to an entire album by either without getting bored.

KC wins on that basis!
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2017 at 01:11
Great answer and anlysis,im all for analyses and deductive reasoning
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tillerman88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2017 at 07:06
^yeah plenty of people here great for that, now I see clearly one more reason why KC is not for me.......

Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2017 at 15:35
The Sabbs remain an unknown commodity to me whilst Crimso blows 'Floyd out of the water and then some. It's KC, baby.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2017 at 15:58

Could be any of the three for influence or whatever - depending on how you approach it. 

But among the popular bands that even people not into prog are aware of, King Crimson means the most to me personally. So logically I will have to vote for them as supreme pioneer. 
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2018 at 18:22
King Crimson

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
ProgMetaller2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProgMetaller2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2018 at 22:05
Black Sabbath
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

― George Orwell, Nineteen Eighty-Four

"Ignorance and Prejudice and Fear walk Hand in Hand"- Neil Peart

Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2018 at 22:43
Pink Floyd
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2018 at 08:31
KC all day.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>