Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhy is McDonalds so unhealthy?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Why is McDonalds so unhealthy?
    Posted: August 19 2017 at 13:09
I never got what the fuss was about
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2017 at 15:24
It's pretty obvious, but watch "Supersize Me" if you need to.
Vompatti View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2017 at 15:33
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2017 at 17:04
^ I would have to agree, in fact the double cheeseburger is what I usually get because it has more beef & cheese than the other options.   

But nutritious is not the same as healthy and since it's usually eaten with fries and a coke, that's gonna put on the pounds and provide almost no vitamin C.   Good option on the fly and the cheap, though.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2017 at 17:25
hah... I am the king of unhealthy and a path to an early grave....and I won't touch their sh*t.
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2017 at 21:14
There's enough sodium in that sh*t to seed a salt mine.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2017 at 21:37
Maccas is alright for a quick fix, though I wouldn't rely on it for nutrition.
To be enjoyed in moderation.
Tillerman88 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2017 at 23:14
Oh boy let me guess...... are you asking me why junk food is unhealthy??

Have some McDonalds as a meal on a weekly basis and come back here after a couple of months (well.... I hope you can ha ha)

The overwhelming amount of information on a daily basis restrains people from rewinding the news record archives to refresh their memories...
condor View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2017 at 23:53
McDonalds is fast food, not junk food.
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2017 at 01:07
Originally posted by condor condor wrote:

Wow, you are able to answer back in a thread you started ShockedTongueWink
Please keep this new wholesome habit, as it doesn't look to us that you're just throwing anything that goes through your thoughts and abandonning it right away 

You're kind of right... the hamburger itself is not really junkfood, if there is some tomato , salad and onions and it not drowned under a mayo-derived sauce. AAFMOF, there was always a possibilty (since the 70's anyways) to eat in a saner way, by replacing the fries (and the sauce dip) by a salad and the coke by a club soda (sparkling water)... But the fact is that hardly no-one did it (maybe nowadays some do >> I take a burger plus a ceasar salad when I go there), so the way most people used it, it was like junk food. It seems to me that the way McD cooks their beef patties (plate/pan frying) is also much fattier than flame broiling (like Wendy's, Burger King or Harvey's), where the fat leaves the patty by gravity

But I'd say that McD is more unhealthy, it is towards the planet's future.
Not only in terms of deforestation to grow the cattle and create the soja cultures needed for this kind of mass consumption, but also by making fast-food junkies prefer this type of food instead of a more local type of dishes, this creating a sizeable worldwide traffic/transport pollution, Globally, the impact of McD on the planet's climate changes is enormous.

Edited by Sean Trane - August 20 2017 at 01:17
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2017 at 01:38
For the record, your body stores junk food calories exactly the same way as it would do to “fast food” calories. As long as the caloric intake is generally kept the same, McDonald's foods are just as unhealthy as junk foods, so they are the same garbage for this thread's subject...... as we are talking about heavily processed food for the most part.

The overwhelming amount of information on a daily basis restrains people from rewinding the news record archives to refresh their memories...
Thatfabulousalien View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2017 at 01:47
People can eat whatever the f**k they want, health societies should be worrying about disease rather than what someone chooses to eat, however cheap or expensive. If you died tomorrow, it wouldn't make a difference if you had McDonald's for dinner or not, lol
Classical music isn't dead, it's more alive than it's ever been. It's just not on MTV.

https://www.soundcloud.com/user-322914325
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2017 at 02:09
^wow man, this is really an avant-garde thought.... oh yes indeed ha haha

Edited by Tillerman88 - August 20 2017 at 02:09
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2017 at 06:50
well there is the important part.....  it simply tastes like sh*t...  it isn't like one doesn't have scores of better tasting and yeah.. even perhaps more healthy options if one is into that kind of stuff.... if one wants a quick fast food bite.
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
condor View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2017 at 11:32
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

Originally posted by condor condor wrote:

Wow, you are able to answer back in a thread you started ShockedTongueWink
Please keep this new wholesome habit, as it doesn't look to us that you're just throwing anything that goes through your thoughts and abandonning it right away 

You're kind of right... the hamburger itself is not really junkfood, if there is some tomato , salad and onions and it not drowned under a mayo-derived sauce. AAFMOF, there was always a possibilty (since the 70's anyways) to eat in a saner way, by replacing the fries (and the sauce dip) by a salad and the coke by a club soda (sparkling water)... But the fact is that hardly no-one did it (maybe nowadays some do >> I take a burger plus a ceasar salad when I go there), so the way most people used it, it was like junk food. It seems to me that the way McD cooks their beef patties (plate/pan frying) is also much fattier than flame broiling (like Wendy's, Burger King or Harvey's), where the fat leaves the patty by gravity

But I'd say that McD is more unhealthy, it is towards the planet's future.
Not only in terms of deforestation to grow the cattle and create the soja cultures needed for this kind of mass consumption, but also by making fast-food junkies prefer this type of food instead of a more local type of dishes, this creating a sizeable worldwide traffic/transport pollution, Globally, the impact of McD on the planet's climate changes is enormous.

Awesome reply; very helpful 
CosmicVibration View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2017 at 16:43
Not only the quality of the food is piss poor but all the other labeled and unlabeled ingredients expose you to a toxic cocktail.  How can a fresh hamburger bun stay mold free for over year?

I like my fries to only consist of potatoes, salt and pepper.  Sometimes other spices such as onion and garlic powder are nice.   I definitely don’t want or need an antifoaming agent in my fries.

McDonalds fries:

Potatoes, Vegetable Oil (Canola Oil, Soybean Oil, Hydrogenated Soybean Oil, Natural Beef Flavor [Wheat and Milk Derivatives]*, Citric Acid [Preservative], Dextrose, Sodium Acid Pyrophosphate (Maintain Color), Salt. Prepared in Vegetable Oil: Canola Oil, Corn Oil, Soybean Oil, Hydrogenated Soybean Oil with TBHQ and Citric Acid added to preserve freshness. Dimethylpolysiloxane added as an antifoaming agent. Contains: Wheat and Milk. *Natural beef flavor contains hydrolyzed wheat and hydrolyzed milk as starting ingredients.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2017 at 16:55
Originally posted by CosmicVibration CosmicVibration wrote:

Not only the quality of the food is piss poor but all the other labeled and unlabeled ingredients expose you to a toxic cocktail.  How can a fresh hamburger bun stay mold free for over year?

I like my fries to only consist of potatoes, salt and pepper.  Sometimes other spices such as onion and garlic powder are nice.   I definitely don’t want or need an antifoaming agent in my fries.

McDonalds fries:

Potatoes, Vegetable Oil (Canola Oil, Soybean Oil, Hydrogenated Soybean Oil, Natural Beef Flavor [Wheat and Milk Derivatives]*, Citric Acid [Preservative], Dextrose, Sodium Acid Pyrophosphate (Maintain Color), Salt. Prepared in Vegetable Oil: Canola Oil, Corn Oil, Soybean Oil, Hydrogenated Soybean Oil with TBHQ and Citric Acid added to preserve freshness. Dimethylpolysiloxane added as an antifoaming agent. Contains: Wheat and Milk. *Natural beef flavor contains hydrolyzed wheat and hydrolyzed milk as starting ingredients. 

Nuff said. Thanks man, I was trying to make a point here about the damn heavily processed food, so your input sums it up pretty well....:)

Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2017 at 02:28
Originally posted by Tillerman88 Tillerman88 wrote:

Originally posted by CosmicVibration CosmicVibration wrote:

I like my fries to only consist of potatoes, salt and pepper.  Sometimes other spices such as onion and garlic powder are nice.   I definitely don’t want or need an antifoaming agent in my fries.

McDonalds fries:

Nuff said. Thanks man, I was trying to make a point here about the damn heavily processed food, so your input sums it up pretty well....:)

Not that I doubt any of your other infos (and indeed overly-processed food is evil), but how do you figure about the bun?? Coz I never heard that. I'm sure it's filled with additives, but for years?? Confused

Even their lettuce and tomatoes are not organically-grown for sure.
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2017 at 02:46
It's no more unhealthy than any supermarket ready meal. In fact a Big Mac contains less salt and sugar than a typical 'slimmers' ready meal from any supermarket. I would stop short of saying McD's is healthy, but it's far from the poison some food snobs believe it to be.

The fact that it tastes like sh*t is another debate.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Thatfabulousalien View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2017 at 03:08
Originally posted by Tillerman88 Tillerman88 wrote:

^wow man, this is really an avant-garde thought.... oh yes indeed ha haha

"Eating healthy" is a bit of a gamble don't you think? 
Classical music isn't dead, it's more alive than it's ever been. It's just not on MTV.

https://www.soundcloud.com/user-322914325
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>