Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedLet's talk 'To the bone' by Steven Wilson

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
nfnnfn View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Let's talk 'To the bone' by Steven Wilson
    Posted: January 22 2018 at 23:21
I listened to Steven's latest album many times. At the end, I was going to give it a 3 out of 5 stars. Then I noticed that I had missed the 2nd CD. Wow! There were 3 tracks in the 2nd CD that are really great IMO and should have been in the 1st CD in lieu of Permanating.
So, my final rate would be 3+0.5=3.5 and the 0.5 is because of the 2nd CD.
nfnnfn View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2018 at 23:14
Originally posted by omphaloskepsis omphaloskepsis wrote:

I think you're doing fine nfnnfn.  The best test is an ear test.  Spend free time cruising- http://progstreaming.nl/

Keep up with the thread closest to your heart.  I like RPI,  I always read "Modern Italian" for new fresh RPI albums.  Found a bunch!   Since you read the front page, find reviewers whose taste coincide with yours.  PM them and ask questions.  Most reviewers are exceptionally helpful.   Last but not least, use the album search to your advantage.  Suppose your favorite sub genre is modern "jazz/rock fusion", ( check out the top albums from 2000-2018 in Jazz/rock fusion.)  Listen on YouTube.   Read the Jazz Rock Fusion Collaborators reviews and PM them.   

I like books and magazines.  However the best info is on Prog sites like this one and Prog blogs.  There are several Prog Rock YouTube reviewers too.  They always provide background, opinions, and info on the albums they review.

I really liked the http://progstreaming.nl/
wow!
I listened to 3 albums by random and they were mind-blowing. Thanks for the great suggestion.
I couldn't find the "Modern Italian", can you give me the link? Thanks.
nfnnfn View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2018 at 23:10
Originally posted by Booba Kastorsky Booba Kastorsky wrote:

So, yes, "prog mainstream" rules, just like anywhere else. And the "critic choice" reflects it very well! How Bent Knee made it there to the top 18 is a little wonder :)
That's why I'm also subscriber of Progression Magazine, that editor is my fellow New Englander. Guess what? His magazine is American-centric, i.e. there you can read of US  or Canadian musicians that Prog Magazine ignores :)  Although in my humble opinion, Progression is less American-centric than Progression is UK-centric. For instance, articles about Italian or South American bands are much more common there than in Prog. 
Prog Archives gives you the truest picture of what's going on in prog, because out Top lists based on wide verity of opinions from different part of the planet. And that's why our lists consist of bands and albums that  never appear in glossy magazines, probably because they are not "comfortable" enough for prog mainstream :) 

I think we need a new subgenre " Independent prog" :)
I like your suggestion "Progression Magazine"
I just opened the website and bookmarked it. The first impression is great! I am going to dig into that. In their website, they say they are the world’s longest-running print publication devoted exclusively to progressive rock and related subgenres. I thought Prog Magazine is the largest.
nfnnfn View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2018 at 22:56
Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

Sorry, Amir, you'll have to excuse my rather snooty and dismissive post, it was a bit rude of me.

I understand that magazine is very popular and it's probably quite the miracle that we have a magazine like that currently being published. Hell, I've even had quotes from my reviews pop up in ads in the magazine many times!

But I guess I just find much more excitement in the various Italian and French groups, or the prog-electronic artists or the psych/spacerock/Krautrock stuff than I do many of the more high-profile English speaking ones that get given constant coverage in it. The magazine also generally highlights only the English speaking stuff, although I suppose I do understand that. I just think a lot of people miss out on some amazing music because they dismiss it simply because it's not in English, when the magazine could be drawing more attention to them

Sorry for my rant too, I'm sure I made one or two decent points in there....kind of!

No, you are fine and thanks for the detailed answer. I totally agree with all that you said, I think I have to do my own research, for example through links listed on here:
http://progarchives.com/Progressive_rock_discography_LINKS.asp

The problem is that it becomes more time consuming and perhaps I end up using PA system!

By the way, I love RPI genre ;)
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2018 at 19:15
It's just as bad as its ever been.
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2018 at 18:28
The album is what I would describe as "popgressive".
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2018 at 15:04
I though he did Tongue
condor View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2018 at 05:28
I think it's awesome; sounds like God made it.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2018 at 14:45
Listening to Detonation at the moment. Could this be one the best tracks he's ever done?? (PT included) . Just effing brilliant.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2018 at 02:39
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Originally posted by Man With Hat Man With Hat wrote:

Its quite poor. Ironically (or perhaps fittingly) there is very little if any 'meat on the bone' with this release. The only thing that's worth a second listen is the long track (whose name I dont' remember), everything else is various degrees of passible. Permantating is easily the worst thing he has released as etiher PT or his solo output. 

Please for the love of all that is holy and beautiful let this album not win the collab poll at the end of the year. 

Agreed

I'm not sure Steven's latest will even make my list although I don't exactly have my finger on the pulse of modern prog admittedlyEmbarrassed

I'd probably put Caligula's Horse latest out top at the moment . It must be time for an Aussie band to win the poll. I'm routing for it as long as England retain the ashesLOL

well I was so wrong on many accounts not least that I have included it on my listSmile
omphaloskepsis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2018 at 16:56
Originally posted by nfnnfn nfnnfn wrote:

What do you suggest a person like me that I can read and learn more about the best and proggiest albums of the year? I know I can always check progarchives and go to the "Top 2017 Albums" page, but is there also a better magazine than prog magazine? I don't mind to pay and subscribe Smile

I think you're doing fine nfnnfn.  The best test is an ear test.  Spend free time cruising- http://progstreaming.nl/

Keep up with the thread closest to your heart.  I like RPI,  I always read "Modern Italian" for new fresh RPI albums.  Found a bunch!   Since you read the front page, find reviewers whose taste coincide with yours.  PM them and ask questions.  Most reviewers are exceptionally helpful.   Last but not least, use the album search to your advantage.  Suppose your favorite sub genre is modern "jazz/rock fusion", ( check out the top albums from 2000-2018 in Jazz/rock fusion.)  Listen on YouTube.   Read the Jazz Rock Fusion Collaborators reviews and PM them.   

I like books and magazines.  However the best info is on Prog sites like this one and Prog blogs.  There are several Prog Rock YouTube reviewers too.  They always provide background, opinions, and info on the albums they review.
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2017 at 17:28
Good points made by recent posters. Prog Magazine can be rather safe and cover the same bands - but it has helped give a focus to prog here in the UK that was sadly lacking, so it remains a favourite read of mine. However, thanks to PA and forums like this and you guys, a lot of lesser known bands from other countries do seep through! Long live prog and its incredibly wide 'church'.
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”
Booba Kastorsky View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2017 at 15:53
Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

The so called prestigious `Prog Awards' for that dreary glossy magazine always gets awarded to the most `vanilla' (read safe and bland) of prog-related albums....aimed to appeal to readers who only like the more straight-forward of English-sung prog. The most recent Anathema, Steven Wilson, Marillion and Big Big Train accolades are all fine examples of that.

If you're looking to Prog Magazine to be told what is the most exciting music being put out in the modern prog scene....you need to get out a bit more and explore some REALLY exciting music

And that's coming from someone who is actually a fan of those bands!
Excellent observation! I'm a long time subscriber of this magazine, and I'm not 100% happy about it. They have their "inner circle" or "court" :) bands and musicians they like and promote: Fairport Convention (?), Anathema, Amplifier, Von Hertzen Bothers, Mogwai, Katatonia, Enslaved, Big Big Train, Pineapple Thief, Mostly Autumn, etc. And naturally Steven Wilson. You can be sure that anything issued by those bands or their members will receive full cover by the magazine. 
Not that those bands are bad, but... How do I say that in politically correct way? Most of them are not exactly what I think prog is, and I just don't get it why they deserve so much attention.
So, yes, "prog mainstream" rules, just like anywhere else. And the "critic choice" reflects it very well! How Bent Knee made it there to the top 18 is a little wonder :)
Anyway, they definitely do not give you an entire picture of what's going on in prog. They're very UK-centric, but hey, they are British! 
That's why I'm also subscriber of Progression Magazine, that editor is my fellow New Englander. Guess what? His magazine is American-centric, i.e. there you can read of US  or Canadian musicians that Prog Magazine ignores :)  Although in my humble opinion, Progression is less American-centric than Progression is UK-centric. For instance, articles about Italian or South American bands are much more common there than in Prog. 
Prog Archives gives you the truest picture of what's going on in prog, because out Top lists based on wide verity of opinions from different part of the planet. And that's why our lists consist of bands and albums that  never appear in glossy magazines, probably because they are not "comfortable" enough for prog mainstream :) 
Booba Kastorsky View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2017 at 15:20
Originally posted by Squonk19 Squonk19 wrote:

A steady enough album - not his best, but a good enough listen - even if it flows over me a little too easily. Similar to the 'indie' PT style of 'Stupid Dream' and 'Lightbulb Sun' - where I remember Steven tried to distance himself from the prog label, as he seems to have tried with this one. Less proggy, more poppy - but no betrayal of his past either.

However, how the Prog Magazine critics managed to get it to No. 1 in the 2017 poll, is a bit of a head-scratcher for me. A lot of albums hit home much better - including Anathema's 'The Optimist' and BBT's 'Grimspound' amongst many others. Still a bit too much of a love in between all concerned when Mr Wilson is concerned at Prog magazine (Mr Ewing's review and the wall-to-wall coverage in that issue - smacked a little if desperation at times).
Hoping he can live up to the hype more with the next one - he really has a prog epic inside him somewhere!
You echoed my opinion about this album. However, I believe both Stupid Dream and especially Lightbulb Sun are stronger from songwriting quality view. I can't recall any really weak songs on Lightbulb Sun, while in my opinion, half of the songs on TTB are weak. As songs, not as prog "objects", if you know what I mean.
And yes, I was so shocked when I saw that critics (!) voted for it. This year brought many womderful albums, and many of them were not even mentioned by the magazine. Although I politely disagree with you about Anathema: in my humble opinion what they play is not prog at all, and their songwriting is not good. 

Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2017 at 21:37
Sorry, Amir, you'll have to excuse my rather snooty and dismissive post, it was a bit rude of me.

I understand that magazine is very popular and it's probably quite the miracle that we have a magazine like that currently being published. Hell, I've even had quotes from my reviews pop up in ads in the magazine many times!

But I guess I just find much more excitement in the various Italian and French groups, or the prog-electronic artists or the psych/spacerock/Krautrock stuff than I do many of the more high-profile English speaking ones that get given constant coverage in it. The magazine also generally highlights only the English speaking stuff, although I suppose I do understand that. I just think a lot of people miss out on some amazing music because they dismiss it simply because it's not in English, when the magazine could be drawing more attention to them

Sorry for my rant too, I'm sure I made one or two decent points in there....kind of!
nfnnfn View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2017 at 20:01
What do you suggest a person like me that I can read and learn more about the best and proggiest albums of the year? I know I can always check progarchives and go to the "Top 2017 Albums" page, but is there also a better magazine than prog magazine? I don't mind to pay and subscribe Smile
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2017 at 19:53
PS - Sorry for paying out those albums and artists, I know they really resonate with a lot of people and many adore their albums...
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2017 at 18:55
In regards to the shortest and most direct answer possible - The so called prestigious `Prog Awards' for that dreary glossy magazine always gets awarded to the most `vanilla' (read safe and bland) of prog-related albums....aimed to appeal to readers who only like the more straight-forward of English-sung prog. The most recent Anathema, Steven Wilson, Marillion and Big Big Train accolades are all fine examples of that.

If you're looking to Prog Magazine to be told what is the most exciting music being put out in the modern prog scene....you need to get out a bit more and explore some REALLY exciting music

And that's coming from someone who is actually a fan of those bands!
Mellotron Storm View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2017 at 14:37
Originally posted by aapatsos aapatsos wrote:

To my ears, it is an average-to-decent crossover prog album with its many ups and downs. Uneven would be the best word to describe it. Compositions are well executed but not so convincing.

I find it rather "flat" at times, quite exciting in others, notably in the longest, more elaborate tracks. I am sure it will sell many more copies compared to his previous ones; the main reason is the promotion and the fact that it is quite more accessible than anything he has done.

It's got the "I am the new Peter Gabriel" tag written all over it and that is not necessarily a bad thing as it may draw more interest to the prog rock scene.

It's not that different from what he's done in the past but the word you used "flat" is for me a good description. I feel it's an average album and I'm a Steven Wilson/ Porcupine Tree fanboy and I was actually looking forward to him going into a poppier direction because I thought he would succeed at it, but I feel he didn't. Some great music on here though but overall for me a 3 star album. 
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2017 at 14:00
A steady enough album - not his best, but a good enough listen - even if it flows over me a little too easily. Similar to the 'indie' PT style of 'Stupid Dream' and 'Lightbulb Sun' - where I remember Steven tried to distance himself from the prog label, as he seems to have tried with this one. Less proggy, more poppy - but no betrayal of his past either.

However, how the Prog Magazine critics managed to get it to No. 1 in the 2017 poll, is a bit of a head-scratcher for me. A lot of albums hit home much better - including Anathema's 'The Optimist' and BBT's 'Grimspound' amongst many others. Still a bit too much of a love in between all concerned when Mr Wilson is concerned at Prog magazine (Mr Ewing's review and the wall-to-wall coverage in that issue - smacked a little if desperation at times).
Hoping he can live up to the hype more with the next one - he really has a prog epic inside him somewhere!
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>