Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedLet's talk 'To the bone' by Steven Wilson

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2017 at 23:57
BBC Breakfast eh? I reckon Mr Wilson - would be capable of producing a long symphonic prog concept that would replicate and rival those of the mid 70's - But i'm sure that such a suggestion might frighten him more than if I had just suggested that he'd ingested Ricin.... He tried to distance himself from symphonic prog - even though he utilised its renewed popularity to sell Raven and Hand...cannot. I wonder who could be considered the king of prog rock? Any suggestions?

Edited by M27Barney - August 29 2017 at 23:58
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2017 at 03:08
Originally posted by M27Barney M27Barney wrote:

BBC Breakfast eh? I reckon Mr Wilson - would be capable of producing a long symphonic prog concept that would replicate and rival those of the mid 70's - But i'm sure that such a suggestion might frighten him more than if I had just suggested that he'd ingested Ricin.... He tried to distance himself from symphonic prog - even though he utilised its renewed popularity to sell Raven and Hand...cannot. I wonder who could be considered the king of prog rock? Any suggestions?

I'm not sure, but it wouldn't be anyone contemporary.

I have a lot of respect for Steve Wilson. He's a talented and prolific musician, I just lost interest in PT and his other work some time ago. I need to revisit. I actually didn't realis he was quite so popular beyond the prog community. The BBC were saying his album could top the charts. I would never have guessed he was that popular or well known.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2017 at 21:34
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

Originally posted by M27Barney M27Barney wrote:

I'm not sure, but it wouldn't be anyone contemporary.

I have a lot of respect for Steve Wilson. He's a talented and prolific musician, I just lost interest in PT and his other work some time ago. I need to revisit. I actually didn't realis he was quite so popular beyond the prog community. The BBC were saying his album could top the charts. I would never have guessed he was that popular or well known.

The one I can think best deserving of King of Prog would be King Crimson (or just Fripp himself). And they are not even my favourite band (though I do love them), but I can't think of anyone more deserving of that title, and that would be mostly be accepted by all. I still don't understand how he hasn't got the Prog God title on those Prog awards things... he should have been the first (and I actually like Wakeman more than Crimson).
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2017 at 21:48
Angry
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2017 at 23:50
The best of prog is always collaborative? Either via composition, arrangement and musicianship? Unless you write the theme tune, sing the theme tune etc. etc. Fripp is up there on mount Prog with a Pantheon of others, Hackett, Howe etc.....
infocat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2017 at 03:18
I passed over this album at the record store last week.  I've barely even listened to his last one.  Maybe I'll pick it up in a few years...
--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2017 at 14:09
Its quite poor. Ironically (or perhaps fittingly) there is very little if any 'meat on the bone' with this release. The only thing that's worth a second listen is the long track (whose name I dont' remember), everything else is various degrees of passible. Permantating is easily the worst thing he has released as etiher PT or his solo output. 

Please for the love of all that is holy and beautiful let this album not win the collab poll at the end of the year. 

Edited by Man With Hat - September 01 2017 at 14:11
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Prog-jester View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2017 at 10:29
Originally posted by Man With Hat Man With Hat wrote:

Please for the love of all that is holy and beautiful let this album not win the collab poll at the end of the year

well Big Big Train then? Motorpsycho? Mastodon? some obscure avant band?
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2017 at 11:00
Originally posted by Prog-jester Prog-jester wrote:

Please for the love of all that is holy and beautiful let this album not win the collab poll at the end of the year

well Big Big Train then? Motorpsycho? Mastodon? some obscure avant band?

Which BBT? :p 

but seriously, something at least in the realm of progressive rock would be nice.

Has the Motorpsycho album come out yet? 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Prog-jester View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2017 at 15:53

Has the Motorpsycho album come out yet?

Which? :p
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2017 at 12:49
Hmmm.....I like the old PT albums especially Signify, Dream , Lightbulb, Absentia, ....and Raven and Hand....in the solo area....to me the new one is simply not as interesting and the songs just aren't as good. Just a thought...but could these be songs he's written  over  the past few years that really didn't fit on his other albums so he has  now  released them...?
I don't think it's all that 'poppy' but it is less 'proggy'.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2017 at 21:33
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Hmmm.....I like the old PT albums especially Signify, Dream , Lightbulb, Absentia, ....and Raven and Hand....in the solo area....to me the new one is simply not as interesting and the songs just aren't as good. Just a thought...but could these be songs he's written  over  the past few years that really didn't fit on his other albums so he has  now  released them...?
I don't think it's all that 'poppy' but it is less 'proggy'.

As far as I understand, that was the idea of 4 1/2, to get out the material that hadn't found it's way into the previous albums.
iluvmarillion View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2017 at 01:01
I think the trap is to isolate single tracks from the album and compare them to other things he has done and then to say that this is less progressive than that and this track isn't as strong as that track. The album needs to be taken as a whole and digested like a meal with entree, mail course and desert and washed down with a good wine. I mean, if you take an album like Insurgentes, there is nothing as good as Harmony Korine on To The Bone. Yet to me, To The Bone is clearly the superior album (accepting that plenty of people will disagree with me).
omphaloskepsis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2017 at 18:14
I've heard Bone 15 times.   I like it.  From an objective viewpoint Bone is less than Grace, Raven, or Erase.

However, my subjective self rates Bone a bottom top ten 2017 album....so far-    

PhideauxFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2017 at 03:22
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2017 at 04:29
It's weird. A new Steven Wilson release used to spark excitement in me but this is the first time ever where I find myself feeling somewhat indifferent. I don't blame Steven, he's a cool chap, I have just found so many other new artists that I dig plus the ever growing avalanche of new stuff to check out.
Then again maybe I just got enough PT and Wilson in my collection already. Fact of the matter is that while I mildly enjoyed it the few times I span Bone, I don't see myself reaching for it anytime soon.
I'd love to see what Steven would come up with after say a 2 year hiatus - spending his time on a beach somewhere with a couple of cool chaps (possibly musicians/zookeepers/magicians/experimental chefs) drinking wine and smoking reefer with the local sirens.
Sure I think Neil has a point when he says 'it's better to burn out than to fade away' but sometimes you do need some fuel to get the fire going.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2017 at 14:38

Its quite poor. Ironically (or perhaps fittingly) there is very little if any 'meat on the bone' with this release. The only thing that's worth a second listen is the long track (whose name I dont' remember), everything else is various degrees of passible. Permantating is easily the worst thing he has released as etiher PT or his solo output. 

Please for the love of all that is holy and beautiful let this album not win the collab poll at the end of the year. 

Agreed

I'm not sure Steven's latest will even make my list although I don't exactly have my finger on the pulse of modern prog admittedlyEmbarrassed

I'd probably put Caligula's Horse latest out top at the moment . It must be time for an Aussie band to win the poll. I'm routing for it as long as England retain the ashesLOL
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2017 at 15:20
I think it may be one of the first times where Wilson doesn't steal the top spot.
His one shot will be all those folks who haven't heard more than 8 new albums...yet somehow they've always managed to pick up Steven's newest release
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2017 at 16:39
The more I've listened to it, the more I'm convinced that it's not very special at all. Despite two or three great tracks, it's just a bunch of reliable alt-rock pieces that have occasionally poppier moments, but it's faaaaar away from the `pop' description it was being sold as. There's nothing outright bad on it, and it's certainly an easy surface listen, but....not much more than that.

In fact, I'd have been more excited for it if it genuinely was a PROPER pop album that actually had Steven step out of his comfort zone....because for all the press release hype and comparisons, `comfortable' describes the album perfectly.
Daysbetween View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2017 at 04:47
Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

The more I've listened to it, the more I'm convinced that it's not very special at all. Despite two or three great tracks, it's just a bunch of reliable alt-rock pieces that have occasionally poppier moments, but it's faaaaar away from the `pop' description it was being sold as. There's nothing outright bad on it, and it's certainly an easy surface listen, but....not much more than that.

In fact, I'd have been more excited for it if it genuinely was a PROPER pop album that actually had Steven step out of his comfort zone....because for all the press release hype and comparisons, `comfortable' describes the album perfectly.

Agree with your views. I bought the album on vinyl expecting something a bit different but was left rather disappointed. It's an ok album which I have played quite a few times in case it was a grower but I doubt it will make my top 10 for the year while Prog magazine has it at No.1!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>