Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhat was life like before prog?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2017 at 01:59
Assuming that prog started in 67 (and not in 69 with In The Court). Before that, rock was called rock'n roll and Rhythm'n Blues... and TBH, I don't like most of it (some surf music, some RnR like Chuck Berry or Bo Diddley)
Originally posted by Manuel Manuel wrote:

Don't know.When I first got interested in music, I was introduced to Jimmy Hendrix, Cream, The Moody Blues, etc. My first LP was Jethro Tull"s "Stand Up", and I never really got into anything else, until later, when Jazz, Classical, Folk, World music called my attention. I could never get into the "Radio" music, and it has never caught my interest.

About this really... I was 4 when Trane died, when Beatles, Procol, Nice, Jefferson Airplane & Moodies released one of their major albums (their "first" for the last four), so it's not like I remember much prior to 67.

Stand Up came in my life in 69, when my dad bought it on the strength of Bourée, but I didn't really get into prog before 74 (and rock altogether in 72 >> Beatles & Stones, mainly)

However, I got into other forms of rock +/- after I got into prog - Supertramp's COTC was my first album bought with my own money, the week it was out in Canada.

Soooo, if you except Beatles & Stones, I started "Rock" by its most ambitious form.
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2017 at 03:01
Originally posted by condor condor wrote:

I can't imagine it.

Dinosaurs roamed the earth before Prog, then returned for a short spell until about 1978, then pissed off again.
noni View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2017 at 04:40
Life moves on in all directions.   I loved that early 50s- 60s hits then the 70s pop.  Love Classical and Jazz and all of a sudden prog appeared!!..  Smile
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2017 at 04:54
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Rock was rock n roll, jazz was jazz, classical was classical and folk was folk. No one thought of combining them and they never really intersected much(if at all). Folk rock does predate prog though and so does classical music in pop and rock but prog mixed things up even more and put them all in a blender. 

Jazz was pretty much "world music" right from the very beginning interpreting folk tunes (and popular songs) from all over the world + incorporating classical themes.

-and have you ever heard of Hungarian Dances (Brahms), Romanian Folk Dances (Bartok), Norwegian Dances (Grieg)? - to name a few obvious ones. 

Kingsnake View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2017 at 05:06
Rhythm and blues was already a mix up of blues and rock'n'roll, because blues didn't have drums in the beginning. So that's already a progtendency in the 1950's
Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2017 at 16:22
I remember it well.

I was in my late teens when prog first emerged, just about to leave public school to enter the hallowed colleges of one of Britain's most ancient universities to study the universe and everything else.

And before prog, musically life was dull and dominated by the 3 minute single. I didn't like most of it.
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2017 at 17:05
Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

Rock was rock n roll, jazz was jazz, classical was classical and folk was folk. No one thought of combining them and they never really intersected much(if at all). Folk rock does predate prog though and so does classical music in pop and rock but prog mixed things up even more and put them all in a blender. 

Jazz was pretty much "world music" right from the very beginning interpreting folk tunes (and popular songs) from all over the world + incorporating classical themes.

-and have you ever heard of Hungarian Dances (Brahms), Romanian Folk Dances (Bartok), Norwegian Dances (Grieg)? - to name a few obvious ones. 

Sure but just because Aaron Copeland incorporated a folk tune into his composition doesn't make him any less classical. Prog made the differences stand out. It was obvious there was other stuff in there. 
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2017 at 04:34
It was not so bleak. Before prog there was Revolver, Sgt. Pepper's, Are You Experienced? and Days of Future Passed. It was groovy, dig?

Edited by SteveG - August 26 2017 at 04:35
Man Erg View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2017 at 05:05
I would have been grooving to Miles Davis, John Coltrane and Ornette Coleman.

Do 'The Stanley' otherwise I'll thrash you with some rhubarb.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2017 at 06:13
Originally posted by Man Erg Man Erg wrote:

I would have been grooving to Miles Davis, John Coltrane and Ornette Coleman.
Cool is as cool does! Cool
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2017 at 06:56
Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

I hear it was horrible. Just like this

The Faith Tones Use Me Jesus, Worst Album Covers, I mean really bad album covers. Horrible album covers funny album covers classic vinyl lps funny pictures, funny album covers, strange album covers, bizarre rock albums gospel country albums, disco albums rap albums

I still maintain that is Robbie Coltrane in drag on the right.

Ummm....before prog, the universe consisted of nothing more elaborate than a fat maroon sofa suspended in the midst of a great emptiness.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2017 at 07:23

Sure but just because Aaron Copeland incorporated a folk tune into his composition doesn't make him any less classical. Prog made the differences stand out. It was obvious there was other stuff in there. 
Not sure what point you are trying to make. Doesn't make it any less classical? Uh... well it to me it certainly makes most music composed during the romantic era quite a different listening experience than composers of the classical period. The way I see it in both jazz and within the classical tradition its easy (most of the time) to hear when a composition is based on a folk tune or "foreign" traditions/scales... - and by that incorporating another "language of sound" rather than mainly taking inspiration from its own established tradition. Much like rock does when we call it prog rock.    
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2017 at 10:40
Hi,

Hard to think that one "something" in music created the world ... and then there was light and a stage and some more bs that we decided to call "progressive".

If you listen to music around the world, instead of just one culture or two, you will find that music has been "progressive" for hundreds of years, and that considering Stravinsky "progressive" during HIS TIME, is just about the same as we look at our "progressive" and consider it so important, that life could not exist before it. The "new" attitudes and abilities and exposition of it, was astounding to say the least, with youngsters that were capable of doing music with more ability than many folks with decades of study and work.

The progressions and newer material in the 20th century, were probably the most widely varied of any century prior, and the 20th century will likely be remembered as the one time when music exploded, with more variations and "styles" than we could possibly imagine.

But this colonial thinking, is kinda sad ... the world was there before and will be there after it. We just might call it something else other than "progressive".
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2017 at 10:51
awesome!!!!!  I love a man who is over even my head.  Time to start a new PA's tradition... everytime Pedro posts.... everyone takes a shot.... or throws down the rest of his beer.

Done.... and popping open another. wooo hoooo!!!! Beer
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2017 at 11:07
I could get very very drunk, I'm in!
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2017 at 11:17
LOLClapBeerThumbs UpCool
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2017 at 11:41
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

I could get very very drunk, I'm in!
Not me. Pedro posts once every three months! Confused That's a long time between shots! LOL
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2017 at 11:48
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

awesome!!!!!  I love a man who is over even my head.  Time to start a new PA's tradition... everytime Pedro posts.... everyone takes a shot.... or throws down the rest of his beer.

Done.... and popping open another. wooo hoooo!!!! Beer
Ok again its a little judgmental over anyone with a different approach than himself, but that's to be expected. Still this time Pedro's post made perfect sense to me and I believe-or I know that what he writes is pretty much correct. I don't know... its nice to drink beer, be unpretentious, have a good time and all that but I don't think its nessecary to make fun of Moshkito's posts without even trying to understand. Among the unsympathetic underestimating of others (that would be great if he just stopped doing completely) I've read plenty of valuable things he has written too. And to me this is one of the more meaningful posts.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2017 at 12:10
Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

I hear it was horrible. Just like this

The Faith Tones Use Me Jesus, Worst Album Covers, I mean really bad album covers. Horrible album covers funny album covers classic vinyl lps funny pictures, funny album covers, strange album covers, bizarre rock albums gospel country albums, disco albums rap albums

Haha.

I know that's a joke, but just add some fine stuff from 1964.

We also had jazz's Yusef Lateef's Eastsen Sounds, Herbie Hancock's Empyrean Isles, and Eric Dolphy's Out to Lunch. And we had stuff like The Holy Modal Rounders. Plus Stockahausen's Mixtur. And in 1964 we also had soundtracks such as Ennio Morricone's A Fistful of Dollars and I Malamondo, as well as John Barry's Goldfinger.

Cool times.

Edited by Logan - August 26 2017 at 12:12
Just a fanboy passin' through.
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2017 at 12:53
Originally posted by Manuel Manuel wrote:

Don't know.When I first got interested in music, I was introduced to Jimmy Hendrix, Cream, The Moody Blues, etc. My first LP was Jethro Tull"s "Stand Up", and I never really got into anything else, until later, when Jazz, Classical, Folk, World music called my attention. I could never get into the "Radio" music, and it has never caught my interest.
More or less this ^
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>