Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhat was life like before prog?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2017 at 16:31
Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

awesome!!!!!  I love a man who is over even my head.  Time to start a new PA's tradition... everytime Pedro posts.... everyone takes a shot.... or throws down the rest of his beer.

Done.... and popping open another. wooo hoooo!!!! Beer
Ok again its a little judgmental over anyone with a different approach than himself, but that's to be expected. Still this time Pedro's post made perfect sense to me and I believe-or I know that what he writes is pretty much correct. I don't know... its nice to drink beer, be unpretentious, have a good time and all that but I don't think its nessecary to make fun of Moshkito's posts without even trying to understand. Among the unsympathetic underestimating of others (that would be great if he just stopped doing completely) I've read plenty of valuable things he has written too. And to me this is one of the more meaningful posts.

oh how interesting...

you think that was Bad Micky? Picking on poor misunderstood Pedro.

tsk tsk....  unlike my good side... my bad side is very direct.  If I was out to pick on Pedro.. he'd know it. I'm not big on mincing words when confronted with that which displeases me haha.  Pedro however has been around enough to know that my good side is not that much better place to be than my bad side.  It isn't enough for me to tell him, or anyone.. great post. Any forum simpleton can say that.

Think of that man... Pedro is the proud owner of the first and only PA's drinking game. That isn't an insult.. it's a f**king HONOR man. Given to one of the jewels and gems of the site. Pedro is a big boy.. and knows what the score is here. LOL

Good post?...  f**king boring.... and meaningless.  A drinking game?  Priceless
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2017 at 18:15
^I don't know how you read "poor Pedro" into what I wrote. And I wasn't asking you to tell him that it was a great post. I just don't get what is so awesome about ridiculing it in a way that would make just about anything come across as stupid. Its no big deal. You do as you please. Enjoy your drinking game. 
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2017 at 18:58
A friend of mine, who is older than i am said it was a little like this......

The Flintstones wallpaper probably with anime called The Flintstones Animation Sericel cel

Fred Flintstone

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
mlkpad14 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2017 at 19:42
Prog was destined to show up.
https://gamecrazyprofessional.weebly.com/
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2017 at 12:59
Originally posted by mlkpad14 mlkpad14 wrote:

Prog was destined to show up.

Actually it looks like that it was destined to get drunk, now!

Just like the blues and all the rest of the rock world!

Oh well ... it was good while it lasted! Micky is buying the next 5 rounds everyone!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2017 at 16:10
With pleasure! Beer  Really make me happy with more continued killer lysergic posting brilliance and I'll see about getting the famed Bulgarian bartending duo from the bar across the street here to drop in and they'll curl your toes as well as help trash your liver LOL
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2017 at 18:45
Bruno Walter was alive!Thumbs Up
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2017 at 20:14
I think what people have to realize is that prog didn't just come out of nowhere. It was born in a climate of experimentation and there was a lot of stuff that led up to prog especially psychedelic rock. The psychedelic bands made prog possible in my opinion. If you listen to stuff like the Doors, Iron Butterfly, Love, even Frank Zappa and the Beatles there was plenty of groundwork laid for prog to follow.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2017 at 20:28
And Fifty Foot Hose's Cauldron from 1967.

Just a fanboy passin' through.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2017 at 22:00
Well, there were a lot of them. I suppose if you mention FFH then you could also mention Silver Apples, the United States of America, the Zodiac, Whitenoise etc. I wasn't trying to be complete with the few bands I listed. Since you listed what was an early example of a rock band with electronics I thought I would add a few more here. :) I don't want this to go on and on because we could be here all day. I do think it's fair to say however, that these types of psych bands were ahead of the curve as far as technology goes which led to more experimentation which planted the seeds for prog in some ways. However, I don't think for the most part the synthesizer was a prerequesite for early prog. There's none on the KC debut and most early seventies English bands didn't seem to get one until 72 or so(not counting a few obvious examples like ELP, GG and Yes). Even Genesis didn't have a synth on an album until 1973!

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - August 27 2017 at 22:05
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2017 at 00:42
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Even Genesis didn't have a synth on an album until 1973!
I agree with you in general but jazz and how it developed from late 50's and throughout the 60's is just as much a direct scource of inspiration for prog as Psychedelic rock + there's plenty of lovely mellotron on Seven Stones and Fountain of Salmacis
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2017 at 01:04
Understood, was posting on my phone and was going to write more, but didn't have the time so I posted anyway.

Off on many tangents:

By the way, I love Silver Apples, the United States of America, the Zodiac and White Noise, and Terry Riley and Pierre Henry were doing great stuff around that time (if not setting the groundwork for Prog). One also has artists like David Axelrod that I think had some of the qualities that we later find in Prog.

Definitely psych was important to the formation of Prog, and bands such as Cream and Jimi Hendrix. Jazzy, and jammy rock bands and.... I actually have always felt the Cream could be considered proto-prog, but that view seems peculiar to most. Also jazzy ones such as early Soft Machine, Pink Floyd, acts such as The Moody Blues, Procol Harum, and Family.

I actually don't have strong feeling for when Prog started. There was obviously a progression towards it, but when did it truly get there? Many say with In the Court of the Crimson King, but Amon Duul II's Phallus Dei, Soft Machine's second, Colosseum's Valentyne Suite, Can's Monster Movie, Frank Zappa's Hot Rats, and lots of others came out around the same time, but aside from knowing which month each came out, which I don't I do suppose that the King Crimson has the most traditional Prog characteristics and seems to be the one people like to say really got the movement started.

I tend to think that there was no firm start, which is why people still debate it to this day.   Of course it also depends upon how loosely you define Prog.

Anyway that aside, there was so much great music in the 60s Prog, Prog Related or not.

Edited by Logan - August 28 2017 at 01:08
Just a fanboy passin' through.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2017 at 04:03
^Nice post Logan. In a nutshell, there was psych rock, avant electronica and Miles Davis and company. The founders of all future prog. So, it was hardly boring and Neolithic. And now, I'll have a shot.
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2017 at 06:38
Electrons and protons and crap.
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2017 at 10:27
Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Even Genesis didn't have a synth on an album until 1973!
I agree with you in general but jazz and how it developed from late 50's and throughout the 60's is just as much a direct scource of inspiration for prog as Psychedelic rock + there's plenty of lovely mellotron on Seven Stones and Fountain of Salmacis

When did the mellotron become a synthesizer? A mellotron isn't any more of a synth than an organ is. It's the first instrument to use samples but it's not an electronic instrument per se. 

Yes, prog drew from different sources but it was still called progressive rock and not progressive jazz. Being that psychedelic rock was and is rock it is or at least was the closest relative especially considering how it was around at the same time and grew out of it. Heck I even see the Soft Machine and the Nice referred to as psychedelic bands sometimes as well as a few others. Psychedelia drew from different sources too.

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - August 28 2017 at 10:31
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2017 at 10:43
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Understood, was posting on my phone and was going to write more, but didn't have the time so I posted anyway.

Off on many tangents:

By the way, I love Silver Apples, the United States of America, the Zodiac and White Noise, and Terry Riley and Pierre Henry were doing great stuff around that time (if not setting the groundwork for Prog). One also has artists like David Axelrod that I think had some of the qualities that we later find in Prog.

Definitely psych was important to the formation of Prog, and bands such as Cream and Jimi Hendrix. Jazzy, and jammy rock bands and.... I actually have always felt the Cream could be considered proto-prog, but that view seems peculiar to most. Also jazzy ones such as early Soft Machine, Pink Floyd, acts such as The Moody Blues, Procol Harum, and Family.

I actually don't have strong feeling for when Prog started. There was obviously a progression towards it, but when did it truly get there? Many say with In the Court of the Crimson King, but Amon Duul II's Phallus Dei, Soft Machine's second, Colosseum's Valentyne Suite, Can's Monster Movie, Frank Zappa's Hot Rats, and lots of others came out around the same time, but aside from knowing which month each came out, which I don't I do suppose that the King Crimson has the most traditional Prog characteristics and seems to be the one people like to say really got the movement started.

I tend to think that there was no firm start, which is why people still debate it to this day.   Of course it also depends upon how loosely you define Prog.

Anyway that aside, there was so much great music in the 60s Prog, Prog Related or not.

Yep. I wasn't trying to imply that psych was the only influence on prog only that it seems to me that it was the most direct one at the time and the experimentation of psych(look at early PF for example) seem to led to prog(either directly or indirectly). 

I would also add the debuts by Caravan, VDGG and Soft Machine to your list also as well as Family and a couple of more obvious choices such as The Nice, Procol Harum, Moody Blues and maybe a few others.

As a side note we unfortunately lost both David Axelrod and Pierre Henry earlier this year. 

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - August 28 2017 at 10:45
Kepler62 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2017 at 13:13
This was definitely one of the first "progressive" albums.

1966!

Image result for Larry coryell free spirits

Edited by Kepler62 - August 28 2017 at 13:16
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2017 at 14:25
Answer: Not worth living.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2017 at 14:51
Originally posted by miamiscot miamiscot wrote:

Answer: Not worth living.
Speak for yourself. I had Chuck Berry!

Edited by SteveG - August 28 2017 at 14:53
Cosmiclawnmower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2017 at 15:24
Image result for jerry lee lewis
Jerry Lee Lewis!!!

Image result for little richard
Little Richard!!

Image result for gene vincent
Gene Vincent!!!

Add John Coltrane, Miles Davis, Woody Guthrie, Lonnie Donegan and a whole loada of Blues, gospel and Afro American players, early motown not to mention big band swing, Classical of every era, age, shape and form..

Its just evolution...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>