Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedgenesis (abacab)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: genesis (abacab)
    Posted: September 01 2017 at 12:47
Upon listening for the 4 th time i discovered not without a couple of duds ,for a Canadian guy raised on prog,this is not really a terrible record ,the opener for one is a very strong heavy metal vibe or punk style song .Later the the songs i find most appealing is ME AND SARAH JANE ,NO REPLY AT ALL as for DODO/LURKER although kinda silly is well constructed ,my fav has got to be KEEP IT DARK the duds for me was THE MAN ON THE CORNER ,LIKE IT OR NOT which i feel belongs on a phil collins solo works ,the worst was of course WHODUNNIT ,any other thoughts please share. thank you for reading grant

Edited by grantman - September 01 2017 at 15:43
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2017 at 13:39
It served its purpose (especially Me and Sarah Jane).
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2017 at 14:02
I think Duke and even ATTWT are more consistent but it's certainly not the terrible album it's sometimes made out to be. I think even the so called duds such as "another record" and "who dunnit" are fun to listen to. It's sort of like the little brother to Duke in the same way that Big Generator is to 90125 or that the Final Cut is to the Wall. :) There are even some full on prog songs like the title track and Dodo/lurker. Other than that mostly quirky pop. I think they were influenced by solo Peter Gabriel at the time and maybe even XTC.
UMUR View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2017 at 14:23
Originally posted by grantman grantman wrote:

Upon listening for the 4 th time i discovered not without a couple of duds ,for a Canadian guy raised on prog,this is not really a terrible record ,the opener for one is a very strong heavy metal vibe or punk style song .Later the the songs i find most appealing is ME AND SARAH JANE ,NO REPLY AT ALL as for DODO/LURKER although kinda silly is well constructed ,my fav has got to be KEEP IT DARK the duds for me was THE MAN ON THE CORNER ,LIKE IT NOT which i feel belongs on a phil collins solo works ,the worst was of course WHODUNNIT ,any other thoughts please share. thank you for reading grant

Yeah in recent years I´ve actually found that Abacab is a pretty good album too. Keep It Dark is a great track indeed...
Kepler62 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2017 at 14:39
saw them in Jarry Park in Montreal on the '82 tour. Think it was in August. As I remember it was really a Phil Collins showcase. They had made a complete transition on that album to a full blown pop band. They were really big in Quebec in the early 70s but for some reason they had an even bigger following. But I remember us older fans not really liking the new thing with Phil. It's interesting that they reunited with Gabriel a couple of months later for that reunion 6 Of The Best in London. It's not an album I put on the turntable that often. It can become quite annoying. The last album that I can barely  tolerate by Genesis is ATTWT.
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2017 at 16:14
Great production and pretty original material for the time; probably their cleanest, best sounding recording.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
mlkpad14 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2017 at 17:02
It's my favorite album by them, besides maybe Trick and SEBTP.
https://gamecrazyprofessional.weebly.com/
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2017 at 17:25
decent album
I don't get Who Dunnit, not even as a joke.

Submarine was a B-side... really? that's gotta be a wtf moment...

Edited by Cristi - September 01 2017 at 17:25
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2017 at 21:44
I haven't heard it in a good while, but as I remember it was the worst album I have heard from them, and I'm just missing a few from the 80's albums (I think only the self titled album). Besides "Dodo / Lurker", I just found nothing to like on it, and not because it has pop songs (there are a few from the other albums that I do like a lot), but because they are just forgettable, boring, or even annoying. By the way, there's an extended version of Dodo / Lurker that is really cool.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2017 at 21:58
A mixed bag of Crossover Prog and a couple of duds (I'm looking at you, Who Dunnit ?). Another Record started out promising, but got bland very quickly. The rest of the tunes I don't mind, to varying degrees. Dodo/Lurker being very good, quirky even.
My rating :
Abacab - 4
No Reply At All - 2.5
Me And Sarah Jane - 4
Keep It Dark - 4
Dodo/Lurker - 4
Who Dunnit ? - 0
Man On The Corner - 3
Like It Or Not - 3
Another Record - 1
25.5 out of 45 = roughly 57 %. Barely a 3 star album, but some good stuff here and there, let down by a few 'clunkers'.

Edited by Tom Ozric - September 01 2017 at 22:08
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2017 at 15:15
I definitely don't consider it one of Genesis' better albums but it is good. Obviously the title track is a monster. No Reply at All was on the radio all the time in the 80's, so that kind of success speaks for itself. And then the rest of the songs are good but not great imo, with Like it or Not being pretty underrated. 
Cosmiclawnmower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2017 at 15:52
I saw them at the Showerings pavilion in Shepton mallet in Somerset in September 1982; I remember that pretty much every time the played a pre '& then there were three' track, Phil would say 'this is the last time we are going to play this sh*t'... but it was a good show and they finished with 'Suppers ready'.. It stuck in my throat at the time but looking back I guess they were bored with playing older tracks when they felt they were on the verge of making new, shiny and more streamlined music. In hindsight, its all part of their legacy and it was just of the time. The lp is to me, as much of a period piece as their earlier work and has a much more direct, 'worked out live as a 3 piece in the studio' feel and certainly reminds me of my life at the time. There are some good tracks and some duff tracks but I feel that the fact that the 2 best tracks from the lp sessions, Submarine and Naminanu, ended up as 'B' sides shows that although they still had prog- fusion tendencies, they preferred to keep it hidden away!

Chula Vista View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2017 at 13:08
Prefer the self titled "Genesis" (1983) of that era more but Dodo/Lurker is an amazing song.
I'd much rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy.
Argo2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2017 at 13:34
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

I think Duke and even ATTWT are more consistent but it's certainly not the terrible album it's sometimes made out to be. I think even the so called duds such as "another record" and "who dunnit" are fun to listen to. It's sort of like the little brother to Duke in the same way that Big Generator is to 90125 or that the Final Cut is to the Wall. :) There are even some full on prog songs like the title track and Dodo/lurker. Other than that mostly quirky pop. I think they were influenced by solo Peter Gabriel at the time and maybe even XTC.

I like the " little Brother to Duke" analogy. I think that's pretty accurate. It does have a few good songs on it though & it was kind of a gateway album to Genesis for me.
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2017 at 18:05
Originally posted by Chula Vista Chula Vista wrote:

Prefer the self titled "Genesis" (1983) of that era more but Dodo/Lurker is an amazing song.

Absolutely agree. Up until the last two songs that album is really excellent. 

Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2017 at 19:24
^ It's Gonna Get Better is quite a decent tune, though Phil can be cringe-inducing with his falsettos.
I prefer s/t over Abacab too.
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2017 at 19:30
I like that one.
lostrom View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2017 at 00:26
Abacab is their best post Hacket album.
lostrom
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2017 at 05:58
Originally posted by lostrom lostrom wrote:

Abacab is their best post Hacket album.

better than ATTW3 and Duke? 
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2017 at 06:18
It's as good as Duke ad better than what came after. If anyone recalls my dissing of Duke, that's not saying much. The second half of the title track was very good. I agree with David that it was their cleanest, best sounding recording.
A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>