Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedgenesis (abacab)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2017 at 15:26
Originally posted by Rednight Rednight wrote:

Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

ATTWT is actually one of my favourite Genesis albums. For me not a weak song or track in evidence and it all holds together really well. Yes they were in the process of inventing 'Neo Prog' but that was not a bad thing in my book. Where I had more of an issue is when the music started to become a bit plastic. BTW Tony still managed to write one of the best 'rejected' songs ever 'When The Light Went Out' when he was going through his slump!
Ballad of Big, Snowbound, and Deep In the Motherlode? Outside of those, it's a fine album in its own right. Just love The Day The Light Went Out too.

Ballad Of Big - I like a lot especially the cheesy lycrics!
Snowbound - It's that wall of sound thing they were doing at the time. All about production. I don't mind the lyrics either.
Deep In The Motherlode is classic Genesis imo. Maybe prefer the live version a bit more though.

Edited by richardh - September 15 2017 at 15:27
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2017 at 16:22
I find Abacab hard to appreciate. The title track sounds unfinished on this album (the Three Sides Live version is how it should be). Me and Sarah Jane is decent, but somehow it sounds to my ears as if it just misses the point. Who Dunnit: ultimate crap. Keep it Dark and, to a lesser extent, Another Record are quite OK and Dodo/Lurker is one of the best post-Hackett Genesis tracks. The other songs are to be classified as forgettable filler.

StarStar

Edited by someone_else - September 15 2017 at 16:27
Chula Vista View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2017 at 16:41
I'd been a fan of Genesis since Nursery Cryme ATTWT is the first album by them I didn't like. Collins had done a good job for stepping up after Gabriel left and I really dug both t**tW and TOTT. Losing Hackett was just too much. I did end up liking Duke a lot but mainly because it hit home seeing as I was going through relationship issues at the time.
I'd much rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy.
BunBun View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2017 at 18:59
I love this album, i personally find that this is the most listened to post-Hackett album by me. I love the title song, Me and Sarah Jane, and Dodo (and the long version with submarine and Naminau). However, it has one of their absolute worst songs which is Who Dunnit, I really don't get it. But overall I think the material was a good change up from their other material with catchy, fresh, original stuff.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123