Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Which band first got you into prog?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 10>
Poll Question: Which of these bands is most responsible for getting you into prog?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
6 [3.21%]
0 [0.00%]
8 [4.28%]
13 [6.95%]
0 [0.00%]
18 [9.63%]
0 [0.00%]
10 [5.35%]
6 [3.21%]
14 [7.49%]
6 [3.21%]
6 [3.21%]
0 [0.00%]
35 [18.72%]
1 [0.53%]
11 [5.88%]
3 [1.60%]
0 [0.00%]
3 [1.60%]
0 [0.00%]
30 [16.04%]
17 [9.09%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stegor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2018 at 19:15
Aqualung then DSOTM then Relayer then ITCOTCK... after that it was a blur
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2018 at 07:10
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Originally posted by REXFORD REXFORD wrote:

Originally posted by iluvmarillion iluvmarillion wrote:

The Doors
they aren't prog.

what they were doing is seen by many as proto-prog. I kinda agree. :)
Bands I listened before i got into prog were Creedence, Lynyrd Skynyrd, ZZ Top, Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple, the Beatles, Stones, Jimi Hendrix Experience and also the Doors. Really easy to think at least Zeppelin, Purple, Beatles, Hendrix & the Doors as a gateway to prog.
For Nobody's Bush View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote For Nobody's Bush Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2018 at 18:08
ELP, Pictures, then Tarkus.
deafmoon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deafmoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2018 at 01:24
Jethro Tull.
Deafmoon
Ian Stuart View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Stuart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2018 at 23:42
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

Tull, Yes, King Crimson, Moody Blues, ELP and Pink Floyd simultaneously. You heard them all on any given day in the early 70s. People didn't listen to music in a sterile internet vacuum back then. FM radio, unadulterated, non-corporate and rebellious, gave you the whole shebang. Often album by album.

This also covers my best thoughts: the perfect timing of my age (high school), the era of music (British "invasion" and vintage Prog) and the amazing Clyde Clifford with Beaker Street. What a combo!

b_olariu View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote b_olariu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2018 at 05:43
Jethro Tull
wiz_d_kidd View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wiz_d_kidd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2018 at 09:38
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Which of these bands is the most responsible for you getting into prog for the first time?

This is kind of a weird question because it presupposes that "prog" existed before you started listening to it. So it might only pertain to relative "youngsters".

Many of us started listening to this music in the late 60's or early 70's as the bands emerged, and it wasn't called "prog" then. That term came later. So for us, the question would be "Which band, currently recognized as prog, did you listen to first?". For me, it would be a tie between Crimson and Floyd. I simply can't remember which one I started listening to first.
Argo2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argo2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2018 at 10:39
"Other (please specify(even if it's Asia ;)))"

In a way Asia did have a substantial roll to play in my prog journey.
Though the first prog bands I remember as a kid were Yes & Renaissance  
when I was a teen Asia was big & got me listening to more Yes, ELP, Genesis... and on from there. 
Stool Man View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stool Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2018 at 02:48
Pink Floyd, in about 1972. Atom Heart Mother followed by Ummagumma on the same day. I was ten.
rotten hound of the burnie crew
enigma View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote enigma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2018 at 02:57
Of the ones listed, Marillion (script, fugazi & misplaced childhood)
Prior to that though it was Dire Straits - Alchemy. The long pieces on there were great (telegraph road, once upon a time in th West & sultans of swing)
Also Jean Michel jarre - rendezvous.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2018 at 18:57
Originally posted by wiz_d_kidd wiz_d_kidd wrote:

Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Which of these bands is the most responsible for you getting into prog for the first time?

This is kind of a weird question because it presupposes that "prog" existed before you started listening to it. So it might only pertain to relative "youngsters".

Many of us started listening to this music in the late 60's or early 70's as the bands emerged, and it wasn't called "prog" then. That term came later. So for us, the question would be "Which band, currently recognized as prog, did you listen to first?". For me, it would be a tie between Crimson and Floyd. I simply can't remember which one I started listening to first.

Yes, if you want to be pedantic you can word it that way. The bands are the most important not the label. Yes, the bands existed before you started to listen to them. I'm interested in knowing what bands eventually led you to discover the genre as a whole. I don't see how that's so difficult to understand.

If I said what heavy metal band did you first hear someone could say Black Sabbath even though BS weren't universally recognized as hm when someone might have first heard them. Same thing. But let's not get caught up in trying to prove revisionism or be pedantic about it. 

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - October 07 2018 at 18:59
Treignac View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Treignac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2018 at 02:49
First of all, my first sixteen years were only rocked by the classical music. My preferences went towards Borodine, Rimsky-korsakov, Moussorgsky and Ravel. At 13, I heard for the first time Miles Davis. I  was impressed by his inventiveness, but without money, I do not have to buy of records at that time. 
But my first meeting with the prog will really take place only at 17. A school friend make me listen : King Crimson, Pink Floyd, Jethro Tull, Uriah Heep, Caravan or Magma in some weeks.
My first purchase was for ELP (Classical roots for sure) and today, it was one of my favorite act.
socrates17 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote socrates17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2018 at 15:57
I strongly maintain that Procul Harum was the first prog band, so I voted Other: Procol Harum.  Even from the first album, how are Cerdes & Repent Walpurgis not prog?  Out of the bands listed, King Crimson which Scott Muni played on his Things from England segment before the LP came out here, but I'd already seen Procol Harum live 4 times (once at the Anderson Theater sharing a bill with Moby Grape and 3 times at the Fillmore East) before Scott played the KC on WNEW-FM.
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uduwudu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2018 at 01:39
Hard to say. Where I lived when I were a kid there were a lot of students around ad friends older bros and sisters . So I heard KC's Lizard at one place, Tull's Living In The Past and Stand Up at another. Pink Floyd were probably the most significant (you can see what this little by was going to grow into). Add into that the sounds of the Beatles, Stones, Cream and the Doors... Oh loved the Moodies (Ride My See Saw. Also like jazz, the cool kind and bebop. Funny child. First..? No idea. Things just don't happen in sequential form.
zwordser View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zwordser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2018 at 13:37
Between Rush and Yes for me.

Rush came first, but since it was while listening to a ton of Yes that I first found out what "Progressive Rock" was (and subsequently started exploring a lot more), I chose Yes.
Z
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2018 at 14:02
It would have to be Rush, the ultimate prog gateway band, the bridge between high school power-rock and the complex, thoughtful stuff.   How many countless young people did Rush attract to a larger world of rock music, we may never know.

Floyd?   Nah, too abstruse.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2018 at 14:26
^Rush is the ultimate prog gateway band? I think these days they probably are(along with Pink Floyd)but I think at one point Yes and Genesis were more so than Rush. I think most Rush fans were just hard rock fans. It wasn't until the internet and social media that Rush were labelled prog and the younger folks started picking up on it and exploring prog. 
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2018 at 14:38
 ^ I was hearing prog on the radio when I was a little kid in the 70s, so though Floyd, Yes and Genesis were much bigger and getting a ton more airplay, they were too adult and arty for a nine-year old.   But Rush on the other hand had some kind of universal appeal that spoke to kids, teens, and adults all at once.   Floyd can't claim that, nor Yes or Genesis or even Tull.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Fischman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fischman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2018 at 20:23
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

It would have to be Rush, the ultimate prog gateway band, the bridge between high school power-rock and the complex, thoughtful stuff.   How many countless young people did Rush attract to a larger world of rock music, we may never know.

Floyd?   Nah, too abstruse.

Rush may serve that purpose,but you sell them way short when you suggest they are less thoughtful or complex than other prog groups.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2018 at 21:41
^ Well they are without doubt less complex than both Yes and Genesis, Tull as well.  That's quite obvious.  You sell them short by assuming more complex music is superior.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 10>