Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Which band first got you into prog?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 10>
Poll Question: Which of these bands is most responsible for getting you into prog?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
6 [3.21%]
0 [0.00%]
8 [4.28%]
13 [6.95%]
0 [0.00%]
18 [9.63%]
0 [0.00%]
10 [5.35%]
6 [3.21%]
14 [7.49%]
6 [3.21%]
6 [3.21%]
0 [0.00%]
35 [18.72%]
1 [0.53%]
11 [5.88%]
3 [1.60%]
0 [0.00%]
3 [1.60%]
0 [0.00%]
30 [16.04%]
17 [9.09%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
mellotronwave View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mellotronwave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Which band first got you into prog?
    Posted: February 04 2022 at 14:27
Genesis (Live of 1973)
Jaketejas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jaketejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2022 at 07:03
Back in the day, we didn’t have wads of dough to drop on albums, so we made radio requests by rotary dial telephone, waited and taped songs from the radio. Some of the ones I distinctly remember recording were Freewill by Rush (which annoyingly overlapped with the tail end of Cradle Will Rock by Van Halen), Long Distance Runaround by Yes, and Don’t Cry by Asia (with a Casey Kasem introduction!). I remember playing Freewill over and over because that song has so many amazing elements: odd but well placed time signatures, lovely arpeggiated chord progressions, snappy rock riffs with well-voiced chords at higher register, and one of the best guitar/bass solos you’ll find anywhere in Progdom. But, I didn’t know it was Prog. I just knew it was intricate. So, Prog just sort of seeped into musical pores.
Rick1 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2022 at 09:05
No band in particular - it was listening to Alan Freeman's Saturday Afternoon Rock Show on BBC Radio 1 from about 1973 onwards.  The 'prog' label was not really around at that time and not one I identified with.

Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2022 at 07:55
Originally posted by Argo2112 Argo2112 wrote:

Probably Renaissance was the first. When I was a kid my brother had Live at Carnegie Hall. I use to listen to it a lot.
After that it was Yes. A few years later I went to a Yes show & I was hooked. 

I'd forgotten about Renaissance. I was into them three years before Camel, starting with "Ashes Are Burning" (1973) for Renaissance and "Moonmadness" (1976) for Camel.
Shadowyzard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2022 at 07:54
I'm not sure. Marillion, Jethro Tull or Pink Floyd. The first prog album that I bought was Pink Floyd - The Division Bell. But, around those years, I also listened to Marillion's debut and Jethro Tull's Heavy Horses. The first prog album that I bought and enjoyed thoroughly was Dream Theater - Awake. So, the answer should be this band.
Argo2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argo2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2022 at 07:42
Probably Renaissance was the first. When I was a kid my brother had Live at Carnegie Hall. I use to listen to it a lot.
After that it was Yes. A few years later I went to a Yes show & I was hooked. 
King of Loss View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King of Loss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2022 at 07:27
Dream Theater here, but also Yes and Pink Floyd.
King Crimson776 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King Crimson776 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2022 at 03:18
The Moody Blues got me into music, and ELP got me into prog. Tarkus was unlike anything I'd heard before.
A Crimson Mellotron View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A Crimson Mellotron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2022 at 02:09
Believe it or not, it were The Flower Kings, Spock's Beard and Dream Theater for me
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2022 at 14:25
Originally posted by Progmind Progmind wrote:

Queensryche (Operation Mindcrime) and Fates Warning (No Exit). I was a teenager thrash metal maniac and those albums blow me away and open a new world to me 

nice! Clap Thumbs Up
Progmind View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progmind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2022 at 14:22
Queensryche (Operation Mindcrime) and Fates Warning (No Exit). I was a teenager thrash metal maniac and those albums blow me away and open a new world to me 
Heart of the Matter View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heart of the Matter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2022 at 10:02
Asia! No, just joking, it was Floyd + a bit of Dust In The Wind on the radio + a couple of local bands, like Sui Generis and Pastoral.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2022 at 09:56
Hi,

I'm going to say ... NONE OF THESE ... mainly because I was into it from the very first days, of the Beatles and Rolling Stones, and then Bob Dylan in 1965 when I came to America. A couple of years, and the psych's stuff got me interested and when I moved to California it was history. I was already "progressive" without listing any of those, and things like The Nice, were in my collection, and I had heard JT and Fairport Convention, but so were Moodies, Procol Harum, Crosby, Still and Nash, Spirit, Jefferson Airplane, and even some Grateful Dead although I did not realize it was them at the time. Chicago, The Sons of Champlin, The Doors, Janis, Quicksilver Messenger Service, It's a Beautiful Day and Jimi complete the program.

I was ready for 1972, so to speak, and when it came, to me, it was a SERIOUS EXTENSION of what a lot of the stuff that you heard at the Fillmore was all about ... not a song ... a wonderful piece of music. And I went to it, since the American Record companies made sure to kill everything that was "music" except what they determined were "songs" that could bring in the money. 

To this day folks don't see that, when all the advertising and SW excitement notices shows you what is supposed to be good! 

By the time things were starting to be called "progressive" and eventually "prog" I was way further out and up from this list ... many of them ended up in my collection, but they helped me determine that this whole thing was not accidental, nor was it a wonder hit that got to the radio, or some ridiculous single that sold more than a million farts and pisses.

All in all ... I couldn't possibly identify you one ... they were all a part of the history of the music for me, not some separate this or that by folks that don't always look at history for the answer. To them I keep feeling this is just a bunch of "songs" and who really cares about anything else!

Edited by moshkito - January 09 2022 at 09:58
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Earl of Mar View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earl of Mar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2022 at 09:45
I bought Spertramps COTC when it came out. It was my second album I purchased after a Beach Boys compilation that  was my first. Had saved up birthday money for it and the reason was the hit single dreamer which I loved. The music on the album was not indicative of dreamer though. I found COTC  to be an extremely different, involving, darker and more interesting album.
A friend gave me a copy of Yes CTTE and that was it. Third purchase was DSOTM
I was still listening to Led Zep/Bowie/ Purple etc ( my brother had these albums and I thus had them on tape) but my prog collection was about to grow.
wiz_d_kidd View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wiz_d_kidd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2022 at 07:45
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

Tull, Yes, King Crimson, Moody Blues, ELP and Pink Floyd simultaneously. You heard them all on any given day in the early 70s. People didn't listen to music in a sterile internet vacuum back then. FM radio, unadulterated, non-corporate and rebellious, gave you the whole shebang. Often album by album.

What about Genesis?
In my area of suburban Detroit, no one listened to Genesis until probably Selling England by the Pound. So not really until early 74 at the earliest (it was released late 73). So, they were a couple years behind the groups I mentioned. Actually, from what I remember they weren't really big until The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway.

I agree. The OP's question really doesn't apply to those of us who lived through the formative years. It was just "there", on the radio, at dances, at concerts, everywhere. What we now call prog was just part of the mainstream. "Prog" did not exist as a separate genre at that time, so there was no differentiation -- although some FM radio stations did focus more on the longer, artsier, more rebellious tracks that the AM stations found less commercial.

And I also agree with the omission of Genesis. I grew up in the Pittsburgh area, and they just didn't have a following.
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mascodagama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2022 at 20:49
Pendragon and IQ. 
Soldato of the Pan Head Mafia. We'll make you an offer you can't listen to.
Bandcamp Profile
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2022 at 18:29
The Shaggs

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
Umeda View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Umeda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2022 at 18:23
Supertramp, even though I was already aware of Pink Floyd, Rush and the more accessible (a.k.a. Trevor Rabin) stuff by Yes.
Not for rent. To any God or government.
Syzygy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Syzygy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2022 at 16:48
Genesis, Selling England by the Pound.
'Like so many of you
I've got my doubts about how much to contribute
to the already rich among us...'

Robert Wyatt, Gloria Gloom

Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2022 at 13:21
Camel, without a doubt. Moonmadness was on constant "heavy rotation" on my turntable. Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 10>