Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Which band first got you into prog?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 10>
Poll Question: Which of these bands is most responsible for getting you into prog?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
6 [3.21%]
0 [0.00%]
8 [4.28%]
13 [6.95%]
0 [0.00%]
18 [9.63%]
0 [0.00%]
10 [5.35%]
6 [3.21%]
14 [7.49%]
6 [3.21%]
6 [3.21%]
0 [0.00%]
35 [18.72%]
1 [0.53%]
11 [5.88%]
3 [1.60%]
0 [0.00%]
3 [1.60%]
0 [0.00%]
30 [16.04%]
17 [9.09%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Which band first got you into prog?
    Posted: September 01 2017 at 18:03
Which of these bands is the most responsible for you getting into prog for the first time?

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - May 15 2018 at 14:04
AZF View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AZF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2017 at 18:18
Pink Floyd, although the material wasn't the epic lengths Prog Rock usually had.
iluvmarillion View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iluvmarillion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2017 at 18:19
The Doors
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2017 at 18:23
Some of you might be wondering why Devin Townsend is one of the choices. The reason for that is very simple. I once talked to a guy(probably in his twenties)who told me Devin Townsend was who got him into prog when I asked. Although I'm still not very familiar with him he does seem to be rather popular among the younger prog fans(especially prog metal)so I decided to include him. I wanted to list bands here who would represent the diverse age range of prog fans if you know what I mean. In other words older fans are more likely to first get into prog through Gentle Giant than younger fans and younger fans are more likely to get into it through Tool. As with these things there are always ones I left off by accident. A few that come to mind are Asia(although they still get a mention), Styx, Supertramp, Haken and UK. I initially had Haken but decided to add Tool instead. 
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2017 at 18:37
Rush, baby.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2017 at 18:40
Pink Floyd
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote presdoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2017 at 20:04
Triumvirat  (who, me?)
mechanicalflattery View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mechanicalflattery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2017 at 20:13
Pink Floyd albums listened to in high school on Youtube
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2017 at 20:16
Originally posted by presdoug presdoug wrote:

Triumvirat  (who, me?)

I was actually going to add them as an option just for you but I couldn't think of the name of the band off the top of my head. Lol. I was going to add Eloy also. I also should have added Frank Zappa. Oh well.
Magnum Vaeltaja View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magnum Vaeltaja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2017 at 20:27
The first prog band that I was familiar with and liked was Yes, but the band that actually got me exploring the genre more in depth, and in particular 70's symphonic prog, was Camel, so they get my vote here.
when i was a kid a doller was worth ten dollers - now a doller couldnt even buy you fifty cents
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2017 at 21:15
It was Jethro Tull, which was recommended to me by a friend who had Aqualung. I listened to it, and I was hooked. Later, I found Stand Up in a record store and I bought it. As I listened to it, I fell in love with the music and wanted to know more about the band, and others with similar approach and tendencies. I went back to my friend, who introduced me to Hendrix, Cream, King Crimson, ELP, etc, and the rest is history.

Edited by Manuel - September 01 2017 at 21:16
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2017 at 21:15
Tull, Yes, King Crimson, Moody Blues, ELP and Pink Floyd simultaneously. You heard them all on any given day in the early 70s. People didn't listen to music in a sterile internet vacuum back then. FM radio, unadulterated, non-corporate and rebellious, gave you the whole shebang. Often album by album.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2017 at 21:24
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

Tull, Yes, King Crimson, Moody Blues, ELP and Pink Floyd simultaneously. You heard them all on any given day in the early 70s. People didn't listen to music in a sterile internet vacuum back then. FM radio, unadulterated, non-corporate and rebellious, gave you the whole shebang. Often album by album.

What about Genesis?
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2017 at 21:31
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

What about Genesis?
In my area of suburban Detroit, no one listened to Genesis until probably Selling England by the Pound. So not really until early 74 at the earliest (it was released late 73). So, they were a couple years behind the groups I mentioned. Actually, from what I remember they weren't really big until The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Run Home Slow View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Run Home Slow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2017 at 21:40
My first ever bought LP was Yes Tormato in '80 while entering CEGEP or College for others...at 17 i think, they were coming in Montreal, but i didn't go. Next LP was Genesis: Seconds Out and third was Close To the Edge again by Yes, then someone at school talk to me about Fripp a guitarist... not far behing or next was: In The Court, followed by what will become a passion for me Zappa: Over-nite Sensation, then discoved the other side: Van Der Graaf and Peter solo... Was fun years... Still listening to Can: Radio Waves: Up the Bakerloo, while writing this  :)

This was all playing on my Dad's stereo thing where he played Dalida and other not my genre French Canadian singers like Ginette Reno for those who know her, then i bought my first sound system and enjoy music... and other things related at the time :)

Edited by Run Home Slow - September 01 2017 at 21:45
If you got ears, you gotta listen — Captain Beefheart
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2017 at 22:07
Actually, it came from several parts, and I didn't even know it was prog. There were some vinyls my grandmother had that I borrowed, and some music I was lent by a friend, so there came Pink Floyd (which I was interested in and asked for), Hamburger Concerto by Focus, the Fifth Season album by Harmonium, Wakeman's Arthur album, Alan Parsons. I got the name of prog seaching for info from Pink Floyd and Rick Wakeman, and because of the Wakeman connection I got interested in Yes. I guess Yes would be the most correct answer to this thread, though, because they are the ones I got into with the knowledge that they were prog, and are the ones that got me into searching for other prog bands.
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tapfret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2017 at 22:17
other: Tommy
Kingsnake View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kingsnake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2017 at 00:20
In this order:

Queen
Saga (!!!!)
Marillion
Fish (Vigil in a Wilderness of Mirrors)
Barclay James Harvest / Camel /Jethro Tull (bought them simultaneously)
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2017 at 01:15
My very first was ELP.
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2017 at 01:34
From the list, Floyd's DSOTM album (second or third album I ever bought  with my money).

but Supertramp's COTC is the album that threw me in prog back when it was released (Sept 74), though preceded by Harmonium's debut album a couple of months before and Jethro Tull's Stand Up & Aqualung (from my dad) a few years before...

Edited by Sean Trane - April 21 2020 at 02:04
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 10>