Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Which band first got you into prog?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 10>
Poll Question: Which of these bands is most responsible for getting you into prog?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
6 [3.21%]
0 [0.00%]
8 [4.28%]
13 [6.95%]
0 [0.00%]
18 [9.63%]
0 [0.00%]
10 [5.35%]
6 [3.21%]
14 [7.49%]
6 [3.21%]
6 [3.21%]
0 [0.00%]
35 [18.72%]
1 [0.53%]
11 [5.88%]
3 [1.60%]
0 [0.00%]
3 [1.60%]
0 [0.00%]
30 [16.04%]
17 [9.09%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paco Fox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2017 at 02:13
I started listening serioulsy to music in the late 80s. So you know what that means to prog. My introduction to prog was not by a prog band. It was the Love Over Gold LP from Dire Straits. After that, I got into Mike Oldfield. Some time later I met a guy who asked me what I liked, and I told him that 'Telegraph Road' was my favourite song and probably Omadawn was my favourite album. "Aha... so you are a progger and you don't know it". So he gave me The Snow Goose. Then it was a run for listening to the most important groups of the genre and to never ever talk about music with a woman or even getting laid.
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2017 at 04:50
Pink Floyd. The others came later.
maryes View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maryes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2017 at 05:31
YES>GENESIS>RENAISSANCE>CAMEL>EL&P>RUSH>KANSAS

hellogoodbye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2017 at 05:51
The Beatles for me
noni View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote noni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2017 at 08:29
Genesis,ELP and Camel
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2017 at 09:07
I wrote a long post going through my history based on sometimes vague recollections, but no one, or hardly anyone, wants to hear me reminisce.
I'm going to say The Alan Parsons Project. I fell in love with I Robot early on in my life and I think that album more than any other set me on this journey.

Just a fanboy passin' through.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2017 at 09:25
Tangerine Dream, followed by Jean-Michel Jarre, Goblin, Kraftwerk, Synergy, Vangelis, Rush, Pink Floyd, Yes, ELP and King Crimson.
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2017 at 09:28
Yes, Going for the One, swiftly followed by Genesis, Floyd, Oldfield....the usual suspects
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
TerLJack View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TerLJack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2017 at 09:37
From the moment the needle dropped on "The Musical Box" circa 1976, I was hooked.  Would veer away for a couple of years from time to time, but I always came back to prog.  (BTW, after listening to that we listened to the whole of Trick of the Tail. Sealed the deal.)
Mormegil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mormegil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2017 at 10:38
Genesis kicked it off for me, with Yes just around the same time.
Welcome to the middle of the film.
questionsneverknown View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote questionsneverknown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2017 at 11:16
I think the sequence went something like this:
Rush-->Yes-->Pink Floyd-->King Crimson-->Zappa--> . . .
The damage that we do is just so powerfully strong we call it love

The damage that we do just goes on and on and on but not long enough.

--Robyn Hitchcock
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2017 at 11:59
Originally posted by TerLJack TerLJack wrote:

From the moment the needle dropped on "The Musical Box" circa 1976, I was hooked.  Would veer away for a couple of years from time to time, but I always came back to prog.  (BTW, after listening to that we listened to the whole of Trick of the Tail. Sealed the deal.)

I remember getting Nursery Cryme at school, and looking forward to putting on the turntable when I got home. It didn't disappoint, and it is still, to these ears, the embodiment of all I love about that particular era of prog.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The.Crimson.King Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2017 at 12:14
Other:  The Beatles.  

For me, the innovation of Sgt Peppers makes it by definition the first "progressive rock" album and opened the flood gates for all innovative prog that followed. 
Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hercules Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2017 at 12:52
Strawbs first really piqued my interest when Noel Edmonds played Benedictus on his Saturday morning show(and I now love the band), Pink Floyd caused me to look further, but Camel made me a lifelong fan.
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.
Olape View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Olape Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2017 at 13:28
Pink Floyd got me into prog, although during my teen years I listened a lot The Beatles and ELO beside the new wave stuff.
Then came Gentle Giant, King Crimson, Gong, Yes and Genesis.
Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progosopher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2017 at 13:38
Since early Prog was part of popular music at the time I woke up to listening, there were a number of artists and bands I was familiar with before I started collecting.  The one that probably stands out the most is Yes, followed by Tull, ELP, Pink Floyd, Deep Purple, Led Zeppelin, and The Moody Blues.  These were all bands I was familiar with from radio play.  After that came Black Sabbath, King Crimson, Hackett, Gabriel era Genesis, and Kansas.
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2017 at 13:42
Wow, still no votes for Porcupine Tree, Steven Wilson, Opeth, Tool or Dream Theater and relatively few votes for Rush. Where are the younger voters out there? Smile

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - September 02 2017 at 13:43
Wanorak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wanorak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2017 at 15:51
King Crimson.
A GREAT YEAR FOR PROG!!!
iluvmarillion View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iluvmarillion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2017 at 01:58
Originally posted by The.Crimson.King The.Crimson.King wrote:

Other:  The Beatles.  

For me, the innovation of Sgt Peppers makes it by definition the first "progressive rock" album and opened the flood gates for all innovative prog that followed. 
The Doors were doing songs like "The End" before Sgt Peppers.
Flight123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flight123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2017 at 02:08
I put ELP down as they are the best band on this list, but the truth is back in the early 70s we did not know we were listening to 'prog' - the genre had not been really defined then (when I was a teenager, this great new music was filed under 'contemporary rock' in the record shops!)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 10>