Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Which band first got you into prog?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 10>
Poll Question: Which of these bands is most responsible for getting you into prog?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
6 [3.21%]
0 [0.00%]
8 [4.28%]
13 [6.95%]
0 [0.00%]
18 [9.63%]
0 [0.00%]
10 [5.35%]
6 [3.21%]
14 [7.49%]
6 [3.21%]
6 [3.21%]
0 [0.00%]
35 [18.72%]
1 [0.53%]
11 [5.88%]
3 [1.60%]
0 [0.00%]
3 [1.60%]
0 [0.00%]
30 [16.04%]
17 [9.09%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2017 at 06:25
Rush.

Exit stage left changed how I listened to music. It changed what I considered t be important I rock music. I had heard and enjoyed Floyd before then, but it was this Rush live album tha really got me into prog rock. Genesis, caught my ear next, and that was me hooked, and confirmed a prog rock fan.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Upbeat Tango Monday View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Upbeat Tango Monday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2017 at 06:49
I loved prog metal when I was in high school (Angra, Dream Theater,etc.)
ELP got me into full-blown prog.rock
Two random guys agreed to shake hands. Just Because. They felt like it, you know. It was an agreement of sorts...a random agreement.
WrytXander View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WrytXander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2017 at 09:56
Pink Floyd came first, but Dream Theatre got me interested in the actual genre. Surprised there weren't any others though, maybe the website needs some younger users? :P
20+ prog bands discovered and explored in 3 years, still going strong...
axeman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote axeman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2017 at 11:56
Kansas. Leftoverture was there first album of any kind I ever bought. Big fan of Carry on Wayward Son, but the rest of the album sounded weird to me. Oddly enough the first of the deeper cuts I took a looking to was Magnum Opus.

As my taste grew, Genesis became my favorite. But I sort of got into Hackett via Walsh's vocals on Narnia, played by my local AOR station. And whether or not I knew it was him, Hackett's guitar drew me to Genesis.
-John
Cosmiclawnmower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cosmiclawnmower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2017 at 15:09
1974: Mike Oldfield, Rick Wakeman, Camel, Focus, Stackridge, BJH, and Genesis.

But the first 'band' that really pulled me in has to be Camel and the lp 'Mirage' 

ForestFriend View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ForestFriend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2017 at 16:24
Rush all the way... maybe it's because I'm Canadian and quite a bit younger than many of the people here. Started listening to them in the mid-2000s, around the time of R30.
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The.Crimson.King Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2017 at 17:38
Originally posted by iluvmarillion iluvmarillion wrote:

Originally posted by The.Crimson.King The.Crimson.King wrote:

Other:  The Beatles.  

For me, the innovation of Sgt Peppers makes it by definition the first "progressive rock" album and opened the flood gates for all innovative prog that followed. 
The Doors were doing songs like "The End" before Sgt Peppers.

Ya, The Doors were very cool and The End is brilliant and unlike any song that came before, but the album as a whole hardly stands up to the musical innovation of Sgt Peppers where multiple styles, unusual instrumentation, odd time signatures, cutting edge production techniques, introducing recorded samples of other material and album cover design all combined to create a cohesive work of art that changed the entire musical landscape.

Besides, I doubt The Doors could have gotten away with printing the lyrics to The End on the album cover LOL

Edited by The.Crimson.King - September 03 2017 at 17:41
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2017 at 17:59
I probably should have included more proto bands(of which I do consider the Doors to be a part of)but I guess I didn't think most of them would have turned music fans into prog fans. Still, I suppose I could have included the Beatles, The Doors, The Nice, Sot Machine, Procol Harum, Traffic, MOI(or even just Frank) etc.

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - September 03 2017 at 18:01
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2017 at 01:09
Originally posted by ForestFriend ForestFriend wrote:

Rush all the way... maybe it's because I'm Canadian and quite a bit younger than many of the people here. Started listening to them in the mid-2000s, around the time of R30.

Good to see that someone else was reeled in to the world of prog by Rush, like I was.

I'm reasonably old though - 48- but still missed the 'golden era' of prog, so the Moving Pictures/Singals era was my introduction.

Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
b_olariu View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote b_olariu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2017 at 01:34
Queensryche, Dream Theater, Jethro Tull, Pink Floyd, Rush, Genesis, Progresiv TM, Sfinx, Magellan, Vander Graff Generator, etc
thebeastmustdie View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thebeastmustdie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2017 at 13:03
Keith Harris & Orville.

closely followed by King Crimson.
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2017 at 13:49
Genesis. Had heard 'Moon, but things stuck with 'Tail.

Edited by Rednight - September 04 2017 at 13:50
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YESESIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2017 at 16:03
I got into a bunch of bands roughly around the same time(this was the 80's).. Genesis, Yes, ELP, Rush, Pink Floyd.. Hard to look back now and put them exactly in the order that I discovered them lol. 

Other bands I discovered MUCH later.. Camel, Caravan, Soft Machine, Gentle Giant, Marillion, Eloy, Barclay James Harvest, etc. 
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2017 at 16:50
Floyd for me, shortly followed by Oldfield, Yes & Genesis.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2017 at 20:35
Originally posted by Rednight Rednight wrote:

Genesis. Had heard 'Moon, but things stuck with 'Tail.

Mad Man Moon or Dancing with the Moonlit Knight? Wink
infocat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infocat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2017 at 20:50
Rush, Jethro Tull, and Pink Floyd
--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2017 at 08:48
My older brother went away to University in 1972 and came home with a cassette tape that had Fragile on Side A and Meddle on Side B.

So I voted Yes. Had he inverted that it would have been Pink Floyd.

Either way, my life was forever changed.

(Although I was already in love with the first two Chicago LP's and was deep into We're Only In It For The Money. Does that count?)

Maybe it was the "Englishness" of the two bands on that fateful cassette tape that just made them feel so different. So important. So awesome.
digdug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote digdug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2017 at 09:11
voted Yes

I was also listening to Tull and Kansas around the same time
Prog On!
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2017 at 10:15
KC 

followed by Zappa, GG, Genesis, and Yes. 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Mellotron Storm View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mellotron Storm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2017 at 14:34
Fates Warning got me into Prog.
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 10>