Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Which band first got you into prog?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 10>
Poll Question: Which of these bands is most responsible for getting you into prog?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
6 [3.21%]
0 [0.00%]
8 [4.28%]
13 [6.95%]
0 [0.00%]
18 [9.63%]
0 [0.00%]
10 [5.35%]
6 [3.21%]
14 [7.49%]
6 [3.21%]
6 [3.21%]
0 [0.00%]
35 [18.72%]
1 [0.53%]
11 [5.88%]
3 [1.60%]
0 [0.00%]
3 [1.60%]
0 [0.00%]
30 [16.04%]
17 [9.09%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2017 at 15:48
Uriah Heep (Demons & Wizards) and Moody Blues (Days of Future Passed), 
then Yes and Nektar and Pink Floyd
Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2017 at 15:55
Originally posted by BrufordFreak BrufordFreak wrote:

Uriah Heep (Demons & Wizards) and Moody Blues (Days of Future Passed), 
then Yes and Nektar and Pink Floyd

very nice 

Moodies (DoFP)
Uriah Heep (Salisbury)
Bo Hansson (LotR)
JMJ (Oxygene)
Yes (TYA)
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
socrates17 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote socrates17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2017 at 10:32
I remember it like it was yesterday.  It was a sunny Friday afternoon in the late summer of 1969.  I was out in the backyard of my parents' house on Long Island.  I was on summer break before my senior year at Stevens Tech.  I was reading and listening to the radio while stretched out on the chaise longue.  Every Friday afternoon Scott Muni had a show on WNEW-FM called "Things from England" where he played rock not released in the US or at all yet.  He played the track In the Court of the Crimson King from the album of that name.  I sat bolt upright and have never been the same.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2017 at 21:22
^Only thing is that album was released in mid October of 1969 and not late summer. 
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2017 at 21:30
For me it was YES. I didn't know it was called prog at the time :)

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2017 at 02:33
I'm not certain, but it probably was some Krautrock. my parents were hippies and very much into Krautrock. a friend of them did military service in Kaiserslautern, Germany and sent them all the new Krautrock albums, and I heard them all day. they were always stoned and so was I because of all the sweet smoke in the air

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2017 at 03:23
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

^Only thing is that album was released in mid October of 1969 and not late summer. 

Which explains this "... Every Friday afternoon Scott Muni had a show on WNEW-FM called "Things from England" where he played rock not released in the US or at all yet...."

Edited by Logan - September 09 2017 at 03:26
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2017 at 12:11
Manfred Mann's Earthband
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2017 at 12:43
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Which explains this "... Every Friday afternoon Scott Muni had a show on WNEW-FM called "Things from England" where he played rock not released in the US or at all yet...."

Point taken. However, he would still have to wait a couple of months before he could actually buy the album. Wink
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote socrates17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2017 at 18:48

Point taken. However, he would still have to wait a couple of months before he could actually buy the album. Wink

And I did.  Long, long months.  But my enthusiasm never waned.
Dopeydoc View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dopeydoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2017 at 15:33
The moody blues in 67, then Pink Floyd in 68
Thatfabulousalien View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thatfabulousalien Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2017 at 18:18
I heard Pink Floyd all throughout my childhood but don't consider them prog and they never turned me over to any other prog artists either. So I vote King Crimson who got me looking at Yes, ELP and Dream Theater 
Classical music isn't dead, it's more alive than it's ever been. It's just not on MTV.

https://www.soundcloud.com/user-322914325
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2017 at 09:03
Originally posted by socrates17 socrates17 wrote:

Well, if you first heard it in late August of 69 on that radio show then that's actually less than two months so maybe more like a month and a half. Tongue
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote socrates17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2017 at 19:28

Originally posted by socrates17 socrates17 wrote:

Well, if you first heard it in late August of 69 on that radio show then that's actually less than two months so maybe more like a month and a half. Tongue

I know, but I was so gobsmacked by the track that it seemed like freakin' forever!
spacecaptain53 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spacecaptain53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2017 at 00:26
It was in the early 70's and Allison Steele 'the Night bird'  on WNEW-FM in NY played Tangerine Dream's Sunrise in the Third System. I followed up on my own to hear their other records- Phaedra, Zeit, Alpha-Centuari, Rubicon and Ricochet. Forty five years later that same music is still unsurpassed.
Argo2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argo2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2017 at 10:58
The first Two prog bands I remember as a kid were Yes & Renaissance .
( My brothers record collection)
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2017 at 15:21
Pink Floyd came in first place
Yes came in second 
King Crimson came in third

Here's the final tally:

Marillion have one vote
Dream Theater, Kansas and Tool all have 2
Camel and Moody Blues both have 3
ELP has 4
Jethro Tull has 6
Rush have 8
Genesis (any era)have 9 (this means some might have first gotten into Genesis through their pop period but worked their way backwards and became prog fans later; This could be the case with other bands too but especially Genesis since they were the most overtly poppy imo). 
King Crimson has 10 votes 
Other(various bands) 11 votes
Yes have 15 votes
Pink Floyd have 18 votes
No votes for the rest which is surprising considering Opeth, Gentle Giant, PT and Steven Wilson are among those with no votes whatsoever. Voting is still open but I'm probably not going to update this list again so this is where it stands now.

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - October 01 2017 at 15:23
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2017 at 15:37
FLOYD. Guess they would be many folks' gateway to Prog.
Hah ! Opeth were my gateway to Tech-Death !!

Edited by Tom Ozric - October 01 2017 at 15:40
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2018 at 02:17
Yes "Fragile".

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Squonk19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2018 at 11:10
Pink Floyd got me first into prog - but Gabriel/Hackett -era Genesis turned it into a life-long passion.
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 10>