Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Which band first got you into prog?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 10>
Poll Question: Which of these bands is most responsible for getting you into prog?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
6 [3.21%]
0 [0.00%]
8 [4.28%]
13 [6.95%]
0 [0.00%]
18 [9.63%]
0 [0.00%]
10 [5.35%]
6 [3.21%]
14 [7.49%]
6 [3.21%]
6 [3.21%]
0 [0.00%]
35 [18.72%]
1 [0.53%]
11 [5.88%]
3 [1.60%]
0 [0.00%]
3 [1.60%]
0 [0.00%]
30 [16.04%]
17 [9.09%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2018 at 07:57
Yes, ELP and Pink Floyd but I heard Yes first (by a few days...)
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2018 at 10:41
Probably The Moody Blues and Tull in '68 and '69....though I also liked early Procol Harum and Traffic.
After I heard the first KC in the spring of 1970...it had come out in the fall of '69....I really started to look for other bands/ albums in that style.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2018 at 12:18
SBB
Bez pierdolenia sygnał zerwie, to w realia wychodź w hełmie!
tempest_77 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tempest_77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2018 at 12:49
Muse was first

Then Queen

Then Pink Floyd

And at last, Yes.
I use they/them pronouns (feel free to ask me about this!)

Check out my music on my bandcamp!
terramystic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote terramystic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2018 at 14:03
First it was Dream Theater and Steve Vai (about 20 years ago).

Before that the closest to prog was Queen and Vangelis.

Edited by terramystic - May 16 2018 at 14:06
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2018 at 08:33
Manfred Mann's Earthband (and Floyd in second place).
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2018 at 08:49
toss up between Tull (Stand Up at age 6) Supertramp (Crime at age 11) and Floyd (nearly all of them existing at the time  at age 12)

EDIT: f**k ,Censored I voted and answered already on page 1

Edited by Sean Trane - May 17 2018 at 08:51
I prophesy disaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2018 at 11:51

There was no group that made me think "This type of music is much better than the crap I've been listening to previously, I'll continue listening to that from now on." And although it wasn't the first prog rock music that I had heard or even liked, Pink Floyd was the prog rock group that had the greatest early influence on me.

No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2018 at 12:05
Absolutely Pink Floyd.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2018 at 17:45
My guess would be that Pink Floyd probably has by far the most non prog fans. ;)
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2018 at 20:08
Thinking way back, it was probably Pink Floyd. My dad had DSOTM, WYWH, Ummagumma and Animals, and I branched out and got Meddle on my own. It really whetted my appetite for extended works.

Edit: hang on, I didn’t notice the Moodies as an option. I was listening to them avidly as early as age 4. I just didn’t think of them as prog. They were more like the Beatles to me.

Edited by HolyMoly - May 17 2018 at 20:11
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Prog Sothoth View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog Sothoth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2018 at 20:48
Other: Santana... you know, the early stuff, not "Smooth"
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2018 at 01:54
First progband I heard was Yes, but I was then four or five years old. Can´t really say Yes got me into prog then, it was Pink Floyd much later when I understood how great music prog was.
Mattie Konig View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mattie Konig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2018 at 13:20
Gotta be Fink Ployd, followed by the usual other suspects (Yes, KC, ELP, Genesis, etc)
Walkscore View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walkscore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2018 at 21:12
Floyd was first at an early age. But it were weren't for Soft Machine and Crimson and Yes and Rush and many of the other earlier bands listed it is hard to say how things would have turned out...
ProgMetaller2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProgMetaller2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2018 at 00:34
Pink Floyd
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

― George Orwell, Nineteen Eighty-Four

"Ignorance and Prejudice and Fear walk Hand in Hand"- Neil Peart

RomerilloLaMissFripp View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RomerilloLaMissFripp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2018 at 08:42
My prog fire was first sparked by Muse, Pink Floyd and Tool, it slowly burned with psych/stoner/doom bands, got fueled by guitar virtuosi like Buckethead/Vai/Satriani, then finally burst into flames with King Crimson, Soft Machine and Yes. The fire has only gotten stronger since then, though these days I'm so used to it that unless I turn the radio on prog music doesn't sound that mind-blowing anymore. Kinda wish I could go back to the first time I listened to these bands to experience that wonder again.
REXFORD View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote REXFORD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2018 at 09:12
Originally posted by iluvmarillion iluvmarillion wrote:

The Doors
they aren't prog.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2018 at 10:13
Originally posted by REXFORD REXFORD wrote:

Originally posted by iluvmarillion iluvmarillion wrote:

The Doors
they aren't prog.

what they were doing is seen by many as proto-prog. I kinda agree. :)
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2018 at 15:38
^^The OP asked which band...didn't say prog only, but then listed prog bands on his list., but did have a spot for 'other'.
I always liked the more 'atmospheric' bands like The Doors and Jefferson Airplane when growing up over say Credence or The Stones, though I listened to all of them back then and bought many single 45's. and later the lp's. I really didn't have a single 'prog' band that led me into that direction(and I think that's true for a lot of us old timers...)..it was a combination of many interesting bands...
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 10>