Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Which band first got you into prog?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 10>
Poll Question: Which of these bands is most responsible for getting you into prog?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
6 [3.21%]
0 [0.00%]
8 [4.28%]
13 [6.95%]
0 [0.00%]
18 [9.63%]
0 [0.00%]
10 [5.35%]
6 [3.21%]
14 [7.49%]
6 [3.21%]
6 [3.21%]
0 [0.00%]
35 [18.72%]
1 [0.53%]
11 [5.88%]
3 [1.60%]
0 [0.00%]
3 [1.60%]
0 [0.00%]
30 [16.04%]
17 [9.09%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2018 at 22:56
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

^ I was hearing prog on the radio when I was a little kid in the 70s, so though Floyd, Yes and Genesis were much bigger and getting a ton more airplay, they were too adult and arty for a nine-year old.   But Rush on the other hand had some kind of universal appeal that spoke to kids, teens, and adults all at once.   Floyd can't claim that, nor Yes or Genesis or even Tull.

Well, their prog period only went from 76-81 roughly and like I said I doubt they were even thought of as a prog band at the time. The other bands sold more records like you said and I think were a more direct route to become a prog fan. I think the fact that Yes has more votes in this poll than Rush kind of proves my point. I'm not saying there weren't fans who got into prog through Rush but I think much more so with Yes, Genesis and PF(which has been proven by this poll and others). To be fair Genesis and Rush are both tied with ten on here. I will say that the metal heads probably took to Rush and got more into prog through them than any other band(at least until Dream Theater)but that's only one segment of the population.

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - October 22 2018 at 23:00
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2018 at 23:42
^ You're talking about young adults, maybe teens, discovering the music they would go on listening to for decades.   I'm talking about one's very first exposure to music, especially of the era.   Rush was the band that allowed a hard-rockin' adolescent at that time to appreciate not just Queen and Van Halen and Zeppelin but to move on to the Yes's of the world.  

Floyd was hugely popular but they were much more a cultural phenomenon, the Psych-rock pallbearers, than a band that allowed one to graduate to truly advanced music like Yes, Gentle Giant, UK, Genesis, ELP, Tull.   Everyone liked Floyd, prog fans and non, no one knew or cared what category they belonged in and they didn't really lead one to greater music.  

Rush allowed you to move on, to evolve musically.   To grow up.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2018 at 05:41
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

^ I was hearing prog on the radio when I was a little kid in the 70s, so though Floyd, Yes and Genesis were much bigger and getting a ton more airplay, they were too adult and arty for a nine-year old.   But Rush on the other hand had some kind of universal appeal that spoke to kids, teens, and adults all at once.   Floyd can't claim that, nor Yes or Genesis or even Tull.

Well, their prog period only went from 76-81 roughly and like I said I doubt they were even thought of as a prog band at the time. 

the first point is highly debatable.. in large part because of the erroneous 2nd part.

Rush lost a good segment of their fans, when they stopped doing prog albums after Hemispheres and (to be fair) progressed from a mere prog group to more diverse sounds and more concise AOR brand of music starting with Permanent Waves. Granted being on MTV and incorporating new wave stylings into their music and doing nice AOR rockers gained them far more fans than they lost but make no mistake. They knew what they were and so did their fans and some never forgave Rush from turning from the prog path and selling out hahah

all hail THE NECROMANCER!!!!!!!
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2018 at 14:01
Well, we can all argue about Rush, Pink Floyd and Yes until the cows come home. Let's all agree that they were all influential and important in their own way. I think at some point it gets to be splitting hairs. I had similar debate with someone on this on facebook recently and out of Yes, Genesis, PF and Rush the guy said to me something like "yeah, but which one is still around?" Yes might be my favorite out of those but I have to admit the others are over all more popular. Most Yes fans seem to be fans from the seventies or eighties but somehow Rush and PF in particular keep churning out new fans every day it seems. Lol. They are sort of like what I call bandwagon fans. A lot of Yes fans seemed to have jumped ship after Union it seems and haven't really gained a lot of new ones(relatively speaking at least) which is unfortunate because a lot of younger fans(even prog fans)are missing out on a great band(same thing with Genesis to a degree). 

So yeah maybe Rush lost a lot of their prog fans after Moving Pictures or whenever but at least they gained a whole lot of newer fans after that. I can't say the same for Yes after Union/Talk.

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - October 23 2018 at 14:05
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2018 at 14:05
^ True--  Rush was, up until their 'split' a while ago (which probably won't last long), the only prog band in the world that remained consistently intact.   It's actually pretty amazing.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Fischman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fischman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2018 at 14:22

^ Well they are without doubt less complex than both Yes and Genesis, Tull as well.  That's quite obvious.  You sell them short by assuming more complex music is superior.

Wha??

I'm not assuming more complex music is superior.  I'm not assuming anything here.  I'm going off of not only a well tuned ear, but also instruction in music composition and experience playing music (guitar and bass).

I love Jethro Tull.  I mean I really love them and there are many days I'd rather listen to Tull than Rush.  But to say Tull is more complex, is just plain ludicrous. Ditto Genesis.  Yes is the only one that even has a place in this discussion and that's only because Wakeman does more with the keys than Lee.  But as to the rest?  Not a chance (and I do love Squire, but again, Lee takes it, as does Lifeson, and most definitely Peart).  What's more, the integration of the myriad complex parts is even more complex and again, anyone else other than Yes need not even apply.

Now back to my assertion and the justification behind it.  I have played in a few bands and a couple of them were prog heavy. We could play, and master, most any Genesis or Tull, but always had difficulty fully integrating just about any Rush song.  Not only were the individual parts more difficult, bringing them together into a coherent whole was downright daunting.  Not so the others you mention.  

So you see, this isn't about what is "better."  It's about practical, on the strings experience trying to play complex parts and make them fit together seamlessly.  Yes was also a challenge, but even them not so much a challenge as Rush.  

On a side note, another group that generally gets shortchanged in this regard is Kansas.  Similar story.  

Fischman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fischman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2018 at 14:25
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Well, their prog period only went from 76-81 roughly and like I said I doubt they were even thought of as a prog band at the time. 

the first point is highly debatable.. in large part because of the erroneous 2nd part.

Rush lost a good segment of their fans, when they stopped doing prog albums after Hemispheres and (to be fair) progressed from a mere prog group to more diverse sounds and more concise AOR brand of music starting with Permanent Waves. Granted being on MTV and incorporating new wave stylings into their music and doing nice AOR rockers gained them far more fans than they lost but make no mistake. They knew what they were and so did their fans and some never forgave Rush from turning from the prog path and selling out hahah

all hail THE NECROMANCER!!!!!!!

Even though I stayed a Rush fan, this post is totally on point... and a fun read.  
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2018 at 14:40
Originally posted by Fischman Fischman wrote:

^ Well they are without doubt less complex than both Yes and Genesis, Tull as well.  That's quite obvious.  You sell them short by assuming more complex music is superior.
I'm not assuming more complex music is superior.  I'm not assuming anything here.  I'm going off of not only a well tuned ear, but also instruction in music composition and experience playing music (guitar and bass).

I love Jethro Tull.  I mean I really love them and there are many days I'd rather listen to Tull than Rush.  But to say Tull is more complex, is just plain ludicrous. Ditto Genesis.  Yes is the only one that even has a place in this discussion and that's only because Wakeman does more with the keys than Lee.  But as to the rest?  Not a chance (and I do love Squire, but again, Lee takes it, as does Lifeson, and most definitely Peart).  What's more, the integration of the myriad complex parts is even more complex and again, anyone else other than Yes need not even apply.

Now back to my assertion and the justification behind it.  I have played in a few bands and a couple of them were prog heavy. We could play, and master, most any Genesis or Tull, but always had difficulty fully integrating just about any Rush song.  Not only were the individual parts more difficult, bringing them together into a coherent whole was downright daunting.  Not so the others you mention.  

So you see, this isn't about what is "better."  It's about practical, on the strings experience trying to play complex parts and make them fit together seamlessly.  Yes was also a challenge, but even them not so much a challenge as Rush.  

Wow, my experience as a musician was completely the opposite.   It was Rush's material that was doable ~ Closer to the Heart, Working Man, Spirit of Radio, YYZ, Analog Kid ~ songs a competent rock band could handle and sound reasonably good.   But Genesis?  Yes?   Hell no, not with any real confidence.

As to Rush making more complex music than Genesis, Yes or Tull, I can't see how anyone could assert that.   It is clearly untrue by any standard: how can one compare Selling England, Lamb, Yes Album, CttE, TFTO,Thick as a Brick and Passion Play with the comparatively straightforward work of Carees of Steel, Farewell to Kings, Hemispheres, Permanent Waves or Moving Pictures ?

Edited by Atavachron - October 23 2018 at 14:41
Fischman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fischman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2018 at 15:08

Wow, my experience as a musician was completely the opposite.   It was Rush's material that was doable ~ Closer to the Heart, Working Man, Spirit of Radio, YYZ, Analog Kid ~ songs a competent rock band could handle and sound reasonably good.   But Genesis?  Yes?   Hell no, not with any real confidence.

As to Rush making more complex music than Genesis, Yes or Tull, I can't see how anyone could assert that.   It is clearly untrue by any standard: how can one compare Selling England, Lamb, Yes Album, CttE, TFTO,Thick as a Brick and Passion Play with the comparatively straightforward work of Carees of Steel, Farewell to Kings, Hemispheres, Permanent Waves or Moving Pictures ?

It's just plain silly to even begin to assert that middle period Rush is "straightforward."  Whether it's the very unusual chords&chord progressions (2nds, augmented and diminished chords, etc) or the myriad time signatures and sometimes rapid fire time signature changes, that music is anything but "straightforward."  I get you may perceive it less complex than Genesis, but to call it "straightforward" is baseless and objectively false.  

And again, I couldn't be a bigger Tull fan, but when has Tull ever ripped through a sequence of time signature changes? (Living in the past is in 5/4, but that's pretty much the whole song and nothing like flipping back and forth between multiple unusual time signature changes) When did Dave Pegg ever play a bass line anything like even one of Geddy's easier bass lines?  Hell, Geddy never played a standard bass line in his life! While solid, would you ever associate the complexity of Barriemore Barlow's drumming with that of Neil Peart?  And then to make it all fit together... egad!

I've seen Rush and Tull live multiple times and I love watching Tull, but I'm amazed watching Rush.  
Mornar Popaj View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mornar Popaj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2018 at 15:11
Yes, the first song i heard from them was Yours Is No Disgrace. It was enchanting experience for me.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2018 at 15:29

It's just plain silly to even begin to assert that middle period Rush is "straightforward."  Whether it's the very unusual chords&chord progressions (2nds, augmented and diminished chords, etc) or the myriad time signatures and sometimes rapid fire time signature changes, that music is anything but "straightforward."  I get you may perceive it less complex than Genesis, but to call it "straightforward" is baseless and objectively false.  

And again, I couldn't be a bigger Tull fan, but when has Tull ever ripped through a sequence of time signature changes? (Living in the past is in 5/4, but that's pretty much the whole song and nothing like flipping back and forth between multiple unusual time signature changes) When did Dave Pegg ever play a bass line anything like even one of Geddy's easier bass lines?  Hell, Geddy never played a standard bass line in his life! While solid, would you ever associate the complexity of Barriemore Barlow's drumming with that of Neil Peart?  And then to make it all fit together... egad!

I've seen Rush and Tull live multiple times and I love watching Tull, but I'm amazed watching Rush. 

As for individual gifts as players, that seems to me a different topic, one that Rush would win much of the time.   But the same could be said of Asia or Union-period Yes with less impressive rsults.   I've too have seen both Tull & Rush multiple times and as good as they were, I'm afraid both bands would often phone their performance in.   Frankly, other than setlist, one Rush concert is very much like the next, especially Neil's drum parts.   Same with Floyd on the AMLoR tour--  more like a theatrical play that was repeated each night with only tiny variations.   But if you hear bootlegs of them in, say, '75, they had much more character and spontaneity without sacrificing arrangement integrity.

When I call Rush straightforward I mean in the context of 1970s prog, especially in contrast with the distended though brilliant art-rock of Tales of Topo, Passion Play, and Lamb.   And I stand by it.

Edited by Atavachron - October 23 2018 at 15:42
Fischman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fischman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2018 at 15:47

As for individual gifts as players, that seems to me a different topic, one that Rush would win much of the time.   But the same could be said of Asia or Union-period Yes with less impressive rsults.   I've too have seen both Tull & Rush multiple times and as good as they were, I'm afraid both bands would often phone their performance in.   Frankly, other than setlist, one Rush concert is very much like the next, especially Neil's drum parts.   Same with Floyd on the AMLoR tour--  more like a theatrical play that was repeated each night with only tiny variations.   But if you hear bootlegs of them in, say, '75, they were much looser and spontaneous.

When I call Rush straightforward I mean in the context of 1970s prog, especially in contrast with the distended though brilliant art-rock of Tales of Topo, Passion Play, and Lamb.   And I stand by it.

As you should. That is certainly one measure of complexity.  From a perspective of the presentation of art, it's hard to out-complex Genesis.  

As for me, I tend to focus on the music itself a little more.  So when I think of complexity, the first things that come to me are other measures of complexity like harmonic structure and nonstandard time signatures.  Nobody (at least in rock, including prog) touches Rush in this regard.  Just look at Tom Sawyer, which is actually one of Rush's more straightforward songs.  In the space of a dozen measures, it goes from 4/4 to 7/16 (highly unusual) to 3/8 (not an easy transition) to 7/8 (another potentially awkward shift) and back to 7/16 and 4/4 again.  Genesis or Tull ain't never done nothin' like that.  The song is also loaded with suspended chords, chords with no roots, augmented and diminished chords, and many transitions and chord progressions that make no sense on paper, but sound pretty special in context.  

So there are many forms of complexity and we each respond differently.  Nothin' wrong with that.  Hopefully that helps you understand how someone could put Rush in the upper echelons of complexity, if not at the top, based on some objective criteria, and criteria generally associated with prog at that.  

Looking at your screen name, I suspect you're probably also very much aware of at least one other artist who totally maxes out the complexity scale in astounding ways, especially with regard to tonal, melodic, and harmonic complexity... and ain't no slouch in the composition department either.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2018 at 15:52
That's a very well-reasoned and articulated position, and I respect it tremendously.   No substitute for hands-on musical experience.   Playing an instrument hurts, as you & I well know.

The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2018 at 17:03

As for individual gifts as players, that seems to me a different topic, one that Rush would win much of the time.   But the same could be said of Asia or Union-period Yes with less impressive rsults.   I've too have seen both Tull & Rush multiple times and as good as they were, I'm afraid both bands would often phone their performance in.   Frankly, other than setlist, one Rush concert is very much like the next, especially Neil's drum parts.   Same with Floyd on the AMLoR tour--  more like a theatrical play that was repeated each night with only tiny variations.   But if you hear bootlegs of them in, say, '75, they were much looser and spontaneous.

As you should. That is certainly one measure of complexity.  From a perspective of the presentation of art, it's hard to out-complex Genesis.  

As for me, I tend to focus on the music itself a little more.  So when I think of complexity, the first things that come to me are other measures of complexity like harmonic structure and nonstandard time signatures.  Nobody (at least in rock, including prog) touches Rush in this regard.  Just look at Tom Sawyer, which is actually one of Rush's more straightforward songs.  In the space of a dozen measures, it goes from 4/4 to 7/16 (highly unusual) to 3/8 (not an easy transition) to 7/8 (another potentially awkward shift) and back to 7/16 and 4/4 again.  Genesis or Tull ain't never done nothin' like that.  The song is also loaded with suspended chords, chords with no roots, augmented and diminished chords, and many transitions and chord progressions that make no sense on paper, but sound pretty special in context.  

So there are many forms of complexity and we each respond differently.  Nothin' wrong with that.  Hopefully that helps you understand how someone could put Rush in the upper echelons of complexity, if not at the top, based on some objective criteria, and criteria generally associated with prog at that.  

Looking at your screen name, I suspect you're probably also very much aware of at least one other artist who totally maxes out the complexity scale in astounding ways, especially with regard to tonal, melodic, and harmonic complexity... and ain't no slouch in the composition department either.

You evidently have never played anything from A Passion Play. In just the section I have played with a band (Foot of Our Stairs through Overseer Overture) the time signature starts in 3/4, goes to 2/4 to 4/4 then back to 2/4, then to 2/2, then to 12/8, to 18/8, down to 15/8, then 9/8, back up to 15/8, to 18/8, then variates between 15/8 and 18/8. 
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Fischman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fischman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2018 at 17:20
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

You evidently have never played anything from A Passion Play. In just the section I have played with a band (Foot of Our Stairs through Overseer Overture) the time signature starts in 3/4, goes to 2/4 to 4/4 then back to 2/4, then to 2/2, then to 12/8, to 18/8, down to 15/8, then 9/8, back up to 15/8, to 18/8, then variates between 15/8 and 18/8. 

I haven't listened to that one in a while.  Thanks for the reminder: I'll have another run at it.  It was never one of my favorite Tull albums, so I may have neglected it a bit.  
Boojieboy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boojieboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2018 at 16:03
You can throw stones, but it was Kansas and then Rush (early period; Farewell to Kings and prior). Later on came early King Crimson and Eno, then Gentle Giant, then early Genesis. Later Camel, etc.

I wouldn't change a thing about those early years, and my progression and how it all unfolded and went down.

Edited by Boojieboy - October 25 2018 at 16:05
CristauxFeur View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CristauxFeur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2018 at 20:53
It was Pink Floyd, when I saw a Pink Floyd Tee somewhere and I listened to ''Time'' back home and really liked it,later I started to listen to Genesis, Crimso, Yes
Dragged down by the stone
GrafHaarschnitt View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GrafHaarschnitt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2018 at 10:54
I always had a thing for epic middle age like pathetic music and music with great melancholy.
Depeche Mode was my first favourite band for Enjoy The Silence.
Then I got to know Muse which made me familiar with classic in rock and Madness (Micro Cuts)
After some years I discovered Radiohead (still not knowing about prog) which further developed my openmindedness (Kid A was my first. I loved Everything In Itīs Right Place.)
Then somehow I wanted to know about Tool a rock band I had heard about before and I knew that there was a lot of hocus pocus around them.
Lateralus (The Song helped me to understand how powerful an epic could be)
So I tried more Tool and had a Eureka moment with The Patient
From then on Music had reached a new level of importance in my life and I discovered step by step.
First I heard some floyd but it hasnīt had a lasting impression.
Some months later I listened genesis The Knife... And the solo killed me so much I knew I had a new favourite genre.
Genesis became my favourite band for years. Only recently changed that to Cardiacs. But I have other favourites such as Carmen, Magma and dozens of others which I should relisten.

Progfan1958 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progfan1958 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2018 at 16:17
ELP in 1973 when I first heard Trilogy.
Progfan1958
"Peace to you all"
"La paix est avec vous"
"Pax vobiscum"
"Al salaam a'alaykum"
"Vrede zij met u allen"
"Shalom aleichem"
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2020 at 12:05
Yes 
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 10>