Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBreidablik for Progressive Electronic

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Breidablik for Progressive Electronic
    Posted: September 04 2017 at 21:14
I found out about Breidablik through Jordsjø. Jordsjø was just added to Prog Archives, and for good reason. Jordsjø released a split cassette album with Breidablik called Songs From the Northern Wasteland (title inspired by Michael Hoenig's Departure from the Northern Wasteland, no doubt). As it turns out, Breidablik had released material totally independent of Jordsjø, and the music is nothing like the Änglagård, Wobbler and White Willow-style symphonic prog of Jordsjø, but inspired by the Berlin School of electronic music, like Tangerine Dream and Klaus Schulze. It's a one-man act lead by Waldemar Hoppschnagel, someone I don't know much about, and can't seem to find much background info on him, but of course he plays everything you hear here, which are synths. Although Breidablik did release a couple of EPs for download on Bandcamp, they (or he, I should say) did release a full cassette in 2017 called Vinter, which is also on Bandcamp (it can also be downloaded). I had just downloaded Vinter, and ordered the cassette, and I'm glad to discover Breidablik. From listening to this, it's pretty safe to say this is firmly Progressive Electronic. Breidablik can be found at:

Plus there are full song samples so you know how they're like. 
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2017 at 07:03
Sounds great! Added to the chart, thanks Thumbs Up
Progfan97402 View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2017 at 09:13
There was one mistake regarding Breidablik and that it was Morten Birkland Nielsen who is the man behind Breidablik. I got the wrong name from Discogs in the description, but his name is included in the credits as an ANV in the Songs from the Northern Wasteland entry. Also when I ordered the cassette to Vinter it clearly states Morten Birkland Nielsen was Briedablik in my email.
Breidablik View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2017 at 15:08
Thanks for the kind words and for ordering the cassette. It was shipped today :-) 

My new full-lengt album "Penumbra" will be released digitally at Bandcamp and as limited edition LP on Pancromatic Records later this autumn. Containing four songs spanning more than 40 minutes it will be bigger and much better than the earlier albums, but the music is still deeply rooted in the Berlin School of Electronic Music. 

Tracklist: 
1. Penumbra pt. I (19:30) 
2. Penumbra pt. II (11:08) 
3. Nehalennia (04:35) 
4. The chariots of the sun (05:15)

Pancromatic Records is a label by the Tormod Opedal who had Uniton Records in the 1980s. Uniton was responsible for albums by Berlin School artists such as Mark Shreeve, Rolf Trostel, and Conrad Schnizler so it is a great honor for me to release an album on this new label. 

Btw. Waldemar Hoppschnagel is a pseudonym/joke (inspired by Edgar Froese, Adelbert von Deyen and so on), and meant as an attempt to stay anonymous. Well, I guess the cat is already out of the bag ;-) 

Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2017 at 05:49
^ A Berlin School artist is already anonymous as it is :P
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2017 at 05:59

And

I guess it'll be a while before we get a Berliner Schule influenced grammy winner.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
 Post Reply Post Reply