Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - First hint that Genesis might turn into a pop band
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedFirst hint that Genesis might turn into a pop band

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Poll Question: What was the first hint that Genesis might turn into a pop band?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
4 [7.14%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
9 [16.07%]
2 [3.57%]
2 [3.57%]
11 [19.64%]
2 [3.57%]
20 [35.71%]
3 [5.36%]
1 [1.79%]
0 [0.00%]
2 [3.57%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2017 at 22:31
The first hint that Genesis might turn into a Pop band? The seeds were there right from the outset as Genesis would still have gone in a more accessible direction if Gabriel had stayed longer, albeit one that embraced world music. Like Gabriel anticipated before them, Collins, Rutherford and Banks realised that Prog's shelf life was over circa 1976 and that to reach a larger audience, they needed to go in a more accessible direction as their previous audience had largely dispersed. It seems clear that Hackett didn't necessarily share this view. (Genesis were still heavily in debt up to the Lamb Lies Down album and Phil Collins even considered just singing in the band by offering the drum gig to Bob Henrit of Argent, who declined) It's telling that when Jazz Rock was potentially the next big lucrative thing, Phil promptly joined Brand X then departed as soon as the cash registers refused to ring loudly enough. Similarly, he's embraced pretty much every extant contemporary style that's been in vogue from Motown, R'n'B, romantic ballads, to Big Band and even became an incredibly unconvincing actor for a while. Phil bashing has become wearyingly de rigueur over the last few years and although online petitions to dissuade him from returning to the music industry are of course crassly inappropriate, they're not entirely without a sliver of merit.
Tillerman88 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2017 at 22:35
The great Phil Collins hahahah 
The overwhelming amount of information on a daily basis restrains people from rewinding the news record archives to refresh their memories...
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2017 at 23:45
Genesis WERE a pop band with Silent Sun. They chose more musically ambitious paths thereafter.
I Know What I Like - great Pop song with Gabriel.
Trick Of The Tail - great Pop song with Collins.
They always had 'Pop' in them. Fortunately, they knew how to balance it out and impress, and that goes for We Can't Dance too !!
Though Invisible Touch hasn't aged well AT ALL.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2017 at 00:14
Rutherford's Your Own Special Way
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2017 at 01:19
Originally posted by HackettFan HackettFan wrote:

Robbery, Assault and Battery

respectfully disgree

this is a mini-rock opera in the tradition of Harold The Barrel, Get Them out By Friday, Epping Forest tradition... and All In A Mouse's Night in W&W.
Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2017 at 03:08
Genesis never were a pop band. 

What they did after Hackett left was to make more accessible prog, interspersed with some shorter, more commercial songs. This combination appealed to a wider audience and was more commercially successful.

Personally, I preferred their older material and rarely listen to anything outside the Trespass - Selling England period, though everything up to Wind and Wuthering is pretty good. After that, bits are very good (even the singles) but they pale in comparison.

Perhaps if they'd changed their name and become a new band, they'd have avoided adverse comparisons to some extent.
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2017 at 08:18
Follow You Follow Me. Steve Hackett had left and the left hand of Tony Banks ceased to be active.
Mormegil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2017 at 08:59
Follow You Follow Me.
Or pretty much after Mr. Hackett left.
Welcome to the middle of the film.
noni View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2017 at 09:10
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

Originally posted by HackettFan HackettFan wrote:

Robbery, Assault and Battery

respectfully disgree

this is a mini-rock opera in the tradition of Harold The Barrel, Get Them out By Friday, Epping Forest tradition... and All In A Mouse's Night in W&W.

I agree!!  Smile
Upbeat Tango Monday View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2017 at 09:51
I know what I like
Two random guys agreed to shake hands. Just Because. They felt like it, you know. It was an agreement of sorts...a random agreement.
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2017 at 07:53
Genesis' turn to commercial success follows the same trajectory as Phil's rise as one of the biggest hit making pop stars of recent times. I still believe Banks can do it all but prefers prog and classical music---Rutherford is a mixed bag but Mike and Mechanics smell like pop music to me. At this point a Hackett/Banks collaboration would be my dream come true. Then again GTR with Howe and Hackett was my dream come true with clearly mixed results! LOL
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2017 at 08:57
"Your Own Special Way" felt like a real change in purpose for the band. 
CapnBearbossa View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2017 at 10:21
I said Afterglow, but I actually believe the answer's more complex, and the process was maybe more gradual.  They needed a concert staple that would attract women, so they did "Follow You Follow Me".  Attw3 , Duke and Abacab all had great proggy tunes but a good measure of pop, as if just to show they enjoyed the male fans bringing girlfriends along to their concerts.... But the self-titled album in '83 was the first clear sign, I think, of their commitment to being a pop band. (Not that there's anything wrong with that! )

Edited by CapnBearbossa - September 11 2017 at 10:23
Will higher mighty force redeem
the one who dropped the moral compass,
failed to fulfill the dream?
-Ian Anderson
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2017 at 10:25
Your Own Special Way 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2017 at 11:33
Good choices. Although one might argue that Genesis started-out as a sort of pop band, I'll go with "Silent Sun" off From Genesis to Revelation -- I like the song, and find the album quite charming incidentally.
Just a fanboy passin' through.
cemego View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2017 at 11:35
I heard a long time ago that at some point, Phil Collins or Genesis (as a whole) were in Cologne Germany for some reason, and Phil bumped into Conny Plank who told him that he was a "soul singer" and this was before Duke ... and I think that tainted Phil to become more of a pop star/soul screamer singer.  You can hear he sings less and souls it up more starting with Duke.  Any one else hear this?
listen to streaming stuff! no commercials!

http://wmom.servemp3.com:8000/listen.pls
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2017 at 20:06
Originally posted by twosteves twosteves wrote:

Genesis' turn to commercial success follows the same trajectory as Phil's rise as one of the biggest hit making pop stars of recent times. I still believe Banks can do it all but prefers prog and classical music---Rutherford is a mixed bag but Mike and Mechanics smell like pop music to me. At this point a Hackett/Banks collaboration would be my dream come true. Then again GTR with Howe and Hackett was my dream come true with clearly mixed results! LOL

Oh yes, it would be great if Hackett and Banks teamed up to do another Genesis Revisited tour, and then a new studio album. Much better than a Genesis reunios of the 80's line-up. But then again, as I understand it, it's exactly those two that have the biggest grudge, and so the least likely reunion to happen.
Magnum Vaeltaja View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2017 at 21:54
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Good choices. Although one might argue that Genesis started-out as a sort of pop band, I'll go with "Silent Sun" off From Genesis to Revelation -- I like the song, and find the album quite charming incidentally.

I'll have to agree with this one. I don't think it's so accurate to say Genesis was a prog band that turned pop, so much as they started as a pop band and just got a little sidetracked along the way.
when i was a kid a doller was worth ten dollers - now a doller couldnt even buy you fifty cents
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2017 at 09:12
They never did entirely.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
iluvmarillion View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2017 at 01:26
Originally posted by Hercules Hercules wrote:

Genesis never were a pop band. 

What they did after Hackett left was to make more accessible prog, interspersed with some shorter, more commercial songs. This combination appealed to a wider audience and was more commercially successful.

Personally, I preferred their older material and rarely listen to anything outside the Trespass - Selling England period, though everything up to Wind and Wuthering is pretty good. After that, bits are very good (even the singles) but they pale in comparison.

Perhaps if they'd changed their name and become a new band, they'd have avoided adverse comparisons to some extent.
Always felt Collins and Rutherford were good musicians whose sensibilities were more attuned to pop than prog rock, but were contained within the band while Gabriel, Phillips, Hackett and Banks were in the majority. When Hackett left, Banks was outnumbered, hence the direction Genesis went into staring with ATTWT. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>