Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhat dos In the Wake of Poseidon mean...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: What dos In the Wake of Poseidon mean...
    Posted: September 12 2017 at 15:23
...to you?

To me, it sounds like a requiem for a friend who has committed suicide
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2017 at 16:22
you seem to interpret "wake" as "a watch or vigil by the body of a dead person before burial, sometimes accompanied by feasting or merrymaking". it does, however, in this context most probably mean "the track of waves left by a ship or other object moving through the water"

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2017 at 17:47
Never thought much about it, really. It sounded like a cool title back in the day, and I loved the record cover as well.
Larkstongue41 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2017 at 18:05
"John Green in his in-depth analysis of the work (Chapter 4 of Promenade the Puzzle - the Poetic Vision of Peter Sinfield - http://www.songsouponsea.com/Promenade/Poseidon.html) has said that Peter Sinfield's lyrics, and cover concept, work on multiple- levels of meaning which are involved in the title, 'In the Wake of Poseidon'.First, on the mythical level, following Zeus's and Poseidon's action in the killing of Kronos who was intent on killing his children (Zeus thought, like Herod of Biblical New Testament, that the children would de-throne him) peace ensued in the Olympian kingdom. Secondly, the mythical dimension is brought up-to-date with the protest from the 1960's sub-culture about Vietnam, and the reaction of the preceding generation, sometimes violent, to this outcry. In this way we are able to see a first-hand archetypal re-statement of this dominant theme which links the ancient, mythical dimension with that of the more recent past. Thirdly Poseidon, as the Greek god of the sea, connects the feminine water theme with the Temperance card of the Tarot. Psychologically speaking, through this card, male is connected to female, in terms of active to passive. This is reinforced by the cover of the album, 'Twelve Archetypes' by Tammo de Jongh. De Jongh, aka Anelog, is a member of The Graigan Society (also known as The Community) a community dedicated to restoring the balance in masculine and feminine tendencies which they see as being out-of-kilter in today's society. This connects with the Temperance card of the Tarot, as well as to Jungian/Alchemical ideas which also saturate this work, as well as the other King Crimson albums from 1969-71. Since the making of the these four albums, we are now possibly, with hindsight, in a better position to see how they anticipate many of the concerns we have in the present: socially, politically, psychologically and spiritually."

http://www.songsouponsea.com/Keeling/Keeling-InTheWakeOfPoseidon.html
"Larks' tongues. Wrens' livers. Chaffinch brains. Jaguars' earlobes. Wolf nipple chips. Get 'em while they're hot. They're lovely. Dromedary pretzels, only half a denar."
Kepler62 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2017 at 19:17
I don't know what it does for me but back in the day I was buying anything with King Crimson written on it after hearing Starless & Bible Black and did so for a number of years. In retrospect I just look at it as an extension of the first album which was hard to follow. I don't try to read too much into it. 
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2017 at 19:51
I just assumed it was about being in the trail of disturbed water caused by the God of the Sea (and other waters) Poseidon as he moved through the water. Never thought about it deeper than that, not that he's be deep causing that wake. Fluid dynamics and mythology, pretty cool.

A fun album cover might have been Giles, Collins, Haskell, the other Giles and Tippett surfing in Poseidon's wake (Robert Fripp in toga dressed as the speedy old salty Greek God), and the body of water of choice is a giant lake (a Greg lake -- or at least a lake with Greg s face superimposed on it).
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2017 at 19:56
Fetishism
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2017 at 20:18
continuation of themes of social alienation and world out of balance that appeared on the 1st album.
Magnum Vaeltaja View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2017 at 21:34
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

I just assumed it was about being in the trail of disturbed water caused by the God of the Sea (and other waters) Poseidon as he moved through the water. Never thought about it deeper than that, not that he's be deep causing that wake. Fluid dynamics and mythology, pretty cool.

A fun album cover might have been Giles, Collins, Haskell, the other Giles and Tippett surfing in Poseidon's wake (Robert Fripp in toga dressed as the speedy old salty Greek God), and the body of water of choice is a giant lake (a Greg lake -- or at least a lake with Greg s face superimposed on it).

LOL

Okay, that might just be the hardest I've laughed in a long time. Well played! Clap

when i was a kid a doller was worth ten dollers - now a doller couldnt even buy you fifty cents
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2017 at 00:35
It means he is about to have coffee, oats and eggs... after probably a long pee. 
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2017 at 13:20
Gee, Tennessee...
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
MadImmortalMan View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2017 at 14:54
Originally posted by Larkstongue41 Larkstongue41 wrote:

"John Green in his in-depth analysis of the work (Chapter 4 of Promenade the Puzzle - the Poetic Vision of Peter Sinfield - http://www.songsouponsea.com/Promenade/Poseidon.html) has said that Peter Sinfield's lyrics, and cover concept, work on multiple- levels of meaning which are involved in the title, 'In the Wake of Poseidon'.First, on the mythical level, following Zeus's and Poseidon's action in the killing of Kronos who was intent on killing his children (Zeus thought, like Herod of Biblical New Testament, that the children would de-throne him) peace ensued in the Olympian kingdom. Secondly, the mythical dimension is brought up-to-date with the protest from the 1960's sub-culture about Vietnam, and the reaction of the preceding generation, sometimes violent, to this outcry. In this way we are able to see a first-hand archetypal re-statement of this dominant theme which links the ancient, mythical dimension with that of the more recent past. Thirdly Poseidon, as the Greek god of the sea, connects the feminine water theme with the Temperance card of the Tarot. Psychologically speaking, through this card, male is connected to female, in terms of active to passive. This is reinforced by the cover of the album, 'Twelve Archetypes' by Tammo de Jongh. De Jongh, aka Anelog, is a member of The Graigan Society (also known as The Community) a community dedicated to restoring the balance in masculine and feminine tendencies which they see as being out-of-kilter in today's society. This connects with the Temperance card of the Tarot, as well as to Jungian/Alchemical ideas which also saturate this work, as well as the other King Crimson albums from 1969-71. Since the making of the these four albums, we are now possibly, with hindsight, in a better position to see how they anticipate many of the concerns we have in the present: socially, politically, psychologically and spiritually."

http://www.songsouponsea.com/Keeling/Keeling-InTheWakeOfPoseidon.html

This site has been around for some time now. I've always gotten a laugh out of how excessively in-depth he goes with Sinfield's lyrics, as if he's analyzing James Joyce or something. Maybe I'll read the whole thing one rainy day.
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2017 at 15:03
Originally posted by Barbu Barbu wrote:

Fetishism

In The w**k of Poseidon
Soldato of the Pan Head Mafia. We'll make you an offer you can't listen to.
Bandcamp Profile
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2017 at 15:59
Originally posted by Mascodagama Mascodagama wrote:

Originally posted by Barbu Barbu wrote:

Fetishism

In The w**k of Poseidon

Or In the Week of Podophilia*

* "The Week of Podophilia" being the leading weekly news publication for foot fetishists everywhere. This week they are doing an athlete's foot special -- featuring some classic pics of Steffi Graf's' left foot both on and off the court.

Just a fanboy passin' through.
Boojieboy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2017 at 21:50
Since (the god) Poseidon has connections with water - obviously - I've always considered "wake" as in the water connotation (never funeral sense). But Fripp and Sinfield are characters and crazy men, so who knows?

Edited by Boojieboy - September 19 2017 at 21:51
 Post Reply Post Reply