FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedFavorite Non-Prog Albums of 2017

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Favorite Non-Prog Albums of 2017
    Posted: September 13 2017 at 13:01
Of course, feel free to list prog albums as well.

Earlier this year, I thought Roger Waters' new album (Is This the Life We Really Want) would be my favorite album of the year, but then LCD Soundsystem's American Dream came out, and I can't stop listening to it. I've been a casual fan of the band before - usually I'm drawn to some of their songs, rather than entire albums. But in this case, I've been blown away by the entire thing, from beginning to end. My third favorite album of the year is another one that surprised me, Kasabian's For Crying Out Loud. I've woken to the fact that they're a much better band than I realized. Nearly every track's a potential single on rock radio, if such a thing still existed.
Magnum Vaeltaja View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2017 at 00:46
Greg Graffin's Millport is some top-notch Americana as far as I'm concerned.
when i was a kid a doller was worth ten dollers - now a doller couldnt even buy you fifty cents
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2017 at 01:50
Andrea Belfi - Ore (just ahead of Andrea Belfi - Alveare) but I guess his hypnotic / electro-acoustic music could pass for progressive electronic.

Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2017 at 09:17
Sote - Sacred Horror in Design

EDIT: Forgot to mention Juana Molina's Halo

Edited by Logan - September 16 2017 at 10:01
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Raccoon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2017 at 16:03
Best album this year is Fleet Foxes Crack Up, no question

MillsLayne View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2017 at 16:45
It's weird.  I've dialed WAY back on my prog listening over the last couple of years, mainly due to me getting back into some of my "90s" bands and finding awesome albums that I missed from that era.  However, most of my favorite albums from this year are from bands listed here on PA, so this is a toughy for me.  Only a couple off the top of my head that aren't "prog" that I really like are Death From Above's Outrage! Is Now and Logic's Everybody.  Also, Queens Of The Stone Age's Villains is damn good.  

I listened to the new Foo Fighters a couple of days ago and it's not bad, but it's pretty boring except for maybe a couple of songs and I can't even remember what the new cKy album sounded like.  
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2017 at 17:30
Portico Quartet - Art In The Age Of Automation
Akku Quintet- Aoen
Yazz Ahmed - La Saboteuse
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2017 at 03:16
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

EDIT: Forgot to mention Juana Molina's Halo
Glad you remembered. I didn't know she had a new album out. 
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2017 at 04:25
2017 has been a great year for music all around. I keep buying new NEW records. Certainly a change from my older self who bought nothing but old psych and barbershop quartet albums.

Electronic:
Forest Swords - Compassion (Beautiful. Complements long bathtub seances wonderfully)
VA - Mono No Aware (making love to a sheet of wind)
Blanck Mass - World Eater (Music for long walks through the nighttime city)
GAS - Narkopop (contemporary berliner schule with one foot planted in ambient)

Rock:
The War Against Drugs - A Deeper Understanding (Bob Dylan cuts an album with Bruce Springsteen and adds a bouesy post rock vibe to the proceedings? Oh yes!)

Jazz:
Saagara - 2
Yazz Ahmed - La Saboteuse
The Heliocentrics - A World Of Masks
The Heliocentrics - The Sunshine Maker

Funk/Soul:
Thundercat - Drunk
Here Lies Man - s/t

Miscallenous:
Gaudi - Magnetic (Progressive electro dub fusion? Who cares it's brilliant)
Fleet Foxes - Crack-Up
Floating Points - Reflections - Mojave Desert (Second coming of Pompeii!!!)
Sufjan Stevens etc etc - Planetarium
Liars - TFCF
Kendrick Lamar - DAMN
Chelsea Wolfe - Hiss Spun (like kissing a beautiful saw)
King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard - Sketches Of Brunswick

I am forgetting quite a few but these will have to do for now. What a year!!
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2017 at 11:36
oh forgot Brockhmpton Saturation II (released in August) which I enjoyed more than Saturation (released in June) - while Saturation III it seems will be released later this year. I don't really pay attention to what these youngsters are rappin' about which may be a just as well. They do swear and say bitch quite a lot Shocked but I really enjoy the production and sounds.  
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2017 at 11:40
Haven't heard the second one but enjoyed Saturation 1 immensely...with swear words and all

Oh and the new Susanne Sundfør album is really good as well. May just be a tad too far in the wrong direction for some pork fans, but I dig the raw almost unplugged feel of it.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
MillsLayne View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2017 at 16:10
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard - Sketches Of Brunswick

How could I forget this one?  Love this album, and on my trip to L.A. tomorrow, I plan on finding this at Amoeba.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2017 at 16:32

Oh and the new Susanne Sundfør album is really good as well. May just be a tad too far in the wrong direction for some pork fans, but I dig the raw almost unplugged feel of it.
l love her new album but as I've arleady claimed it album of the year in the progsection so I didn't mention her here. Like every new album she releases its progressive in an artist in progress kind of way - which is the right direction in my book.
jude111 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2017 at 18:06

2017 has been a great year for music all around. I keep buying new NEW records. Certainly a change from my older self who bought nothing but old psych and barbershop quartet albums....

I'm listening to that Floating Points album now; wow, he's really changed from when I last hear his stuff. I can see the Floyd/Pompeii comparisons. I'll have to check out the new Forest Swords; I liked his first two releases, but I wasn't sure he could improve upon his sound or take it much further; I'll have to give it a listen. Burial, one of my favorite artists, released a really nice track recently, a remix of Monic's Deep Summer. Although I'm a big fan of the Kompakt label, I've never stuck with a Gas album long enough to get the love people have for it. One of these days I'll put it on in the background and try to figure it out:)

I tried to like Kendrick's Damn, but I was so disappointed that he didn't continue his To Pimp a Butterfly jazz sound, which is one of the great hiphop records to come out in recent years. I'll have to give Damn another chance...

I like a couple of songs from that new War on Drugs album, especially "Thinking of a Place." The Buckingham/McVie album (which is really a Fleetwood Mac album by another name) has some really good tracks on it too. Paul Weller's A Kind Revolution is also quite good.

I'm going to listen to some of those other albums you mentioned, since it seems we have similar tastes:)
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2017 at 10:28
Meridian Brothers outdoes themselves this time. Digital cumbia ftw!

(often more than experimental and complex enough for PA-inclusion)

miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2017 at 08:44
Guided By Voices How Do You Spell Heaven
bloodnarfer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2017 at 15:18
What I can think of :

Fleet Foxes - Crack-Up
Richard Dawson - Peasant
Forest Swords - Compassion
Thundercat - Drunk
King Gizzard & the Lizzard Wizard - all 3 they have released so far this year
Christian Scott - Ruler Rebel
Sufjan Stevens - Carrie & Lowell Live
Elder - Reflections of a Floating World
Algiers - The Underside of Power
Queens of the Stone Age - Villains
Chelsea Wolfe - Hiss Spin
Cory Wong - Cory Wong and the Green Screen Band
Vulfpeck's new album (though its not out yet)

As always, a lot of overlap with David so I better check out the rest!
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2017 at 07:12
Originally posted by jude111 jude111 wrote:

2017 has been a great year for music all around. I keep buying new NEW records. Certainly a change from my older self who bought nothing but old psych and barbershop quartet albums....

I'm listening to that Floating Points album now; wow, he's really changed from when I last hear his stuff. I can see the Floyd/Pompeii comparisons. I'll have to check out the new Forest Swords; I liked his first two releases, but I wasn't sure he could improve upon his sound or take it much further; I'll have to give it a listen. Burial, one of my favorite artists, released a really nice track recently, a remix of Monic's Deep Summer. Although I'm a big fan of the Kompakt label, I've never stuck with a Gas album long enough to get the love people have for it. One of these days I'll put it on in the background and try to figure it out:)

I tried to like Kendrick's Damn, but I was so disappointed that he didn't continue his To Pimp a Butterfly jazz sound, which is one of the great hiphop records to come out in recent years. I'll have to give Damn another chance...

I like a couple of songs from that new War on Drugs album, especially "Thinking of a Place." The Buckingham/McVie album (which is really a Fleetwood Mac album by another name) has some really good tracks on it too. Paul Weller's A Kind Revolution is also quite good.

I'm going to listen to some of those other albums you mentioned, since it seems we have similar tastes:)

First of all thanks for turning me onto the new LCD Soundsystem album. Damn that thing is smoking! Sorta like if Of Montreal's Hissing Fauna somehow magically stumbled into Berlin era Bowie and made a baby. Brilliant release and one of my favourites this year...along with a couple of others no less.

Yep Floating Points has really made a u-turn sonically. Last year's EP made me want to suggest him for electronic as it had this wonderful Berlin School characteristic about it...one that sounded contemporary which is quite a feat in those Tangerine Dream inflicted waters. The new one though sounds like space rock with a jazzy drummer on for the ride. 

The new Forest Swords is his best album to date imho. It expands on what came before but in a warm and wholly embracing manner. It just flows like a musical river.

Please stick with the GAS album and remember to start the album from track 2 or 3 if you find it hard to connect with the slooooooooooooooooooooooooooooow startWink
I found Kendrick's DAMN not at all that different from Butterfly. Sure the overt jazzy elements are reduced somewhat...but the style and musicality is still there in full. I kinda dig the old school 90s feel of it all...which again was underlined when I read that Dre had taken part in the production. 

- Douglas Adams
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2017 at 07:15
Originally posted by bloodnarfer bloodnarfer wrote:

What I can think of :

Fleet Foxes - Crack-Up
Richard Dawson - Peasant
Forest Swords - Compassion
Thundercat - Drunk
King Gizzard & the Lizzard Wizard - all 3 they have released so far this year
Christian Scott - Ruler Rebel
Sufjan Stevens - Carrie & Lowell Live
Elder - Reflections of a Floating World
Algiers - The Underside of Power
Queens of the Stone Age - Villains
Chelsea Wolfe - Hiss Spin
Cory Wong - Cory Wong and the Green Screen Band
Vulfpeck's new album (though its not out yet)

As always, a lot of overlap with David so I better check out the rest!
Ditto boyo. You've listed a couple of releases I need to check out as well. Funny you mention that Sufjan Stevens album (wasn't that last year btw?) as I found it somewhat underwhelming....especially compared to the electronic symph folk thang that is Planetarium.

- Douglas Adams
jude111 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2017 at 12:56

First of all thanks for turning me onto the new LCD Soundsystem album. Damn that thing is smoking! Sorta like if Of Montreal's Hissing Fauna somehow magically stumbled into Berlin era Bowie and made a baby. Brilliant release and one of my favourites this year...along with a couple of others no less.

... Please stick with the GAS album and remember to start the album from track 2 or 3 if you find it hard to connect with the slooooooooooooooooooooooooooooow startWink
I found Kendrick's DAMN not at all that different from Butterfly. Sure the overt jazzy elements are reduced somewhat...but the style and musicality is still there in full. I kinda dig the old school 90s feel of it all...which again was underlined when I read that Dre had taken part in the production. 

Cool, I'm glad you like it!! I still listen to it almost every day, and find new things in it. I hear a lot of 70s-era Brian Eno (Warm Jets, Tiger Mountain) and Talking Heads in their music. Considering James Murphy is my age, it's an inspiration that he's still at the top and getting even better; it gives me hope LOL

I'm definitely going to listen to Kendrick and Gas when I get a chance. Lately I've been in a rock mood, but I'm very changeable; I could go on a hip-hop or ambient techno tangent at any point LOL

Edited by jude111 - October 02 2017 at 13:00
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>