FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe Start of the Neo Prog Era

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2017 at 15:27
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

It is my understanding from a previous conversation with a member of the Symphonic Team is that the main difference between bands being labeled as Neo bands instead of Symphonic bands has to do with the use/sound of the keyboards/strings.  Where as symphonic uses mellotrons and moogs and pianos and hammonds and violins and cellos for their strings, Neo uses that 80's synth sound generated by keyboards that are able to emulate the mellotrons and pianos and hammonds, etc.  There are probably more complicated reasons as well, but coming from somebody who attempted to suggest many, many bands for symphonic only to have them rejected and added to either Neo or Crossover, this was the understanding/conclusion that I came too.

There is something in this certainly and some modern symph bands follow the rules exactly as you say (Glass Hammer , Par Lindh Project , Deluge Grander etc) . IQ have recorded some complex music but generally fall back on sampled sounds quite a lot.
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2017 at 17:36
The Start of the Neo Prog Era 

I thought it was Script for a Jester's Tear.. 
noni View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2017 at 18:41
Could never figure out the difference between Symphonic and Neo.  Are these not similar in sound?...Confused  Smile

Specially when comparing newer bands of this generation.  Wink
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2017 at 20:45
Most(if not all)of the neo bands were influenced by the classic symph bands such as Yes, Genesis and Camel but there was an added "cutting edge" element that also showed a slight influence from punk, new wave and heavy metal at times(probably mostly new wave though)and just modern rock in general. The songs were also shorter(for the most part)and not as complex as the old symph stuff.
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2017 at 23:39
A genre doesn't appear by art of magic with one album, it's a process that lasts years or even decades.

People used to say that Prog was born with ITCOTCK, but where should we leave Procol Harum, The Nice, etc?

The same is with Neo Prog.

Symphonic golden era reached it's peak in 1974, but at the same time people had more problems accepting Relayer and The Lamb, and wanted something simpler.

ATOTT is a starting point, UK second album is even closer, I believe that of Pavlov's Dog would had released Pampered Menial, a few years later, they would had been considered the first Neo band so I would say that Neo Prog is defined somewhere  between 1978 and and 1980.

Iván

Edited by Ivan_Melgar_M - October 17 2017 at 23:40

M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2017 at 05:29
When I was an early teen in the mid to late 70's - Genesis and Yes were referred to as 'Contemporary Rock' as I can remember - or was this just my local group of friends and sharers of my early music influences?
I think the tag "Progressive Rock" was attached later - 'Art Rock' was also used to describe both Genesis and Queen ?? "2nd generation symphonic progressive rock" or 2GSPR began in the year 1980! - 'Live at the Target' is a brilliant example of this I think! - Sequences without the lyrics is superb!
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2017 at 08:37
I've always felt it's an unnecessary category since it's essentially just a slightly later version/origin  of symph prog.....
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234