Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHogarth-era Marillion Playlist

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hogarth-era Marillion Playlist
    Posted: September 16 2017 at 07:14
Help needed. I was a huge Marillion fan in the Fish era, and was devastated when he left. Season's End had several immediate grabbers (such as Easter and Hooks in You), but Hogarth's vocal style and the more subdued instrumentation didn't grab me as much. The band's 'we are not really prog' statements in the early days alienated me somewhat, and much of their work over the last 2-3 decades simply passed me by.

Unsure how often they came up to the North East, but I never got the opportunity to reassess them live. I was all for checking them out at the High Voltage Festival in 2010, but getting in a good position for ELP on the main stage took priority. I've recently given F.E.A.R a spin and was impressed, even if Hogarth's world-weary, semi-spoken vocal style took time to get through to me. However, I feel I'm ready to dip my toes in the huge backlog of albums they have produced - and reassess the likes of Marbles, Afraid of Sunlight etc.

I really want to give the band the time and respect their efforts clearly deserve, so I wonder if any of you stalwarts of the Marillion conventions can give me your personal top plays across the Hogarth-era albums, to send me on the way. Top 10? Top 12? Top 20? Whatever? I've book a ticket for the Sage, Gateshead for next year - so help us out, folks!

“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2017 at 10:31
Ok, here goes. So much to choose from.....

Man of a Thousand Faces, from This Strange Engine
Afraid of Sunlight, title track
Brave and The Great Escape, from Brave
Interior Lulu, from Marillion.com
Gaza, from Sounds that can't be Made
Cloud Above the Rain, from same
The Leavers, from FEAR
King, from Afraid of Sunlight
Invisible Man, from Marbles
Neverland, from same
Real Tears for Sale, from Happiness is the Road

The above will give you an excellent taster, but the simple solution here is to buy all the albums.

Happy listening
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2017 at 10:32
Oh, and how could I not include the greatest Rothery solo ever......This Strange Engine
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2017 at 11:02
Brave - it's a concept album, you'll have to listen to it all

Party, Waiting to Happen, Splintering Heart and This Town Suite from Holidays in Eden
Out of This World, Afraid of Sunlight  - Afraid of Sunlight
This Strange Engine, Estonia - This Strange Engine
Cathedral Wall, Three Minute Boy - Radiation
Enlightened, Go, Interior lulu - marillion.com

Anoraknophobia - Quartz, When I Meet God, This Is the 21st Century
Marbles - The Invisible Man, Ocean Cloud, Neverland (you should listen to it all, it's great!)
Somewhere Else, Thank you Whoever You Are, The wound - Somewhere Else
This Train is My Life, Essence, Wrapped in Time, Trap This Spark, Happiness is the Road, The Man from the Planet Marzipan, Asylum Satelite - Happiness is the Road 
Gaza, The Sky Above the Rain - Sounds That Can't Be Made

Like Laz said, they all deserve a listen. 

octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2017 at 13:13
Originally posted by Squonk19 Squonk19 wrote:

Help needed. I was a huge Marillion fan in the Fish era, and was devastated when he left. Season's End had several immediate grabbers (such as Easter and Hooks in You), but Hogarth's vocal style and the more subdued instrumentation didn't grab me as much. The band's 'we are not really prog' statements in the early days alienated me somewhat, and much of their work over the last 2-3 decades simply passed me by.

Unsure how often they came up to the North East, but I never got the opportunity to reassess them live. I was all for checking them out at the High Voltage Festival in 2010, but getting in a good position for ELP on the main stage took priority. I've recently given F.E.A.R a spin and was impressed, even if Hogarth's world-weary, semi-spoken vocal style took time to get through to me. However, I feel I'm ready to dip my toes in the huge backlog of albums they have produced - and reassess the likes of Marbles, Afraid of Sunlight etc.

I really want to give the band the time and respect their efforts clearly deserve, so I wonder if any of you stalwarts of the Marillion conventions can give me your personal top plays across the Hogarth-era albums, to send me on the way. Top 10? Top 12? Top 20? Whatever? I've book a ticket for the Sage, Gateshead for next year - so help us out, folks!

I feel exactly thesame
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2017 at 18:14
Thanks for your posts so far - much appreciated. Keep them coming - next week's playlist in the car is already taking shape!
Prog-jester View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2017 at 18:15
lazland basically nailed it, but if you need a chronological order and just one song from each release, there you go then:

Splintering Heart (1991)
The Great Escape (1994)
Afraid of Sunlight (1995)
This Strange Engine (1997)
Cathedral Wall (1998)
Interior Lulu (1999)
If my Heart was a Ball (2001)
The Invisible Man (2004)
Somewhere Else (2007)
Happiness is the Road (2008)
Gaza (2012)
The Leavers or The New Kings, hard to decide (2016)
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2017 at 19:33
I was the same with the band after Fish left. I went as far as Afraid Of Sunlight, then never bothered with them until the last few years, when many of the h albums received the vinyl treatment. I have to admit that I missed out for a long time. They really broke away from the 'traditional' Neo-Prog confines and still delivered quality most the way. Generally, their longer pieces are total gems.
A shout-out to House (from Marillion.com) - a beautiful, soulful ride that gets me every time.
Boojieboy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2017 at 21:42
Though I prefer the Fish-era Marillion, I really do like the Hogarth albums "Holidays in Eden" and "This Strange Engine", with "Afraid of Sunlight" and "Brave" as other good contenders. I know that's not a playlist, but you could get those four albums and cover a lot of good ground.

Really don't care for Araknophobia, Radiation, and Season's End (though it has Easter, Hooks in You, and Uninvited Guest). Haven't listened to any past Arak...

Edited by Boojieboy - September 19 2017 at 21:47
ProfPanglos View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2017 at 21:52
I was a big Marillion fan in the Fish-era.  I remember buying Brave in the 90's and was floored by the loss.  And I though Hogarth had such a weak voice.  I couldn't believe it.

A friend of mine gave me a copy of This Strange Engine.  I really liked the title track, but most of the album I was not much impressed with.

I never bought any further Marillion albums.  Over the years I watched a few [Hogarth] Marillion live videos, and was still so unimpressed.

The same friend who gave me the CD bought me a Marillion ticket (Oct 2016) and I flew down there to visit him & see the show.  To be honest, I had pretty low expectations.

Seeing Hogarth live in-concert totally changed my mind.  The man has a very powerful voice and persona that took me completely by surprise.  I was beyond impressed, and it woke me up to their post-Fish sound.

I'll also say that I think FEAR is a brilliant album. 
Boojieboy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2017 at 10:56
Let's not forget Fish's solo albums. The Fish story doesn't have to end with Clutching at Straws.

Vigil in a Wilderness of Mirrors is his first after leaving Marillion, and probably the closest in sound. Innocent Exile is good too. His classics though - in my opinion - are Suits and Sunsets on Empire. Those combine prog. elements with powerful instrumentation. In other words, they sound good turned up! Lots of power there.

Edited by Boojieboy - September 20 2017 at 10:56
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2017 at 11:07
Sunsets is fantastic, great album!
essexboyinwales View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2017 at 07:07
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

Ok, here goes. So much to choose from.....

Man of a Thousand Faces, from This Strange Engine
Afraid of Sunlight, title track
Gaza, from Sounds that can't be Made
Cloud Above the Rain, from same
The Leavers, from FEAR
King, from Afraid of Sunlight
Invisible Man, from Marbles
Neverland, from same
Real Tears for Sale, from Happiness is the Road

The above will give you an excellent taster, but the simple solution here is to buy all the albums.

Happy listening

I can't disagree with this too much, but...

The title track from Sounds That Can't Be Made should be on any Marillion playlist.  Whole of Brave, as someone else said.  And the "Essence" half of Happiness Is The Road is mostly beautiful listened to as a whole as well...
RoeDent View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2017 at 04:51
Dry Land
Alone Again in the Lap of Luxury
King
This Strange Engine
Tumble Down the Years
This Is The 21st Century
Fantastic Place
Don't Hurt Yourself
Montreal
Living in F.E.A.R.

I haven't heard Somewhere Else or Happiness yet, so I can't recommend from those albums.
essexboyinwales View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2017 at 09:23
Originally posted by RoeDent RoeDent wrote:

I haven't heard Somewhere Else yet

This album I really cannot get into, and I have tried...
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2017 at 09:55
Originally posted by essexboyinwales essexboyinwales wrote:

Originally posted by RoeDent RoeDent wrote:

I haven't heard Somewhere Else yet

This album I really cannot get into, and I have tried...

It is one of their more difficult albums, and suffered a lot by being the follow up to Marbles, which was nigh on flawless. There are, though, some lovely moments on it, and it is worth persevering with.
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2017 at 10:03
Thanks to all who have given their thoughts - many hidden treasures you've helped me discover (This Strange Engine an obvious example), other stuff growing on me as I play it, with the odd song not quite striking a chord with me as yet.

I keep thinking if the band were called anything other than Marillion, would I be listening to them? and I think the answer is a yes! In fact I'd have been getting into them sooner, no doubt.

A not dissimilar experience was with the 90125-era Yes. A huge fan of the original, I missed Howe and Wakeman's flourishes - but really enjoyed the freshness that Rabin brought to the sound - although it took time. If they had gone with the Cinema name straight away, as if it was a Yes offshoot, I'd have probably been onboard immediately.

It can work the other way though. Take ''It Bites' - never a real fan at the time, although I liked 'Once around the World'. Good, but a bit too 80s pop at times for me. It was John Mitchell's entry into the lion's den, with "The Tall Ships" which impressed me hugely in the pop-prog style (and also the underrated "Map of the Past") and got me to re-evaluate the original line-up's albums. However, I know that the fans who never accepted a Dunnery-free version could at times give the band a hard time live or on the blogs and reading between the lines, it probably got a bit too much for John in the end and forced the current hiatus. However, as the Lonely Robot project might not have got off the ground - Every cloud....

So, I digress somewhat, but clearly judging bands less by their earlier legacy and taking their current work with an open mind, regardless of the brand name - is something we probably all need to do - including myself. Thanks again for your input!
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2017 at 22:40
Marbles is a brilliant prog album----a masterpiece in my opinion---when they are good not too many modern prog bands better
prog4evr View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2017 at 05:44
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

I too was a Fish-era Marillion snob for far too long. I so agree with Lazland on "The Great Escape" and "Interior Lulu" - excellent (almost prog-esque) songs from the Hogarth-led band...
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2018 at 17:19
Back in September I posted this and thought it was appropriate to bring it back one more time to say thank you all for advice and ideas all those months ago. I saw Hogarth-led Marillion tonight and thoroughly enjoyed it! I probably would have enjoyed it without your playlists, but not as much, I imagine. Hogarth's vocal style and the band's more ensemble approach since Fish left has steadily grown on me and many of your choices are now firm favourites on my playlists. With the last album, F.E.A.R., one of my most played albums (along with Brave, Marbles etc.) it was perfect preparation for tonight.

The set list was El Dorado (gooooold!), Power, Quartz, The Party, Seasons End, Living in FEAR, Out of This World, The Leavers (great!), Goodbye to All That (Wave & Mad), Afraid of Sunlight and the Great Escape. The encore was set to be Easter, but a guy in the crowd dared the band to play Garden Party....and they played a great version (although a double-edged sword, as I would have loved to have seen Easter live! C'est la vie! )

So thanks again folks for your prog expertise!

Edited by Squonk19 - April 11 2018 at 17:45
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>