Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAlbums you really have to grow into liking...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Albums you really have to grow into liking...
    Posted: September 18 2017 at 17:57
Inspired by the Trout Mask Replica topic.

There are recordings that it just takes repeated (sometimes very many) listenings to, to appreciate.

In my case, Trout Mask Replica is one that, even after repeated tries, I just can't get.  I find nothing redeeming about it at all.  It fully, completely, repulses me.

But in retrospect, there are others that I also disliked when I first heard them, but as time went on, they grew on me.  I'll list a few - maybe others have some other recommendations of "difficult" albums for them that they ended up loving...

David Sylvian - Secrets Of The Beehive.  I bought this on many recommendations, many years ago.  For a solid 5 years, I could not figure out what was so great about this album.  But then I started to hear it with different ears, and it now firmly resides in my top 100 of all time.

Gentle Giant - My wife introduced me to this band.  When I first heard them (it was "Three Friends"), I rejected it.  It didn't take too long, though, and I came around.

Gong - Another band my wife introduced me to.  I think it was "Flying Teapot."  I could not get into it, and it took me *decades* to start to appreciate their music.

I'll probably think of more later, but this is a start.
omphaloskepsis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2017 at 18:48
Your wife introduced you to Gentle Giant and Gong?  Talk about 1 in million.   

The following 3 albums took years to grow on me.  Could be the first time I heard Tales, Starless, and Caress of Steel,  I was in my teens.  It wasn't till my late 20's and early 30's before I my appreciation matured.  I probably own recent albums that I'm somewhat "meh" with that will take me by surprise someday.  

Tales From Topographical Oceans
Starless and Bible Black
Caress of Steel

Edited by omphaloskepsis - September 18 2017 at 18:56
Larkstongue41 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2017 at 19:03
It only happened to me once (yet anyways) that I didn't particularly like an album the first 2-3 times I heard it and ended up being very fond of it. It was the s/t Hatfield & The North album which is strange considering I was already a huge Caravan (H&TN and Caravan both included Richard Sinclair) and early Zappa (H&TN shares the comic side of some of Zappa's albums) fan.
"Larks' tongues. Wrens' livers. Chaffinch brains. Jaguars' earlobes. Wolf nipple chips. Get 'em while they're hot. They're lovely. Dromedary pretzels, only half a denar."
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2017 at 19:04
Henry Cow - In Praise Of Learning
Took me ages to get my head around Dagmar's vocals, now I love the album.

Sleepytime Gorilla Museum, took a while to 'get what the band were doing, monstrously good.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
mechanicalflattery View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2017 at 19:41
Pharoah Sander's Black Unity and Joanna Newsom's Have One On Me are probably the only albums it took me more than three listens to enjoy significantly
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2017 at 19:45
A few "growers" for me:

King Crimson - Larks tongues in aspic and islands(islands took forever for me)
Gentle Giant - Three Friends
Genesis - Wind and Wuthering
Yes - Tormato (maybe tales to some degree also)
Marillion - Clutching at Straws

Not sure what else but I'm sure there are others. 

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - September 18 2017 at 19:46
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2017 at 20:16
I am totally in agreement when it comes to Secrets of the Beehive by DAVID SYLVIAN.  An album with similar effect for me was "Rings of Earthly Light" by ERIS PLUVIA.  Both of them sounded beautiful from the first listen, but it took a while for me to get from there to loving every groove of each album with every fiber of my being.  "A Song for all Seasons" by RENAISSANCE was another, as were "Stationary Traveller" by CAMEL, "Ezekiel" by ITOIZ, "Thick as a Brick" by JETHRO TULL, "Planets" by ELOY, "Antiphon" by MIDLAKE, "Imaginaerum" by NIGHTWISH
ProfPanglos View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2017 at 20:52
Originally posted by omphaloskepsis omphaloskepsis wrote:

Your wife introduced you to Gentle Giant and Gong?  Talk about 1 in million.

I know.  I'm a Lucky Man.  :)

She also introduced me to King Crimson.  She has a deep knowledge of progressive rock and jazz.  For a few years, she owned a prog rock record store.  I was a collector/audiophile... it all worked out.  Still going strong after 33 years...

She's an amazing woman.  We were both into prog at a young age.  I introduced her to Camel, Magma, Steeleye Span, John Renbourn, etc. - and a lot of the electronic pioneers.  She's into a lot of the... what I would call "quirkier" side of progressive rock: 10CC/Godley & Creme, Todd Rundgren, Gong, etc.  She's also a huge Yes and Genesis fan.  She doesn't really share much of my love for Tull.

And, she has an [irrational, in my opinion] aversion to anything by Vangelis.

Back to the topic, Rush was another band it took me a while to warm up to.
ForestFriend View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2017 at 23:39
It seems I'm a bit opposite of most people, but I find it's the simple albums that are hardest to get into. When I listen to something complex like Larks Tongues In Aspic or Relayer, at least I can tell that there's too much going on to digest on the first listen.

In The Court Of The Crimson King was one that had to take a bit to really get, since it seemed pretty underwhelming compared to the later prog that I was familiar with. The track listing makes it seems like it has all these complex multi-movements epics, but that really doesn't reflect how the songs were actually structured (to my knowledge, it was all just to trick the record company into thinking it was more than 5 songs so the band would get paid for a full album). So I was a bit disappointed when I first heard it; it's really an album that made me ask "Is that it?" - I've never been one to give albums more points because of historical context. But it's definitely grown on me, although I'm still convinced Moonchild's purpose is to make the title track seem that much better when it finally starts.
Frankh View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2017 at 00:10
Great thread.

Tangerine Dream - Zeit.

First listen: wtf.
Second listen, moons later: WTF?!
Now, I loved Rubycon so much that I just kept trying with Zeit.
Eventually it dawned nebulously over me...
Such stark molten metal beauty.
The soundtrack to the greatest sci-fi film yet to be made.

Edited by Frankh - September 19 2017 at 00:27
Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2017 at 02:33
Cardiacs - A Little Man etc. At first I agreed with the NME review. Now I actually like (most of) it.
All Gentle Giant. In the 70s, I didn't get them. Now I love them.
Camel - Stationary Traveller. I love most Camel, but this sounded too 80s and I didn't listen to it at all. Then it just clicked. Now, it's amongst my favourite albums.
Strawbs - Bursting at the Seams. Part of the Union and Thank You repulsed me so much I rejected the whole album. Then I actually listened to tracks like Tears and Pavan, Down by the Sea and The Winter and the Summer and the whole thing clicked. I just skip POTU and TY.

Ones that haven't clicked - Trout Mask Replica (never will - it repulses me), Larks Tongues in Aspic (well all King Crimson really), Sleepy Time Gorilla Museum in their entirety, all Meshuggah. I've tried, I really have.
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2017 at 06:04
It can go both ways for me. Some times it's the complex and difficult albums that need to marinade in my brain for a while before it all makes sense (Igor Wakhevitch I'm looking at you!) whereas other ventures seem all too straightforward and prog-by-the-numbers-like at first glance...but then you find some little shimmer to your liking and everything thereafter just seems to open up (Phideaux did that for me).
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2017 at 06:19
One of the first proper prog LPs I ever bought, at a tender fifteen years old, was GG's TPATG. Erm wtf even is this??? Is that a violin or a saxophone? Suffice to say I was in no way ready for it, but even so I was fascinated by its strangeness...listened to it periodically...and realised after only about four years that I loved it

Similar story with Spirit of Eden a bit later, though that one only took a year or so.

Funnily enough I didn't come to Trout Mask Replica until I was in my early twenties and had already listened to a lot of free jazz, lowdown blues and Tom Waits - and was able to grok it fairly easily. And I never thought quite so highly of Tom again after I discovered the Cap.

Edited by Mascodagama - September 19 2017 at 11:23
Soldato of the Pan Head Mafia. We'll make you an offer you can't listen to.
Bandcamp Profile
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2017 at 06:22
It always takes me quite a while before I can appreciate an album to it's full extent. However, there are a few that have taken longer than others, like yes' TFTO, King Crimson's RED, Jethro Tull's Underwraps, Camel's Mirage, and a few others. 
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2017 at 06:44
I needed some time before I could appreciate P. Hammill's voice and therefore VDGG as a whole.
Tangerine Dream's Zeit is an example for me as well, I love it now and couldn't make sense of it for at least a decade.
I'm currently making another attempt to get into NEU!; I didn't think much of them since I heard their stuff first time around 1980 when I got into prog.  I like most of their first album now, so there's some progress. I also gave La Duesseldorf another shot but they still annoy me.
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2017 at 06:47
Oh actually, there's also an unlikely candidate: Dark Side of the Moon always had a few highlights for me but I rarely had any desire to go through the whole album. Now I like all of it.
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2017 at 07:21
Here's my more updated list of crazy complex prog. These are the types of albums that require a great deal of investment to really wrap your head around. I limited this to super complex albums but some more straight forward albums can take their time as well. For example some Porcupine Tree albums didn't rub me the right way upon first listen but found their way into my inner earworm playlists :)

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
jude111 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2017 at 08:17
Originally posted by ProfPanglos ProfPanglos wrote:

There are recordings that it just takes repeated (sometimes very many) listenings to, to appreciate.

I learned this lesson at about 19 years old or so, when I bought Van Morrison's Astral Weeks, and absolutely hated it. It got such great reviews, that I was sure I'd love it, but the sounds just grated on me. Several months later, I put it on again, and still wanted to throw the album against the wall and crush it, I hated it so much. About a year later, I tried again... and there was something... The album really bothered me, but I found that I had to listen to it again... Soon it became ear candy to me, like a lush, dense jungle overflowing with beauty that I never wanted to leave. I think for the next 10 years, it was all I ever listened to; I knew every lyric, every vocal inflection. Sadly, I can't even listen to it now, I wore it out so much. But it taught me how to listen to music that at first seems challenging.

Believe it or not, Genesis were similar. I just didn't get the love people had for it. Every 10 years or so, I'd put something on (The Lamb, Selling England), and then turn it off in disgust. It just sounded all wrong: Peter Gabriel's voice sounded totally wrong for prog; when the music was supposed to get loud, it would instead get soft; and where was the funk, the blue notes, why does it sound so white? It wasn't until recently (maybe 10 years a go or so) that it suddenly clicked. I think it was the remastered versions that did it for me. But suddenly, Selling England sounded like the greatest album ever to me; and I wondered why it took me so long to get it.

Edited by jude111 - September 19 2017 at 08:26
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2017 at 08:34
Hah that is me! I can't believe I forgot. Maybe it's because we're on a prog forum but that usually doesn't stop me but yes I was that guy too! I bought Astral Weeks at about the same age as you - span it once and absolutely hated it wanting to throw my cd right out the window - try again and it's pretty much the same story - must've gone years before I gave it another chance and, unlike you, it was love at "first" listen. I remember thinking to myself 'I have never heard this album before in my life....or could it just be that I didn't LISTEN?'
After that, plus a couple of other sheer satori filled moments of pure and utter musical bliss, my life changed completely...or my mind did. Carrot carrot.

Now that I think of it, Lou Reed's Berlin had the same effect on me. Today my alltime favourite Lou record (together with Rock n Roll Animal of course but it's a live thang and doesn't count) but those first couple of listens were excrutiatingly dull to get through.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
HemispheresOfXanadu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2017 at 10:07
Jethro Tull - TaaB
The Mars Volta - Frances the Mute
Antemasque - Antemasque
Nine Inch Nails - Hesitation Marks
Death - can't remember which
Devin Townnsend Project - Sky Blue (disc 1 of Z2)
Big Wreck - Grace Street
@ProgFollower on Twitter. Tweet me muzak.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>