Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAlbums you really have to grow into liking...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2017 at 10:43
Yeah. That old Gentle Giant was a tough listen at first.

Bought The Power And The Glory and couldn't quite deal with it at first. Then came In A Glass House and Freehand because I kept hearing stuff I liked on the local college radio station.

Somehow the latter two helped turn the key for the first and off I went, a new Giant freak in 1975.

My friends made fun of me. "What the hell is this stuff?!"

...until they came around on tour...

Anyone into Giant in that time can attest: they were a different animal live...

We caught them twice in half a year. No one made fun any longer.

Edited by Frankh - September 19 2017 at 11:10
Mystic Mamba View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2017 at 14:47
Tales From Topographic Oceans is the obvious, cliche answer, but it did take me awhile to get into, and now it stands as one of my favorites.

Vapor Trails by Rush was another one that took quite a few listens for me to really appreciate. It has a very raw, aggressive sound that caught me off guard the first time.

Belighted by iamthemorning was a huge grower for me. On my first listen, it flew right over my head, but when I really gave it a few focused listens, I was captivated by the subtle beauty of the whole thing.

Moral of the story: I've learned not to give up on albums that may not be too appealing at first, as they often end up becoming favorites down the road.
ProfPanglos View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2017 at 15:37
It was a hard adjustment for me to be accepting of Hogarth's vocals in Marillion.  I'll never forget the first Hogarth album I heard (I didn't know Fish was no longer the singer).  It was 'Brave.'  I was dumbfounded and almost immediately rejected it.

A friend gave me the 'This Strange Engine' CD, and although I liked the title track, the CD didn't impress me much overall.

The same friend got a Marillion ticket for me last year in his hometown, and I flew down there to attend the show with him.  It was then that I became a believer.  For me, hearing Hogarth on a recording, or even watching a live performance on video, does not do the man justice.  I always thought his voice was weak, but I was wrong, he has a lot of presence and muscle - but for me, it only really came across after I saw them perform it all live in-concert.

ProfPanglos View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2017 at 15:55
Originally posted by Frankh Frankh wrote:

Great thread.

Tangerine Dream - Zeit.

First listen: wtf.
Second listen, moons later: WTF?!
Now, I loved Rubycon so much that I just kept trying with Zeit.
Eventually it dawned nebulously over me...
Such stark molten metal beauty.
The soundtrack to the greatest sci-fi film yet to be made.

Agreed, Zeit took me a while to embrace.  Over the years, the early, more experimental TD albums (1970-75) became more and more engaging for me.  My favorite TD used to always be the Schmoelling era stuff, but lately all I want to listen to is Rubycon & Phaedra.  (And, Epsilon In Malaysian Pale, which I feel is his best solo work, and fits in nicely with Phaedra & Rubycon.)
Lloyd1960 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2017 at 18:32
Huge fan of Marillion,but for some odd reason all their releases take a while to grow on me
zachfive View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2017 at 19:18
A.C.T's album Last Epic. Very well reviewed on this site, and after the first listen I was left with a, "Whats so special about this?", kind of feeling. I think the third time through is when it started to seep in. Since then I've listened to, and enjoy very much, their entire discography.
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2017 at 19:22
Marillion FEAR is those kind of albums.

If I don't get/feel an album from a band I usually enjoy after 4 or 5 serious listens I simply put it aside for a month or so. When I come back to it after some weeks I usually enjoy the work.

So the initial number of listens doesn't really matter, it's the break between those block of listens that does...whatever that means.

Still struggling with the last Peter Hammill - All that Might Have Been
Not the first time it happen with one of his albums, though.
maryes View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2017 at 17:35
Red Queen To Gryphon Three, in my first auditions ,  wasn't enjoyable ... but after a meticulous appreciation, turn  into a masterpiece a 5 stars álbum IMHO !
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2017 at 19:29
OZRIC TENTACLES - Technicians of the Sacred
Quite a few listens to this, and I just can't get past how programmed much of it is. Still trying to crack it.........
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2017 at 21:40
Fred Frith and Henry Kaiser - With Friends Like These...

I found this a really challenging album that I eventually learned to love. A real avant-garde album in the midst of all things, the 80s.
A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)
zwordser View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2017 at 23:50
Yes's Relayer went from being my least fave Yes album to my most favorite, (and perhaps my fave all-time).

VDGG's Godbluff took a while, really love it now.  Still not there with Still Life.

IQ's, Tales From The Lush Attic took a while, and Ever is now growing on me a bit (in contrast to Dark Matter, which I liked almost immediately)

More recently, I was unimpressed with The Flower Kings' Desolation Rose, but it has started growing on me.
Z
axeman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2017 at 17:58
As a sort of odd sort of tangent: I loved Steve Hackett's Spectral Mornings album and always appreciated his stranger stuff. But the title track I thought was boring and repetitive from the first listen. And I kept that opinion until listening to it last year, where something just clicked for me...weird. 

Genesis' Nursery Crimes was hard on first listen. The song that became one of my favorites just grated on me, and the night I bought it, was thinking "what did I just spend money on?" I just didn't get the ending of The Return of the Giant Hogweed, Banks bouncing around with the discordant pseudo-resolutions...

Not that they are hard to listen to or challenging at all, but I'm really starting to appreciate Motorpsycho. Impressed with Begynnelser and Supersonic Scientists (obviously a Genesis reference) listening to Tower right now. A Pacific Sonata, tasty. I've just overlooked them and listened past them. 
-John
Kepler62 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2017 at 22:23
Both those Pavlov's Dog albums from '74 & '75. Listen to them every few years. Bought them because BIll Bruford was on At The Sound Of The Bell. If you can wrap your head around David Surkamp's vocals they're really good albums. Have never heard anything beyond those two. There was a live album but I never got to it. I never had a problem getting into Gentle Giant. A friend loaned me Octopus around the time it came out and I was sold. The only Gentle Giant albums I had difficulty getting into were Civilian and Giant For A Day just because of high expectations. Nowadays I like them just as much as any GG album. Oddly In A Glass House is my favourite. Probably because they started to sound a bit tighter without Phil. No clue why it wasn't released in North America. Interview and The Power And The Glory were certainly the least commercial albums.

Egg was weird at first So was If. I started out with If 3 and then got Waterfall. Had to get used to the vocals.

I could never get into Frank Zappa.

Took me a while to get into the few Rush albums that I have. All The World's A Stage is one of the best live albums of the seventies. Took me a while for that one and if it weren't for La Villa I would have dismissed Hemispheres. Rush sort of wore thin on me after they started to get a lot of airplay here in Canada. If I hear Tom Sawyer again... They were cool when they were being played by CFNY. Someone mentioned Vapour Trails. I immediately liked the original vinyl. 

I could go on. 

Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2017 at 06:55
Most King Crimson to be honest, but they have since become my joint favourite prog band.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2017 at 02:31
off the top of my head although there must be loads

Porcupine Tree - Stupid Dream
Gentle Giant - Power and the Glory
Van Der Graaf Generator - Pawn Hearts
Kayak - Royal Bed Bouncer
Kate Bush - The Dreaming

Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2017 at 06:20
Art Zoyd - Symphonie Pour le Jour...

My first of theirs. Took ages to sink in.
Soldato of the Pan Head Mafia. We'll make you an offer you can't listen to.
Bandcamp Profile
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2017 at 12:55
Manzanera's 801's Listen Now had that effect on me because at first I thought it was too poppy. I listen now often.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2017 at 14:44
Opeth albums. I took a while for them to click. Once they did they crept in slowly. Now i like a lot of them!

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
infocat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2017 at 18:43
Pawn Hearts, for sure.
--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.
grantman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2017 at 17:58
a curious feeling tony banks,crest of knave jethro tull and talk by yes.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>