Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Welcome artists
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Sage Judd - Moonstone (sax/piano driven jazz-prog)
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSage Judd - Moonstone (sax/piano driven jazz-prog)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sage Judd - Moonstone (sax/piano driven jazz-prog)
    Posted: September 18 2017 at 22:18

This was my big musical project this summer. I tried to make a really large piece (it's like 17 minutes, sort of like a whole EP in one) with thematically connected material that really pushed my boundaries. Let me know what you think! I made everything, played everything, mixed everything, etc. 

-Sage

https://soundcloud.com/sage_judd/moonstone

Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2017 at 01:08
hey... that was... pretty great Thanks! 

This reminds me of plenty of 70's prog/jazz/fusion-stuff although nothing specific (which is probably a good thing) but I didn't really get the Coltrane-link. Not that it matters all that much but to my ears this doesn't resemble anything either John or Alice ever recorded. 

Sounds to me that you have a knack for composition - as this long piece has a feeling of an actual whole. And its something I don't think too often while checking out more recent progressive music of various kind. 

It seems you play all instruments yourself? I guess you could benefit from playing this live together with other musicians, and that the music could come more to life that way... so to speak. It shouldn't be so difficult to find an awesome jazz-drummer and a groovin' bassist in lack of someone who can both play and compose. But what do I know.
sage.judd View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2017 at 09:28
You are right that it isn't directly similar to John or Alice's music. I more so mentioned that to let people know there is saxophone and to give people a sense of where I stand vibe-wise while using it, because I don't like the genre/pop culture connotation of a lot of sax related music. If you just say 'sax and keyboard driven jam', a lot of people will assume it's more poppy weather channel atmosphere. A lot of my other music has a lot more soloistic tenor sax with post-bop modern jazz sounds mixed with prog, but I used alto and bari more prominently on this peice. Plus, I am a jazz pianist and saxophonist professionally, and his music is a large influence harmonically. I'm glad you enjoyed it though, thank you for the comment!
The Stygian Heresy View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2017 at 01:53
Moonstone is one fantastic piece!  I'm curious why it's split in two on BC?  I much prefer the comparative solidity of your connected version of the track on SoundCloud.  Clap
 Post Reply Post Reply