Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
13 [38.24%]
21 [61.76%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2017 at 17:15
Trace. Rick van der Linden was one of the truly great keyboards players, and when you add Jaap van Eik and ex Focus drummer Pierre VDL (who was then replaced by Ian Mosley, of course), you have a killer band.

Triumvirat are good, but not in the same league.
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2017 at 17:31
I changed my mind. Vote goes to Trace. I liked them way before T'rat. Birds is one of my favorite records.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2017 at 17:31
Originally posted by Hercules Hercules wrote:

Trace. Rick van der Linden was one of the truly great keyboards players, and when you add Jaap van Eik and ex Focus drummer Pierre VDL (who was then replaced by Ian Mosley, of course), you have a killer band.

Yeah, Trace is awesome.
Raccoon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2017 at 03:00
Originally posted by Hercules Hercules wrote:

When I think of great keyboard players, I think of Konvergencie (Collegium Musicum) or Alas, Trace was never too big for me. Very classical, but I found it decently repetitive. I only own the Trace debut, so I can firmly say that Spartacus wins it for me, even though I like Double Dimple lots better. 

Other keyboardists I like much better, in the following bands: Cardiacs, Atlas, Crucis, Dom, Finch, George Duke (Zappa), Gryphon, Hatfield, Ryuichi Sakamoto, Jose Cid, Le Orme, Locanda, Mort Garson, Metamorfosi, Motoi Sakuraba, National Health, OMD, Residents, Tom Ze, Van Der Graaf..

My point is: I'm not too big on Trace, and I was hoping I would be because I love keyboard-oriented albums, but that album just doesn't stick. At least for me!
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2017 at 04:23
I really enjoyed both of these records although I would have to give a slight edge to Trace...not by a whole much.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2017 at 10:21
I tried, I really tried, with Trace. From what I had heard about them, I thought I would love them to bits, but they are second rate, in my estimation. They seem to be just going through the motions in their music, whereas Triumvirat, well most of you know my stance on that. T'rat's Spartacus is so refreshing and full of vitality, upon every listen, and I have been listening to it for decades. Trace are not in the Rat's league, really, though how hard they try!
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2017 at 11:10
Originally posted by presdoug presdoug wrote:

I tried, I really tried, with Trace. From what I had heard about them, I thought I would love them to bits, but they are second rate, in my estimation. They seem to be just going through the motions in their music, whereas Triumvirat, well most of you know my stance on that. T'rat's Spartacus is so refreshing and full of vitality, upon every listen, and I have been listening to it for decades. Trace are not in the Rat's league, really, though how hard they try!

I am taking my Triumvirat albums for a walk today (Mediterranean-Pompeii), been a while. Did a quick search and realised there are no live recordings from them! Any info about the reason why, Doug? I mean, everybody has released at least one live record during the 70's.

That Trace sounds interesting. Cheapest I saw it is $30 so I'll probably wait for a used copy to show up.
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2017 at 11:22
Originally posted by Barbu Barbu wrote:

I am taking my Triumvirat albums for a walk today (Mediterranean-Pompeii), been a while. Did a quick search and realised there are no live recordings from them! Any info about the reason why, Doug? I mean, everybody has released at least one live record during the 70's.

That Trace sounds interesting. Cheapest I saw it is $30 so I'll probably wait for a used copy to show up.
There are some bootleg live Triumvirat recordings, several, though not in all that great sound; the best of them, performance and soundwise, is this 

presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2017 at 11:26
Not really sure why something truly legit and live does not exist by the band. I guess that in their prime, they had a pretty short lived tenure. I will keep hunting high and low, though. There may be something archival we don't know about that is audio and really great sounding. Let's hope so.
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2017 at 11:41
^^ I'll be back for that bootleg, I'm curious to hear it.

Anyway, I voted for Trace, since I bought it more recently and been very much into it.
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2017 at 12:26

Not really sure why something truly legit and live does not exist by the band. I guess that in their prime, they had a pretty short lived tenure. I will keep hunting high and low, though. There may be something archival we don't know about that is audio and really great sounding. Let's hope so.

All right, thanks. *fingers crossed*
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2017 at 14:54

Yeah, you are a little "presdoug"-sposed (yuck, yuck).

Edited by Rednight - September 22 2017 at 14:55
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
Kepler62 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2017 at 19:22
I went with Trace. Focus got me into progressive rock back in '74 same year that the first Trace album came out. They definitely capitalised on the success of Focus and I was also into Ekseption. Always looked at Trace as slightly better than ELP. Triumvirat lacked the musical background of both but had some good compositions on Illusions and Spartacus. Trace were just more exciting. Birds was a masterpiece. Love that whole album as well as the artwork. Great stuff.
Progmind View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2017 at 08:09
I voted trace beacuse i prefer this album over Spartacus, but vs "Illusions" or "Mediterranean" i prefer Triumvirat
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2017 at 08:50
Nice poll, I hadn't listened to Spartacus for ages and wasn't aware of Trace, and this one made me listen to them both. Although I'm not that keen on Koellen's vocals and it's a bit too ELP-like for me, Spartacus wins it. My appreciation for Trace is intellectual but it mostly misses me emotionally (same for some other of van der Linden's music).
Kepler62 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2017 at 19:53
Just listened to Spartacus for the first time in eons. The Gladiator theme  sails the seas of Lindberger. The music is fine but it's just those cheesy lyrics. The cover with the mouse has absolutely nothing to do with the theme of the album. At least on Pompeii they has some cheesy artwork that had something to to with thecheesy theme. That's the problem I've always had with this band. Too cheese. I'm not even going to say anything about a la Carte.
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2018 at 02:06
Triumvirat!

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12