Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > I Have A Question For You......?
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - How long has Close to the Edge been # 1 on here?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How long has Close to the Edge been # 1 on here?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How long has Close to the Edge been # 1 on here?
    Posted: September 23 2017 at 11:52
I'm just wondering. It's been number one on here for as long as I can remember. 
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2017 at 11:56
I haven't checled the top 100 in a long time but the number one spot used to alternate between Foxtrot, Thick As A Brick, Wish You Were Here and Close to the Edge.
Be that as it may it still serves as a pretty good starting guide for noobs. For the rest of us it is far more interesting diving in at the deep end of the pool. There is so much brilliant stuff out there beneath the surface.

Edited by Guldbamsen - September 23 2017 at 11:57
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The.Crimson.King Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2017 at 12:08
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Be that as it may it still serves as a pretty good starting guide for noobs.

There are plenty of other albums I think deserve the #1 spot, but based on the above I agree it's a great album for the uninitiated to start with.  Shoot, it was my first Yes album followed a month later by Relayer then Tales a month after that so it's apparently a perfect prog-gateway album Wink
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2017 at 12:15

Yeah I bought it, hated it, listened to it again, hated it even more....and then it seemed to gel from there. Wasn't my introduction to the world of pork though but it may just have been the first album I bought, where I knew what prog meant...and sure enough just after I'd come across this site.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The.Crimson.King Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2017 at 14:49
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Yeah I bought it, hated it, listened to it again, hated it even more....and then it seemed to gel from there.

Funny, the 1st time I heard it I remember loving that little break in the intro where Howe's solo stops and Jon and the guys sing, "Ahhhhhh".  I thought it was the coolest thing I ever heard...fast forward a month when I bought Relayer and dropped the needle on Sound Chaser and got, "Cha-Cha-Cha-Cha-Cha" which I thought was about the silliest thing I'd ever heard LOL
CosmicVibration View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CosmicVibration Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2017 at 15:00

It’s been #1 for me ever since I first heard it back in… 1978?

CosmicVibration View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CosmicVibration Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2017 at 15:08
How can any prog fan not dig this?

Cha Cha Cha Cha Cha  Haum

For me it signifies a celebration of creation.

Vompatti View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vompatti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2017 at 15:57
Relayer is clearly their peak. Tales comes close but you need to be in a certain mood for it.
noni View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote noni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2017 at 16:05
Prefer the Yes Album!!.....Wink
ForestFriend View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ForestFriend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2017 at 16:28
I don't know if PA keeps a recording of the historical top album rankings, but looking at various snapshots on the Wayback Machine, it looks like Close To The Edge started to dominate the #1 place around 2005 - before then, Genesis reigned supreme. You can have a look for yourself here: http://https://web.archive.org/web/*/progarchives.com

Edited by ForestFriend - September 23 2017 at 16:29
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2017 at 16:06
Thanks. I'll look into that. 

What really puzzles me is the fact that Dark side of the Moon has sold over 20 million copies but CTTE has "only" sold one million as of 1998(both according to the RIAA so US sales only). I wonder if an updated tally would show it has sold more by now(it has certainly received a lot of coverage and accolades in recent years). Not sure.

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - October 02 2017 at 16:08
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2017 at 16:07
Ok, I wasn't able to access that page unfortunately. I take your word for it though.
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2017 at 17:03
I've seen TAAB in top spot a few times over recent years.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2017 at 18:19
Can anyone change the top 250 have additional columns as postition 2 years ago, 5 years ago, the first year of PA? That would be cool. It's been #1 since i started frequenting the site around 2009 or so

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
ClemofNazareth View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog Folk Researcher

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ClemofNazareth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2017 at 07:24
I've been around for a while now and can tell you the top 10 have changed very little in the past 10-12 years.  They change order from time to time but CTTE, Selling England, WYWH, DSotM, Red, Animals, TAAB, Foxtrot and ITCHYCOCK have pretty consistently been in the top 10 for at least a decade.  Selling England, WYWH, DSotM have held the top spot for periods but it's been mostly Yes for the past few years.  Given the number of reviews those albums have it would be difficult to unseat them from where they are.

There are temporary surges from time to time but they don't last long.  Supertramp's 'Crime of the Century' had a run in the top 10 about seven years ago, as did Anglagard's 'Hybris', Rush's 'Moving Pictures' and Yezda Urfa's 'Boris', but they've long since dropped off.
"Peace is the only battle worth waging."

Albert Camus
Frankh View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frankh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2017 at 08:54
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

I've seen TAAB in top spot a few times over recent years.

Not to stray off topic too much...
...okay, straying...
...but this anything that can go wrong, will go wrong, nothing is as easy as it seems thing you've got going on there, Nogbad...
...in the lower left hand corner of your posts...
...has got IT goin' ON!

lol

By which I mean I like it.

A lot.

The other night I just fixated on it for some time...lmao...
...blew it up and stared at it...

Now, a mostly vain attempt at topicality...

When I first heard CTTE in 1973, I somehow anticipated, foresaw this moment so many years yet to come. Such was the album's apparent greatness even to ears as young as mine were, then.

Not so young, now but the greatness of CTTE is not lessened by the years. Rather it is amplified.
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2017 at 12:29
I had bouncy goats before that one :)
Ian

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2017 at 14:21
Apparently Hitler hates any Yes that doesn't have Steve Howe on it too. Who knew that he was a prog snob. Lol.
Frankh View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frankh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2017 at 14:29
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Apparently Hitler hates any Yes that doesn't have Steve Howe on it too. Who knew that he was a prog snob. Lol.

Ade and I. We're tight.

Although I tried to warn him against that whole "two fronts" thing.

Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2017 at 14:38
Originally posted by Frankh Frankh wrote:

Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Ade and I. We're tight.

Although I tried to warn him against that whole "two fronts" thing.

Well played sir, well played. Clap
Ian

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>