Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Music and Musicians Exchange
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedLooking for Los Angelenos to hang out with

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Looking for Los Angelenos to hang out with
    Posted: September 24 2017 at 01:47
... physically, not on the Web. 

It's been two months since I arrived in Los Angeles, and I don't know anyone in the city that I can bond with (just like in Reno). It's getting really depressing day by day. I'm posting this here because this is the place where it's the closest that I've ever come to a community. It's nice to be here, feeling that you belong somewhere, but I'm looking for someone who wants to hang out and talk about songwriting and probably knows the city better than I do. 

I know this sounds sappy and needy, but I don't care. 

(On the music-related--not-music-related spectrum I think this thread to be somewhere on the left half. I'm certainly talking "exchange" here.)

Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2017 at 02:27
Andrew, I moved away several years ago and it was very hard; I felt lost and disconnected.   It was a failed experiment and I came back home after about ten months.   I'm up the coast in the Bay Area so we can't hang out, but I'm guessing you'll make at least one friend over the next few months, it took me about four months to meet the one friend I had where I moved to.

What part of L.A. are you in?   I lived in Hollywood for a year back in '86 while I attended Musician's Institute when it was next to the Wax Museum near Highland.   I had an apartment on Orchid.   Hollywood was a dump and I didn't much like it.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2017 at 08:17
Sorry to hear that, David. 

I live in Cerritos, which is southeast of DTLA, nearly on the rim of the county, next to OC. I don't have a car; I use transit. So it would take me three hours to get to, say, Hollywood. I got a tiny room for $500/month, which is why I'm there and not in Hollywood. Still looking for a decent job. 

'86 was 31 years ago. I did some research on Hollywood and I reckon things have changed there significantly. And then social media arrived. Which brings us to meetup.com, but those meetings occur only once or twice a month. Just last night I had an experimental electronic session with about six people. Perhaps I'm looking to satisfy that need for bonding a little too quickly and should develop some patience for that. 
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2017 at 19:07
Well if you decide you're miserable in a year or so, don't force yourself to stay .

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2017 at 19:09
Well, if I had somewhere to go, ... . 
 Post Reply Post Reply