Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

if I like Anekdoten, sinkadus, Anglagard...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mellotron Storm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2018 at 12:04
Man I'm so interested in this thread, especially with our Jordsjo friend helping us out. Some already that I didn't know about so thanks all!
These three aren't as full on Sinkadus or Anekdoten-like but they have those influences for sure...
Book Of Hours- Art To The Blind featuring the Zell brothers who would go on to form Wolverine.
Liquid Scarlet's debut
Qoph's Pyrola is another one. Three bands from Sweden.
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
Mellotron Storm View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mellotron Storm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2018 at 14:12
Mikromidas' debut is another with the mellotron and mood.
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2018 at 16:14
Par Lindh Project - Gothic Impressions 

dauinghorn View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dauinghorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2018 at 05:47
Originally posted by Mellotron Storm Mellotron Storm wrote:

Mikromidas' debut is another with the mellotron and mood.

I only have the compilation released by Panorama records a few years ago, nice sound! Not as complex as our Swedish friends, though...
Kingsnake View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kingsnake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2018 at 06:04
I have to watch this thread closely aswell.

Until then, my suggestions are:

Beardfish

and

Rikard Sjöblom
Rikard Sjöblom's Gungfly (I'm a huge fan of last year's album)
Gungfly
Kingsnake View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kingsnake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2018 at 06:12
If you really like mellotron and are not afraid of lighter more romantic progrock, maybe Barclay James Harvest is worth checking out.
There's lots and lots of mellotron, especially in their first period 1969-1973.
But there's some great stuff in the period 1974-1978 aswell.

Maybe one of the best mellotron-prog-songs I know is "Ra" from "Octoberon":

Cosmiclawnmower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cosmiclawnmower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2018 at 13:22
Areknames from Italy are definitely in the same vein as the three Swedish bands in the title of this thread; drawing on that King Crimson/VDGG/ Gnidrolog spring of inspiration with a more modern twist. This one (Love Hate Round Trip) is my favorite but 'in case of loss' is also a good introduction.
Image result for areknames

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dauinghorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2018 at 16:56
Hmmm... Mentioning Barclay Harvest James in a thread about Änglagård, Sinkadus & Anekdoten? Well, maybe. I love the song "Galadriel", but it might not be what the author of the thread is looking for.
ElliotYork View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ElliotYork Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2018 at 04:32
Big big vote for From Silence To Somewhere by Wobbler. A nice heavy dosage of several classic 70s prog bands but done in a refreshing and modern way. Can't fault the album really.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2018 at 06:48
Landberk
Pinkroom
Thank You Scientist
Plastic Dreamer View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Plastic Dreamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2021 at 07:12
Hi, I'm just following up on a post you made some time ago. The link that you included with the post is broken. You wrote:
"I'm not a very big fan of any of these bands anymore, they haven't aged too well for me..

But, Anglagard was majorly inspired by the track Pictures from SBB, so figure I could recommend that album! (Symphonic Pictures)"

Can you tell me which was the album you are referring to. I can't seem to find it and I'd really like to give it a listen.

Many thanks,
John
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2021 at 07:29
Quote Pictures from SBB,

*SFF
Bez pierdolenia sygnał zerwie, to w realia wychodź w hełmie!
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2021 at 07:48
Originally posted by Plastic Dreamer Plastic Dreamer wrote:

Hi, I'm just following up on a post you made some time ago. The link that you included with the post is broken. You wrote:
"I'm not a very big fan of any of these bands anymore, they haven't aged too well for me..

But, Anglagard was majorly inspired by the track Pictures from SBB, so figure I could recommend that album! (Symphonic Pictures)"

Can you tell me which was the album you are referring to. I can't seem to find it and I'd really like to give it a listen.

Many thanks,
John
I'm guessing it's this

Plastic Dreamer View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Plastic Dreamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2021 at 11:42
I've enjoyed reading through this thread and have found lots to explore. Änglagård are one of my favorite bands. I even had the pleasure of meeting them in Stockholm 11 years ago.

I've seen the phrase 'Skogs Prog' used to describe the sort of Scandi Prog that they play, and as I understand it Skogs Prog is typically made in the style of Prog from the classic period in early 1970s. It uses lots of mellotron, sometimes acoustic instruments, but not always, and more often than not includes musical references to Nordic folk music.

This stuff has got me through lockdown. Here is a list of some of the Nordic-Scandi Prog/Skogs Prog bands that I recommend to fans of Anekdoten, Sinkadus, Änglagård...

From Sweden: Agusa, Hollow Earth, Liquid Scarlet

From Norway: Wudewuse, Jordsjo, Caligonaut, Arabs in Aspic, Elds Mark, D'Accord, Ring Van Mobius

From Finland: Malady, Sammal, Orne

From Denmark: Vaerket (recommend their 1st album)

From Iceland: Eldberg (recommend their 2nd album)
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2021 at 08:04
No one mentioned the obvious: All Traps On Earth!!!
The Prog Corner
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2021 at 01:49
^ the original thread pre-dated the release I think. Certainly a great album and easily in my my top ten of the last 10 years any genre.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dauinghorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2021 at 02:25
Originally posted by Plastic Dreamer Plastic Dreamer wrote:

From Norway: Elds Mark

Thank you Smile I think this album kind of got stuck under the radar during 2020...
PhideauxFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PhideauxFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2021 at 02:40
Gargamel (Norway).

Anima Morte (Sweden).

My Brother The Wind (Sweden) (with the leader of Anekdoten).

Palefeather (Sweden).

Seven Impale (Norway).

Edited by PhideauxFan - September 17 2021 at 02:58
Progmind View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progmind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2021 at 17:02
I recommend you Gargamel from Norway
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12