Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHave you met any well know prog musicians?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Have you met any well know prog musicians?
    Posted: September 25 2017 at 14:58
 Someone wrote a post about how they meet a well know prog singer. The post made me wonder how many people on the site have stories about some prog musicians from well known bands.

I was fortunate enough to meet Alan White from Yes in a one one one situation once. I was at the NAMM show in California. NAMM is the National Association of Musicians Merchants. it's basically a big convention where all the companies that make musical instruments & equipment bring all their new toys every year.
I was in the Ludwig drum area. It was the early on the first day of the show so thing were pretty quite, not too many people there yet. I looked up and Alan was about 10 feet away. I went up and said hi & we had a nice conversation. This was just before Yes was going to do the big Union tour so he told me all about that. He was very cool & down to earth and a real pleasure to speak with. I saw him several more time over the week end and he always had a smile & a wave for me. Very nice guy.

Anyway , who have you met & what was the experience like?

Edited by Argo2112 - September 25 2017 at 15:00
Menswear View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2017 at 15:33
It's not spectacular but here we go:

As I was working at the front desk of a Quality Inn in Quebec City, I saw many stars passing by the hotel lobby cringing inside not to engage with them. It's policy of the establishment and our hotel was a perfect decoy against fan-harassment for Kiss, Styx, Sum 41 and such.

One evening, as I was staring into space (a common task) I saw Lawrence Gowan walking slowly by me in the lobby. The groupie in me instantly replied without thinking: 'Mr. Gowan!!!'
He smiled gently and calmly went my way. I talked very fast saying that I knew him since I was 8 years old, seeing him on the Canadian program 'Video Hits', broadcasted by the CBC.

I also told him I like his work like the Criminal Mind and the Strange Animal, wishing I had a blue lock of toupee like he sported back then in the 80's, but my mom never wanted. That made him laugh hard and he signed me a long autograph as the 'Criminal Mind' himself, with a strong handshake and a pat on the shoulder.

He was smiling a lot and seemed cheery. He was a man of few words, but his body language was warm and relaxed.
Later the staff of the Quality Hotel FIRMLY asked me not to engage with celebrities again, but I still did it with rock and hockey stars. It probably explain my (very) short career with Quality Hotel. Totally worth it!Wink
A friend is someone who helps you move. A best friend is someone who helps you move a body.
Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2017 at 16:43
Brian May. Was on an Astronomy course with him in the early 70s, just before Queen when he was in a band called Smile.
Ian Anderson & Dave Pegg. Met them at the White Bear in Masham (the Theakstons brewery tap) when they were staying there and spent a night drinking with them.
Druid - they played our univ and I was ents rep. Horslips (shared a table with them at Dundee Univ ball where they were playing) and I know Charles O'Connor well through visiting his antique shop in Whitby regularly. Mostly Autumn (most of whom live near me).

Edited by Hercules - September 26 2017 at 03:21
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2017 at 16:55
I have told this story befor but here it is again:

I was at a Peter Hammill concert at the Krebelshof, a small venue in Worringen, a suburb of Cologne, in the late 80s or early 90s, most probably 1989 (I still had my hair back then; it started falling out in 1993). The concert was originally scheduled for the afternoon but was postponed a few hours. I did not know about the postponement and was hours too early. Since I was there by public transport and the bus went only once an hour on weekends I decided to stay and have a beer.

While I sat there sipping my beer Peter Hammill came out, sat at a table next to me and had a beer too. I decided to talk to him, but not like a fan talks to his star, just like any person to another person. We talked a while, and then he suggested we should go for a walk. We slowly walked the Alte Neusser Landstraße, which stretches from Southwest to Northeast in a straight line for a few kilometers, and talked about all kinds of things - math, physics, literature, Zen-Buddhism, art, classical music and lots of other stuff. After some kilometers we reached a bridge, where we decided to cross the road and walk back. The walk was over an hour long, maybe even close to two, and it was a most interesting talk. The concert was good (with band), but the memorable thing about it was this long walk.

Edited by BaldFriede - September 25 2017 at 17:52

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2017 at 17:37
From Yes:

Jon Anderson 
Bill Bruford
Alan White
Tony Kaye
Billy Sherwood
Steve Howe(very briefly)

From Kansas:

Rich Williams (briefly but signed a program)
Robbie Stenhardt (nice guy shook my hand first)

Two rather rude experiences:

Robert Fripp (sort of but not really. He didn't speak)
Fish (ex Marillion)(same as above)

All of Spock's Beard at one point or another

All of Echolyn

Roine Stolt (From TFK)(Not particularly friendly but not quite overtly rude either)

Mike Portnoy (briefly a long time ago at Nearfest)

Peter Hammill (very briefly but he seemed nice)

Steve Hackett (same as above)

Steven Wilson (briefly and a few years before PT got really big)

Gary Green (from Gentle Giant; Friendly guy)

Andy Latimer (met him and got his autograph for my program when Camel headlined Nearfest one year)

I have spoken to(whether briefly or for a few minutes)to the following:

One of the guys from Glass Hammer(I think Fred). Plus members from many lesser known bands over the years including The Flower Kings, Mastermind, Djam Karet, Happy the Man, Nexus, Bent Knee, Nemo, Underground Railroad, Land of Chocolate, The Red Masque, Sleepytime Gorilla Musem, Tempano, The Muffins, Shadow Merchant, Edensong, Three(not the ELP related band), Erik Norlander, District 97 and on and on. I know I'm leaving a lot out because over the years I have met a lot of musicians from prog bands but most are from lesser known bands. Other than Steve Hackett I never met anyone from Genesis and I never met anyone from Rush.

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - September 25 2017 at 20:50
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2017 at 17:41
I've been lucky to have met a few and all the interactions were positive.

1) Robert Fripp: Tower Records Campbell CA, Frippertronics tour, 1979.  A relatively small group of us showed up for the demonstration during which RF created a few Frippertronics loops and took questions.  Afterwards RF made a concession to his usual no autographs/no pictures stance and signed copies of Exposure (someone brought their Chapman Stick and asked him to autograph that and he politely declined) and posed for photos.  I went through the autograph line and got my copy of Exposure signed then realized he was just standing there, so I went back up to the register again and we had a nice chat.

2) Alan Holdsworth:  Manhattan Beach Music, 1985.  I was in LA for a wedding and walked to the closest music store to kill some time.  There was a line outside and I asked what people were waiting for.  They told me Alan Holdsworth was giving a seminar there in a couple hours and the doors opened at 1pm.  I had to leave for the wedding at 1:30 but came back and got in line anyway.  When they opened the doors everyone headed to the corner of the store where a stage had been setup.  I knew I couldn't stay anyway so I walked over to the guitars to check out what they had.  All of the sudden I realized someone was standing next to me also looking at the guitars.  I turn around and it's Alan Holdsworth!  We talked for a few minutes and he was very soft spoken and nice.

3)  Roger Powell:  Guitar Center San Jose, 2008.  It was a weekday lunchtime and I was looking at something in the keyboard room and this guy comes up to me and says he owns one and really likes it.  We talked about it for a few minutes and he shakes my hand and says, "I'm Roger...Roger Powell".  I was quite surprised...looked at him and the first thing I thought to say was, "I saw you on Bowie's Heroes tour in Oakland back in '78".  He was working at Apple at the time which was just a short drive away down Stevens Creek Blvd and on his lunch break.  We hung out and talked gear and Apple for another 20 minutes (I worked there '82 -> '85) then he said he had to get back to work.

4) Pete Trewavas: Santa Clara, 1992.  Marillion was touring "Holidays in Eden" and played this small club called "The Cabaret" which had become a great spot to see big prog names (Hackett played there a year later).  After the show Pete was hanging out with a few of us talking music...I mostly recall someone kept trying to get him to talk smack about Fish but he was having none of it which I thought was very classy.

Edited by The.Crimson.King - September 26 2017 at 08:53
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2017 at 18:29
well living in NYC as a young student I ran into a few 
Jon Anderson, Howe, White and Moraz at a hotel
Robert Fripp in my gym sauna---same with Brian Eno lol
also met Lou Reed, Laurie Anderson, one of the singers from Tears for Fears--singer from B52's (not prog I know) guitarist for Def Leapard all at the gym---(again not prog)
Bill Bruford after a concert ---
and the day I bumped into Phil Collins at the peak of Genesis and solo fame on a street in my neighborhood where I said Hi and he asked me to take him shopping for gifts for his kids ---which I didBig smile

Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2017 at 19:08
These are both with Prog Folk artists.  I chatted with all the lads while getting their autographs on a CD after a Fairport Convention concert.  Nice group of people, especially Christ Leslie.  Dave Pegg grabbed me at random for a photo taken by another fan.  I have never seen that photo.  Also had a nice chat with a couple of the boys from Tempest (U.S. version).  They were quite likeable as well.  Saw Tony Levin at a Denny's in Sacramento, but he did not look like he felt like talking to anyone new, so I just politely stared as I walked by.
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2017 at 20:01
I forgot a few important ones. I also talked to briefly the members of Banco (and got Darwin signed)and also Nektar who signed some of my cds. I also met and talked to Roger Dean(not a musician obviously)and had him sign some albums(relayer and demons and wizards). 
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2017 at 21:41
I gave Lady Loreena a kiss on the cheek. I should have attempted the lips, though.
addictedtoprog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2017 at 21:50
I haven't met any prog musician.... Hell I haven't even met any prog fan till date in my life
Dan-the-3rd View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2017 at 22:30
I met Paul Masvidal from Cynic a few years ago in Toronto.  Had emailed him after Kindly Bent to Free Us was released, and he told me to let him know if I can make it to that show.  I was able to hand with Paul for an hour or so and watch Cynic's soundcheck.  Totally unexpected and awesome opportunity!

Last month I had the opportunity to take a Seaboard/sound design lesson with Diego Tejeida from Haken in Cleveland.  I don't think I have ever talked to a more knowledgeable person - he blew my mind with how he approaches sound design.  
axeman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2017 at 22:35
I annoyed Steve Morse at a guitar clinic asking questions he didn't particularly like for some reason. 

That's it. 
-John
DaleHauskins View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2017 at 22:48
Before I joined Swiss prog band Flame Dream,
a younger prog jazzrock guitarist from L.A moved to Bath Spa England.
At 19 years old:
Peter Gabriel (at his house in Bath)
Bill Bruford
Robin Lumley
Robert Fripp
Allan Holdsworth (a dear missed friend)
Phil Collins
Steve Hillage (few times)
Gary Moore
Percy Jones
Rod Argent
Jon Hiseman
________
Whilst in Flame Dream:

Nick Magnus (dear friends)
John Acock
Patrick Moraz (many times)
Phil Chen (dear friends)
Fredy Studer (dear friends)
Coco Rousell (Dear friend,French drummer for progrock Happy the Man.I was in a working band with.)
Alan White (many times at NAMM plus more musicians.)
Steve Hackett
Sparks
Chad Wakerman
JoJo Mayer
Bill Ward (used to play with him)
Gary Husband
Jeff Berlin
Banco
John McLaughlin
Jean Ristori
and happily possibly more.

Edited by DaleHauskins - September 25 2017 at 23:16
Dale Hauskins
(858) 401-2973
(310) 293-0432
https://artistecard.com/Dalehauskins

Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2017 at 23:10
Oh man, most the above is just unreal !!
Me, spoke to Peter Hammilll at both his gigs here in Australia (June 20/21 1997) and he shook my hand, both nights. Got a few things signed and just asked dumb questions which he was more than happy to answer. I was really surprised at how casual and approachable he was - given that Pawn Hearts was my most incredible album for many years, and my (obviously) miscalculated perceptions of its mastermind.
Other than that, I hung around to meet Canadian icon Bruce Cockburn (just an incredible musician/composer - sometimes verging on Prog here and there for a 'folkie')
And got to speak with recent NEKTAR keyboardist Klaus Henastch whilst in NYC on holiday (and was fortunate enough to witness this Turner's Wishbone Ash / Nektar gig at the right time. Even spoke with him about his tenure with German heavy-Proggers Jane.
These fleeting moments mean the world to me,
infocat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2017 at 01:24
I spoke to Carl Palmer a bit on Cruise to the Edge.
Honestly can't remember what about, though.  But he seemed pretty cool and down to earth.
--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2017 at 01:51
I met Neal Morse during a signing session after a performance which was provided by nature with a quite spectacular light show (20 August 2009) during the first ten or fifteen minutes. We talked a bit and he reminded me that he would perform some epics on the next evening.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2017 at 01:52
.......surely a member of the industry can't be a total c**t.........
Raccoon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2017 at 02:37
Originally posted by BaldFriede BaldFriede wrote:

I have told this story befor but here it is again:

I was at a Peter Hammill concert at the Krebelshof, a small venue in Worringen, a suburb of Cologne, in the late 80s or early 90s, most probably 1989 (I still had my hair back then; it started falling out in 1993). The concert was originally scheduled for the afternoon but was postponed a few hours. I did not know about the postponement and was hours too early. Since I was there by public transport and the bus went only once an hour on weekends I decided to stay and have a beer.

While I sat there sipping my beer Peter Hammill came out, sat at a table next to me and had a beer too. I decided to talk to him, but not like a fan talks to his star, just like any person to another person. We talked a while, and then he suggested we should go for a walk. We slowly walked the Alte Neusser Landstraße, which stretches from Southwest to Northeast in a straight line for a few kilometers, and talked about all kinds of things - math, physics, literature, Zen-Buddhism, art, classical music and lots of other stuff. After some kilometers we reached a bridge, where we decided to cross the road and walk back. The walk was over an hour long, maybe even close to two, and it was a most interesting talk. The concert was good (with band), but the memorable thing about it was this long walk.

Fantastic story, especially being the mastermind of so many wonderful, timeless albums. All-in-all, they're human. 

I met Steve Hackett for a paid meet-and-greet after his concert, which I regretted immediately, as it was completely paid and not personal. He said hi, looked around, and disregarded any comments I made towards him. Of course, I was younger at the time (18), but it's not even worth mentioning because of how impersonal it felt.
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2017 at 03:40
Met Bill Bruford at a jazz club about 7 years ago. We talked about drumming and his autobigraphy. Nice chap.

Met Anthony Phillips and John Mayhew at a Genesis convention.

Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>