Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHave you met any well know prog musicians?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2017 at 04:22
Although he is only in the "prog-related" section in PA (with Fairport Convention). I met Richard Thompson backstage after a Melbourne concert in 2004 at a meet and greet for an RT email list with about 4 other fans.

How normal and relaxed can a genius be?! Shook his hand chatted for at least 15 minutes about football (soccer), places in Australia he should visit...he was really interested in what Byron Bay was like as he was going to play the Blues festival there...I told him it was magnificent. We didn't speak about music or his performance that night at all!

After that I thanked him, had a few happy snaps (which I will not reveal here!) and that was the fastest 15 minutes in my life!

Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2017 at 05:49
While doing some work for UNICEF, Patric Moraz lived a few months in Central America (El Salvador to be more specific), and worked a lot with a friend of mine, so I had a chance to talk to him a few times.
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2017 at 07:59
Matthew Parmenter from Discipline performed a solo show for me once.  He was opening for Tiles at a local bar and I was the only patron in the bar while he was performing.  I snapped some pictures and spoke with him a bit afterwards about VDGG and Magma. 

I've met the guys from Tiles a couple of times.  They performed a show at a local record store and stuck around afterwards and met with fans.

I met Rick Wakeman after a solo performance in Toronto and had my picture taken with him.  I was actually waiting in the lobby to enter the show prior to the doors opening when he arrived and walked in the same doors.  We exchanged pleasantries prior to the venue letting him in the doors.

I met Todd Rundgren prior to a performance.  We were walking to the venue from the parking structure when he got off of his bus.  We were able to shake hands and say hi to him prior to his entering the building.

Edited by rushfan4 - September 26 2017 at 08:00
cemego View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2017 at 09:07
Met Emerson, Lake and Palmer at a CD signing in Philly for the Manticore box set thing.
Used to be a pen pal with Adrian Belew during the Twang Bar King era.  Have a few hand written letters from him. 

Interviewed Todd Rundgren for the Phillips CD-I unveiling in Philly for a paper I was doing in college on digital sound reproduction and its' affect on the mass market music industry (this was during the No World Order album).

Met Percy Jones from Brand X and celebrated his birthday with him after a show at the now long gone Chestnut Cabaret in Philly.  (Just saw the Brand X reunion show last week.  Mind was completely blown!  Always been a fan.  Percy is still my all time favorite bass player.  Hearing him is a pleasure, watching him play is sublime!)

Met and chatted with Holger Czukay from CAN after a solo show in Baltimore.  Got my picture taken with him.  He had one hell of a "magic table" and played guitar and French horn!  It was awesome.

Briefly met Ian Anderson while I was working on a contract at Voice of America in DC.  I think he was promoting a solo album at the time.

Does any of these count?

Edited by cemego - September 26 2017 at 09:10
listen to streaming stuff! no commercials!

http://wmom.servemp3.com:8000/listen.pls
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2017 at 09:08
Just Wetton, Jobson, and Fripp, all around '79. I'm probably forgotting someone.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2017 at 09:35
Oh, yeah, Hackett in, I believe, '81. He was arriving with band in tow at a now defunct San Diego nightclub called the Bacchanal in late afternoon for a sound check. All I could muster was a "Welcome to San Diego, Mr. Hackett," and he nodded towards me and smiled. He then invited me and the other five early birds into the club to watch him set up. I thought it better to just continue waiting at the door because I was holding a place in line for three buddies who were going to show up later. No loss as I was about 50 feet from the stage anyhow and heard every note of the voluminous sound check as it was. All these years later, I recently e-mailed him to ask when he'd be appearing in Los Angeles next, and he graciously replied with a curt answer that ended in "Cheers."
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2017 at 10:30
This guy....and the rest of the band, post-35th Anniversary show in Chicago.  RIP Chris Squire.  

I've met others including Fripp on several occasions (I email to him occasionally), Bruford, Belew (at a record store signing albums in the Discipline days), Brand X guys Goodsall and Jones, etc.   

Keep your eyes open for guitar store clinics, some of these guys are endorsers and they tour/play stores like Guitar Center.  I met Mike Keneally that way.  Nice guy!  

I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2017 at 10:32
The Marillion boys in Oswestry, where they recorded Radiation, and did an intimate gig at The Walls restaurant. All of them were a joy to meet and speak to, a fantastic bunch.

Wakeman in Whitchurch, where he was playing a gig with his son, Oliver. Me and my mate were ever so drunk, but he was a blast, and extremely patient.

Bryan Josh. I buttonholed Bryan at The Globe, and he talked for something like half an hour. An extremely decent bloke.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2017 at 10:51
Would you believe me if I told you that I ran into Carl Palmer at CBGBs in the seventies? I didn't think so.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Argo2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2017 at 10:57
 Besides Alan White I had a few more, Again mostly at the NAMM show. I met Chris Squire very briefly. He was leaving the show but i got to say hi & shake hes hand. Got to speak with Jeff Berlin for a few minutes after he did a clinic. Also Chester Thompson. He looked exhausted after a long day but was nice enough to let me get a picture. Also Rod Morgenstien & Chad Wackerman. (Lots of Drummers!)
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2017 at 11:29
not prog, but a very famous musician in Colognn: Wolfgang Niedecken, head and singer of the band "Bap" (which is Cologne dialect for "father"). his portrait can be found on several pillars of the Cologne subway that how people that are associated with the city of Cologne. he used to breakfast in the same café Friede and I used to breakfast (before we opened our restaurant), and we often talked with him

here some examples of those portraits; the second from left is soccer player Pierre Littbarski, the one on the right is of course the late Holger Czukay; I am not certain who the other 2 are

Edited by BaldJean - September 26 2017 at 12:01

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2017 at 12:16
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

Keep your eyes open for guitar store clinics, some of these guys are endorsers and they tour/play stores like Guitar Center.  I met Mike Keneally that way.  Nice guy! 

That's how I saw Bill Bruford...not GC but Guitar Showcase in San Jose.  In the late 80's he was touring music stores demoing the latest Simmons electric drum kit.  He didn't do any 1-on-1's after so I didn't get to talk to him, but sitting a few feet away while he did his thing was awesome Wink
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2017 at 13:07
Claudio Simonetti and the other guys in Daemonia.

Buck Dharma (we hung out with him and bought him drinks), Eric Bloom and the other guys in Blue Oyster Cult.

All the guys in Djam Karet, multiple times (they're an L.A. band, you know).

Dave Meros of Spock's Beard (the only Beard'ed one I actually talked to, not just walked by).

Clive Nolan, briefly (he was standing there alone, so I walked up and shook his hand and complimented him on a great set). Later, at an after-party, met Mick Pointer and the rest of Arena.

Kenso founder Yoshihisa Shimizu, by way of translator, at PF2K. 

Could have met ex-Tangerine Dreamer Paul Haslinger a few weeks ago, but I didn't drive up to the signing/release party for the 2CD reissue of Miracle Mile
Cosmiclawnmower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2017 at 14:16
I slept in John (brother of Steve) Hackett's broom cupboard once..Embarrassed

Not prog but I played Space invaders with Bruce Dickinson when he was Bruce Bruce and in a band called Sampson. About 1981.

Apparently met Peter Bardens in 1972 or 73 as he was producing an lp for the band who lived at the 'Farm' (commune) up the road. I would have been about 11 

Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2017 at 15:18
Originally posted by The.Crimson.King The.Crimson.King wrote:

Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

That's how I saw Bill Bruford...not GC but Guitar Showcase in San Jose.  In the late 80's he was touring music stores demoing the latest Simmons electric drum kit.  He didn't do any 1-on-1's after so I didn't get to talk to him, but sitting a few feet away while he did his thing was awesome Wink
Bill Bruford gave a drum clinic at San Diego State University in, I think, '81. Fascinating as would be expected. When the clinic was over, me a few friends filed on out dutifully with the rest of the crowd. I found out later that 15 minutes after the auditorium let out, Bruford returned to a small group of 30 people or so who'd stuck around and signed autographs, chatted, and generally provided one and all his utmost attention. Damn.
Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2017 at 16:00
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

The Marillion boys in Oswestry, where they recorded Radiation, and did an intimate gig at The Walls restaurant. All of them were a joy to meet and speak to, a fantastic bunch.

Wakeman in Whitchurch, where he was playing a gig with his son, Oliver. Me and my mate were ever so drunk, but he was a blast, and extremely patient.

Bryan Josh. I buttonholed Bryan at The Globe, and he talked for something like half an hour. An extremely decent bloke.

He is. And his wife Olivia is a delight too. I also worked with Iain Jennings for a while and he's a super guy.
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.
dwill123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2017 at 17:18
I met David Sancious in the basement of a church about 4 years ago.  Nice guy but very quiet, very focused.

Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2017 at 17:50
Originally posted by Raccoon Raccoon wrote:

Originally posted by BaldFriede BaldFriede wrote:

I have told this story befor but here it is again:

I was at a Peter Hammill concert at the Krebelshof, a small venue in Worringen, a suburb of
Cologne, in the late 80s or early 90s, most probably 1989 (I still had
my hair back then; it started falling out in 1993). The concert was
originally scheduled for the afternoon but was postponed a few hours. I
did not know about the postponement and was hours too early. Since I was
there by public transport and the bus went only once an hour on
weekends I decided to stay and have a beer.

While I sat there
sipping my beer Peter Hammill came out, sat at a table next to me and
had a beer too. I decided to talk to him, but not like a fan talks to
his star, just like any person to another person. We talked a while, and
then he suggested we should go for a walk. We slowly walked the Alte
Neusser Landstraße, which stretches from Southwest to Northeast in a
straight line for a few kilometers, and talked about all kinds of things
- math, physics, literature, Zen-Buddhism, art, classical music and
lots of other stuff. After some kilometers we reached a bridge, where we
decided to cross the road and walk back. The walk was over an hour
long, maybe even close to two, and it was a most interesting talk. The
concert was good (with band), but the memorable thing about it was this
long walk.

Fantastic story, especially being the mastermind of so many wonderful, timeless albums. All-in-all, they're human. 

I met Steve Hackett for a paid meet-and-greet after his concert, which I regretted immediately, as it was completely paid and not personal. He said hi, looked around, and disregarded any comments I made towards him. Of course, I was younger at the time (18), but it's not even worth mentioning because of how impersonal it felt.

I have read often about these meet and greet packages, but my impression has always been what you just confirmed. I know the bands want more money and all... plus surely promoters have a lot to do with such packages, but I don't think it's really something special at all. My impression from a non-commercial point of view is that these kind of things should be more like a plus for fans. Perhaps choose some few people at random, perhaps to be announced at the concert itself... perhaps not at every show so that the band won't feel obligated and annoyed at meeting fans. Something that really feels special.
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2017 at 18:35
Originally posted by dwill123 dwill123 wrote:

I met David Sancious in the basement of a church about 4 years ago.  Nice guy but very quiet, very focused.

love Sancious---was he a religious freak or just in a church?
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2017 at 18:52
My "meet n greet" experience with Christian Vander was far more enjoyable than the above impression. He seemed very engaged with each of the people he met, despite the very evident language barrier. Even if it had been "impersonal", I would have gladly paid the extra $25 anyway just to help fund future tours. The ticket price and venue sizes could not have resulted in much profit.

Anyway, he was unexpectedly gracious.

Oh, and I have also met Allan Holdsworth, Victor Wooten and Kido Natsuki. Coolest experience though was hanging with Kevin and Colin of Dysrhythmia and taking photos when they played at a preschool in Fresno....I kid you not.

Edited by Tapfret - September 26 2017 at 18:58
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>