Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Toronto - what to see, wher to go and where to eat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedToronto - what to see, wher to go and where to eat

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Toronto - what to see, wher to go and where to eat
    Posted: September 28 2017 at 23:50
I want to here from our Canadian PAers there tip to what to do in Toronto, im travling there with my job and are there for 3 weeks and wonder what to do when we are allowed spare-time. other tips then Toronto tv tower would be great.

how do one go around in Seattle, are people friendly or rude or jovial. where do Geddy Lee live ,

are there som Torontians here. i like ofcourse a nice cafe, is there any nice bohemian cafes were one can talk to canadians. Any place were they have quiz or bingo.

people whom have experianced Toronto whom are not from Canada are also allowed to give advice

Edited by Icarium - September 28 2017 at 23:52
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2017 at 06:04
If you like spaghetti, then you will have to eat at the Spaghetti Factory. http://oldspaghettifactory.net/

Alex Lifeson is an owner of The Orbit Room in Toronto. http://www.orbitroom.ca/

You may want to check out the Lee Lifeson Art Park.

There is also a Hard Rock Café in Toronto.  https://www.opentable.com/hard-rock-cafe-toronto

If you like hockey, the Hockey Hall of Fame is a neat place to visit.  http://www.hhof.com/

Edited by rushfan4 - September 29 2017 at 06:12
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2017 at 06:27
My last passage to Toronto is way too old to still give you valid addresses...

Maybe the Vinyl Museum (a record shop on Yonge Street, close to Dundas st) still exist...
Maybe Vortex Records still exist (Yonge & Eglinton) and if he does, say hello to Bert from Hugues (not likely he'll remember, though, though he might remember one of his good client leaving for Tunisia)...

Maybe The Fire Pit still exist - the best burgers you've ever eaten during the 80's

Magnum Vaeltaja View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2017 at 18:30
If you're on the lookout for Rush fan stuff, the only thing that I can really think of would be checking out Queen's Park, a.k.a. the building in the background of the Moving Pictures album cover.
when i was a kid a doller was worth ten dollers - now a doller couldnt even buy you fifty cents
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2017 at 16:15
few Canadians have responded i thought more would jump to the occation to help me around in this grand city.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2017 at 22:28
^ I don't think many of the Canadians on the forum are Torontonians. If you ever find yourself in Vancouver, though, we got you covered! CoolThumbs Up

I'm pretty sure JD is from the GTA - maybe you could try sending him a PM?
when i was a kid a doller was worth ten dollers - now a doller couldnt even buy you fifty cents
HemispheresOfXanadu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2017 at 11:12
Originally posted by HemispheresOfXanadu HemispheresOfXanadu wrote:

https://www.canadaswonderland.com/play/events/halloween-haunt
It's often packed such that rides are super long waits tho

https://www.ripleyaquariums.com/canada/tickets/?utm_source=google&utm_campaign=q2&utm_medium=ppc&gclid=Cj0KEQjw3rfOBRDJruDR8Ljm7e0BEiQAam-GsIiyXphcJ5dXiQD0C5IQNlWDasOMtEmdncKhtfmoDY4aApVi8P8HAQ
Haven't heard anything about it other than it's new

https://www.rom.on.ca/en
Royal Ontario Museum. Haven't been in a long time and don't remember much

http://casaloma.ca
Sister's hubby suggested this though you've got more impressive castles in Europe

https://www.cfshops.com/toronto-eaton-centre.html
Big mall

http://steamwhistle.ca/tour/tourInfo.php
Beer brewery!

https://www.ontariotravel.net/en/play/arts-and-culture/art-galleries-and-museums?WT.mc_id=Ontario_Masterbrand_search_Google_G_SEM_text_Attractions17&gclid=CjwKCAjw3rfOBRBJEiwAam-GsBIJBq3zbmOCmHW9dMXWdsK71QcalTuZfCytsDdxciJgzZ3TIO-0XRoCayMQAvD_BwE
Art gallery of Toronto

https://www.prestocard.ca/en/
Could be worth getting one of these. A card you load with money and can use it to take buses and trains and subways. Also you get charged less for transport with one of these (in Britain there's the Shell Card which is the same thing as this)

http://www.10best.com/destinations/canada/toronto/harbourfront/A
(Ill link stuff properly when I get home)
@ProgFollower on Twitter. Tweet me muzak.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2017 at 13:43
Vancouverite here, and only have been to the Toronto international airport en route to Europe, so I'm not going to be of much if any use (the latter surely) -- Toronto is about 3,400 kilometers from Vancouver as the crow flies. I've read good things about The Beguiling comic book store and there's the Merril Collection of Science Fiction, Speculation & Fantasy at a Toronto Public Library. if those two options provide too much excitement, you might consider booking some time at the Rage Room (Battle Sports). Of course there are many more touristy things to do there, but in all patheticness, when I went to London I was most excited to visit the Doctor Who store.

Edited by Logan - October 12 2017 at 13:44
Just a fanboy passin' through.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2017 at 14:04
I went to the Indycar races when Paul Tracy was still racing. Nice town, friendly enough people. I don't recall if the food was good. Sorry.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2017 at 14:24
which city in Canada is most friendly for hipsters
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2017 at 14:33
Originally posted by Icarium Icarium wrote:

which city in Canada is most friendly for hipsters

https://www.statravel.co.uk/travel-blog/2017/03/top-5-hipster-neighbourhoods-in-canada/

Gastown, Vancouver and downtown Victoria are the only two of those neighborhoods I know (and I know both very well). Calgary, Alberta, another city I know, has quite a few hipsters.

Are you a hipster?

Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2017 at 07:29
Originally posted by Magnum Vaeltaja Magnum Vaeltaja wrote:

^ I don't think many of the Canadians on the forum are Torontonians. If you ever find yourself in Vancouver, though, we got you covered! CoolThumbs Up

I'm pretty sure JD is from the GTA - maybe you could try sending him a PM?

Yeah, I'm sorry we couldn't be more help, it's a very big country. There have been a few Torontonians at the forum, but I don't know how many are still regularly active. There is not as much activity since the Captcha business.

And to badly and inanely adapt the Greeks bearing gifts saying: Beware of Norwegians bearing hips (erm, Norwegian Hipsters, I mean). Really, I know little about hipster culture and am not judging anyone. A cautionary note for when in Canada: Beware of Canadians bearing cold poutine. Its edible when warm, but not really my thing.

As a side-note, Icarium,..., as you have an interest in Seattle, if you ever make a pilgrimage there be sure to head up to Vancouver, BC (it's only about a three hour drive away if border traffic isn't bad).
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2017 at 08:09
thanks, i plan on it when i get enough payment from a job. I usualy think

what am i after to vissit in a place, im not interested in tourist atractions im more into cozy, cafés with cool consepts that has a urban touch between sway hipster and critical bohemian. like jazz culture meets Poirot...
cafés with bookshelvs, board games and wierd sour beer. I indentify myself with both bohemix and hipster-lite culture
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2017 at 16:54

what am i after to vissit in a place, im not interested in tourist atractions im more into cozy, cafés with cool consepts that has a urban touch between sway hipster and critical bohemian. like jazz culture meets Poirot...
cafés with bookshelvs, board games and wierd sour beer. I indentify myself with both bohemix and hipster-lite culture

In that case I think you'll have a great time in Toronto (and perhaps an even better one in Vancouver). As far as cafes, a quick google maps search shows (West) Queen Street and Danforth Avenue in Toronto being loaded with them. 

I don't know if you use reddit, but it may be worthwhile to ask around at /r/toronto for more specific advice, and be sure to check out some of the resources in their wiki. I've linked some of them below.

Kotro View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2017 at 03:51

Snakes & Lattes seems like the place for you!
Bigger on the inside.
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2017 at 04:49
name bands from Toronto could be a new game , i start with

Rush
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2017 at 10:34
Sorry if I've spoiled the game.

Moving the goalposts in a sense (not as an informal fallacy but shifting the focus of the topic somewhat).... If you're interested in getting to know the Toronto music scene a bit more before going there, two of the big names from Toronto are Barenaked Ladies and Blue Rodeo. Steppenwolf of "Born to be Wild" fame is from Toronto too. Our Lady Peace you might know. Kaatu and FM is another from Toronto (both included in Prog Related). And Platinum Blonde was big in the 80s.

Most importantly by my reckoning, Neil Young is from there. So for a band, if you want to turn this topic into a game thread (but you might be using hipster irony) ;) , my choice would be Neil Young & Crazy Horse.
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2017 at 11:17
yuoup, Music and urban experience sometimes go hand in hand. Also the close distance between Toronto and Detroit might have had some ilpact both ways. just like the Seattle - Vancouver conection, or Portland - Seattle - Vancouver, both in how people relate to eacother and how cultural scenes spreads to eachother cities. Michael Moore made some interesting analysis of Detroit vs Toronto in Bowling For Columbine.
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2017 at 12:47
Discipline played a show in Toronto last night.  They are playing in Montreal tonight and Quebec tomorrow night.
HemispheresOfXanadu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2017 at 19:51
The most important band during your stay will be Tragically Hip. Frontman Gord Downie died the other day and a lot of his lyrics are very... well, Canadian.
I'm not actually familiar with much besides the Tragically Hip's hits, but I wholly recommend Downie's solo album http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secret_Path for any fans of more ambient stuff

Did some Googling for Toronto bars and stuff...

For cafe's maybe try looking for stuff near the University of Toronto. More likely to be run by students and therefore more hipster-friendly. =)
There's also the city of Guelph where downtown is almost purely a university town. A friend of mine moved there recently and we walked around. Lots of places with fun names (Van Gogh's Ear, Jimmy Jazz, Frank & Stein's etc.) and super-low crime rates so you don't feel like you have to watch your back while you wander around. At best it takes around an hour and a half to get to Guelph from Toronto on public transport though and Ontario public transport is often confusing so make sure you have lots of time.
@ProgFollower on Twitter. Tweet me muzak.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>