Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Bands you liked but really started to dislike

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kingsnake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bands you liked but really started to dislike
    Posted: October 02 2017 at 04:23
I've been listening to a lot of neoprog lately, for nostalgia sake, but I found out, most bands really don't rock my boat anymore.
Mostly it's the cliches, the (mostly) terrible singing and the bad songwriting.

Some examples:

I can't stand Steve Hogarth's voice anymore. I used to love Marillion Mk II to bits, I even paid for their albums in advance, to help the, produce and distribute their music. But apart from Marillion.com and some songs on Marbles, I can't stand the music anymore. Mostly because of Hogarth's voice, but since Somewhere Else, the songwriting, I find really bad.

Another example is Sylvan, the voice annoys me. I can't listen to it anymore. The drumming and guitarplaying is like that of schoolband, no innovation at all. They want to bridge prog and pop, but almost every popband is better.

There are a lot more, that I can't listen to anymore, because they reached their expiring date: Riverside, Arena, Galahad, RPWL.
Exceptions are  Pendragon and IQ.

I wonder if it's a phase, that I will like them in the future, or that neoprog in fact is a subgenre with the least innovation possible. Also the least talented musicians seem to play neoprog. Maybe because it's the most paint-by-numbers subgenre in music.

Does anyone else have this aswell? That something that used to rock your boat, suddenly lost its appeal?

Edited by Kingsnake - March 24 2018 at 13:40
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2017 at 04:33
People's taste's can change over time and some artist's can be played to death. I haven't listened to artists like ELP, Yes, Genesis, Peter Gabriel and Tull in a rat's age and focus more on the so called "second string" or newer prog bands now. No biggie, to each his own.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Kingsnake View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kingsnake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2017 at 05:02
Yes, but I find that some bands really annoy be these days. Almost ashamed that I used to love it.
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2017 at 05:45
Porcupine Tree.

The bore me now, which is a shame because it's the only prog band my girlfriend really enjoys
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2017 at 05:55
I used to like IQ's latter day material somehow completely overlooking my gut reaction to Peter Nichols' vocals. Nowadays my gut reaction is back with a vengeance, which is a shame because I love the surrounding music - especially the drums on Frequency. Oh well. I guess he and Jon Anderson have been comparing notes lately 'No matter how wonderful the upcoming musical turnover is then be sure to keep on singing....preferably in the same manner as you always do so people can get confused as to what it is they're listening to....y'know being progressively taunting. Oh and in addition to that: all guitar and synth solos are better with vocal lines.'

I also used to love Boney M and the Grease SoundtrackEmbarrassed (while I wouldn't exactly call it love these days I still hold some warped kitschy affection for the both)
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2017 at 06:18
Marillion is my top band that I dislike now. also Arena lost my vote, and I haven't been able to get through an entire album. I liked Neal Morse solo work in the beginning, but I grew bored of his stuff as of lately.
kayd_mon View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kayd_mon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2017 at 06:21
Marillion... They're a band I want to love, but they've worn on me. Not as bad as for the OP (I liked Somewhere Else, some of Happiness Is the Road) but newer stuff is less and less interesting.

IQ is about the same for me. They have some solid stuff in the last 10 or so years, but they get less interesting.

Riverside? PT? I still enjoy them. I thought PT's The Incident was one of their weakest (as was Insurgentes), so hanging it up there might have been best.
Kingsnake View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kingsnake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2017 at 07:09
I can listen the older Porcupine Tree still.
Never been into the new stuff, so that's not a love lost.

Not like Marillion really get on my nerves.
fugazi68 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fugazi68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2017 at 07:26
Since the short Marbles songs, H has had an annoying falsetto - I found FEAR totally irritating and can't listen to it!!  He's also started to sing in a very strange accent.  Love Script to AOS and odd songs since.

With Arena it is their early stuff I'm not keen on because of the vocals - love the Rob Sowden albums especially Pepper's Ghost and 7th Degree with Paul Manzi is awesome, Unquiet Sky is just OK!!

The vocals that I hate are Dream Theater & Nightwish with Tarja, plus any band with growly vocals!
Kingsnake View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kingsnake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2017 at 07:59
Now you're just listing things you don't like.

What I originally meant is, bands you were totally into, and played to death.
I mean; I really liked Posthumous Silence by Sylvan, but I played it today and I couldn't stand it.
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mascodagama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2017 at 09:14
Originally posted by Kingsnake Kingsnake wrote:

Funny, I was just going to post that the first two prog records I bought on vinyl were Pendragon's Fly High, Fall Far EP and IQ's The Wake. Loved them at the time, but couldn't sit through them now - likewise the Marillion, Pallas and other neo albums I used to dig in the eighties.

Edited by Mascodagama - October 02 2017 at 09:16
Soldato of the Pan Head Mafia. We'll make you an offer you can't listen to.
Bandcamp Profile
omphaloskepsis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omphaloskepsis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2017 at 09:16
The Chipmunks.  Used to love their vocals, but can't stand them anymore.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2017 at 09:41
^I think that Alvin sounds better now with auto tune.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2017 at 10:41
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

Porcupine Tree.

Same here, but I left the treehouse after Signify.
Kingsnake View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kingsnake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2017 at 10:43
Originally posted by Mascodagama Mascodagama wrote:

Originally posted by Kingsnake Kingsnake wrote:

Funny, I was just going to post that the first two prog records I bought on vinyl were Pendragon's Fly High, Fall Far EP and IQ's The Wake. Loved them at the time, but couldn't sit through them now - likewise the Marillion, Pallas and other neo albums I used to dig in the eighties.

I only listen to the more modern (sophisticated) versions of these bands, IQ's Subterrannea and Pendragon's Believe and Pure (although almost 10-20 years old) really stand out.

But I agree with The Wake. I listened a lot to it. But those drums and the all that chaos. I like The Thousand Days the most from The Wake :D
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2017 at 11:17
Originally posted by Manuel Manuel wrote:

Marillion is my top band that I dislike now. also Arena lost my vote, and I haven't been able to get through an entire album. I liked Neal Morse solo work in the beginning, but I grew bored of his stuff as of lately.

Same here. I loved Arena up through The Visitor. What they did in '95-99 rocked big time. Then I got into Threshold and they more or less filled that void.

Stopped with Spock's a long time ago, as well, after Kindness. I like Morse's ?, but I don't have anything else of his.
progmatic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progmatic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2017 at 11:34
Used to love Wind & Wuthering and Trick of the Tail but because I can no longer stand to hear Phil Collins' vocals (except on Anthony Phillips 'Geese & Ghost') I have a hard time enjoying those albums anymore.
PROGMATIC
Mind_Drive View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mind_Drive Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2017 at 11:45
Well obvioulsy Dream Theater for me. They were my introduction into prog and I loved them back then but my taste has changed. 
I still like their older material musically but I cant stand Labries vocals anymore.

I'm curious how my taste will evolve though, but I'd dare to bet that my most loved bands right now will age much better than DT did for me.
It's just a ride... <3
Jeffro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeffro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2017 at 12:12
Going from like to dislike? Can't say I can name any bands/artists.

However, there are some bands I listened to quite a lot when I was younger and now rarely if ever listen to them anymore. Those would be Iron Maiden, Queensryche, and Triumph. oh sure, every now and then I still get the urge but that urge is few and farrrr between these days.
We all live in an amber subdomain, amber subdomain, amber subdomain.

My face IS a maserati
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2017 at 12:32
Guns N Roses
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>