Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Bands you liked but really started to dislike

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2017 at 08:22
If it's prog and I like it, I'm there for the duration (even if I haven't listened to it in a month of Sundays).
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2017 at 20:19
Pink Floyd....they have been overplayed on our Chicago radio stations & I can barely stand to hear "The Wall" anymore. 

I still love the early stuff, but they went downhill after "Animals" IMHO.
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
Phipz-97 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phipz-97 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2017 at 14:29
Well.. i would say there are bands that I really dislike after years of liking, the closest thing would me Marillion, but I was never a big fan of the Hogarth era aside from Brave to begin with.

But I'm noticing a trend in my personal taste, I focus more on individual albums and way less on a whole discography by a band. I used to listen to almost everything from Kansas, Gentle Giant, Toto and Rush.. but as of latetly, there a albums that I just ignore.. 

I haven't listen to Leftoverture in a while, still banging my head to Song For America, Masque and Point Of Know Return on regular basis, funny because Leftoverture was THE album which introduced me to the world of Kansas.

Same story, Octopus was my entry to Gentle Giant.. nowadays I barely listen to it, while I am playing In A Glass House to death

The early stuff of Rush was king for me while in high school, recently I find myself being focused almost solely on Permanent Waves and Moving Pictures with glimpses of Signals, Grace Under Pressure and Power Windows sprinkled in.

Toto is a different story because they aren't a prog band per se, but have albums and individual tracks which cross over to the proggy side, so it's only natural for me to focus on them and leave the poppy stuff aside. Would take Hydra and Falling In Between to a lonely island any day.

The only exception of this process is my all-time favourite band Jethro Tull, where I tend to widen my horizen, as I just recently got really into Roots To Branches while playing TaaB, Passion Play, Songs, Horses and the mighty Minstrel on a regular basis.. and A.. A need more love guys  
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2017 at 17:57
Never happens to me.
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Kingsnake View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kingsnake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2017 at 10:34
Originally posted by Phipz-97 Phipz-97 wrote:

Well.. i would say there are bands that I really dislike after years of liking, the closest thing would me Marillion, but I was never a big fan of the Hogarth era aside from Brave to begin with.

But I'm noticing a trend in my personal taste, I focus more on individual albums and way less on a whole discography by a band. I used to listen to almost everything from Kansas, Gentle Giant, Toto and Rush.. but as of latetly, there a albums that I just ignore.. 

I haven't listen to Leftoverture in a while, still banging my head to Song For America, Masque and Point Of Know Return on regular basis, funny because Leftoverture was THE album which introduced me to the world of Kansas.

Same story, Octopus was my entry to Gentle Giant.. nowadays I barely listen to it, while I am playing In A Glass House to death

The early stuff of Rush was king for me while in high school, recently I find myself being focused almost solely on Permanent Waves and Moving Pictures with glimpses of Signals, Grace Under Pressure and Power Windows sprinkled in.

Toto is a different story because they aren't a prog band per se, but have albums and individual tracks which cross over to the proggy side, so it's only natural for me to focus on them and leave the poppy stuff aside. Would take Hydra and Falling In Between to a lonely island any day.

The only exception of this process is my all-time favourite band Jethro Tull, where I tend to widen my horizen, as I just recently got really into Roots To Branches while playing TaaB, Passion Play, Songs, Horses and the mighty Minstrel on a regular basis.. and A.. A need more love guys  

This whole post, is something I could've written down :D

back when I was young, I spent billions on completing entire discographies. That was before you could instantly download everything.
A huge waste of money, because not all albums by my favorite artists I did like, but I just wanted to OWN them. Pity.

I even bought all the soloalbums of John Wetton, Jon Anderson, all the Moody Blues solo efforts etc. etc.
Now in the age of streaming music, I can just skip an album if I don't like it, and no money was spent in vain.

That being said: Camel, Saga, Jehtro Tull, Ozric Tentacles and Barclay James Harvest can do nothing wrong in my book!
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2017 at 12:57
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

Pink Floyd....they have been overplayed on our Chicago radio stations & I can barely stand to hear "The Wall" anymore. 

I still love the early stuff, but they went downhill after "Animals" IMHO.

Same here....
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Quinino View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quinino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2017 at 14:58
^ And here
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2017 at 02:45
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

Porcupine Tree.

Same here, but I left the treehouse after Signify.

Signify is probably the one PT album I can still enjoy.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2017 at 03:39
Truly, honestly - Ozric Tentacles. I knew something was up after Jon left (after recording of The Hidden Step). The magic just disappeared. Sure, the music is somewhat interesting, but being just ‘good’ ain’t cuttin’ it with me (regarding OT). I can settle for ELP’s Love Beach 10 years after it was released, it’s passable at the time I was getting into the band, but, going along with OT since the mid-90’s, their change in approach hurts. I don’t hate them, but it’s a massive let-down.
RoeDent View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoeDent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2017 at 06:49
I would question whether you truly liked the band in the first place if you grow to dislike later work of theirs, especially if they, shock horror, do something different!
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mascodagama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2017 at 07:04
Originally posted by RoeDent RoeDent wrote:

I would question whether you truly liked the band in the first place if you grow to dislike later work of theirs, especially if they, shock horror, do something different!

I don't get this at all. You could stop liking their subsequent works because the something different they are now doing isn't to your taste - does the fact that I don't like Giant For A Day really invalidate my love of Octopus, as far as you're concerned?  Equally you could dislike the later work because they just keep repeating the same approach and it gets more and more boring / less and less inspired as time goes on (too many bands to mention).
Soldato of the Pan Head Mafia. We'll make you an offer you can't listen to.
Bandcamp Profile
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2017 at 08:19

back when I was young, I spent billions on completing entire discographies. That was before you could instantly download everything.
A huge waste of money, because not all albums by my favorite artists I did like, but I just wanted to OWN them. Pity. - wrote Kingsnake

[/QUOTE] Bless your heart on 'Giant, and there was nothing wrong with rounding out your collection with all those purchase. Outside of the space needed to store them, I still get a visceral thrill unwrapping a new CD or album (downloading being very much impersonal).

Edited by Rednight - October 10 2017 at 08:20
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2017 at 09:15
Hi,

Weird ... I don't sit here and say that Beethoven's 5th suxxed rocks and the 8th was far out, and that the 9th bored me to death!

It's the same "artist" and "composer". AND, unlike us fans, THEY ARE PEOPLE and they are there, because you are not capable of putting together anything like they did.

Complaining about this and that about Marillion, PT, or Beatles, or Rolling Stones, or James Brown, is a total disrespect for the amount of work they put together that have given us all so much love and appreciation.

Grow UP! Learn to appreciate music ... for what it is ... and if you don't like it, go make your own, to see if you can stand up to these comments and still enjoy the music!

Good luck!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Bonnek View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bonnek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2017 at 09:59

I certainly tend to go through phases.

When I'm big into Kraut I tend to find some of the more melodic Prog Metal end of my catalogue to be a bit bland,
on my often day-long Tangerine Dream trips Peter Hammill can annoy me,
and don't ask me what I think of Yes when the occasional Bauhaus/Siouxsie/Sisters madness kicks in.
Now I'm knee-deep into extreme metal so don't annoy me with the new Wilson.

But to name one band or type of music that I really loved and now loathe and never listen to? No not really.

Booba Kastorsky View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Booba Kastorsky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2017 at 20:45
[QUOTE=moshkito]
Hi,
Weird ... I don't sit here and say that Beethoven's 5th suxxed rocks and the 8th was far out, and that the 9th bored me to death!
[/QUOTE
I like that part about Beethoven! LOL ClapGood point!
But why not? 5th and 9th are so popular that one can get bored listening to it too often! 
Besides, yes, we are people, and our tastes are chaining. 

I guess the entire thread is about how folks change their opinion of some bands when they grow older and develop "proggier" tastes or after string of mediocre albums of the band that they used to love.
Uriah Heep case is a good illustration, and I feel in similar way. When I was young, I loved them (well, Hensley era only), then I grew cold. I know why: 
1) I listened too much of them
2) my music tastes mutated towards more complicated and esoteric stuff
The same can be said about Deep Purple and Queen. However, I listen to their classics ones in a while and enjoy them, along with Uriah Heep.
As of examples of a string of mediocre albums that made me dislike some bands, the examples are Arena, Pain of Salvation, Dream Theater, Spock's Beard. They managed to record excellent, even great albums in the past, but then they just went down, IMHO. DT less than other, but still....
I almost added Ayreon to that list, but Arjen's last opus proved I was wrong! 
The opposite for me is Opeth that getting better and better after Mikael dropped that stupid kooki monster "vocal" Tongue Or Devin Townsend that's getting better as well. 
SO, why don't we start a thread 

Bands you dislike but really started to like?   Wink

Oh, poor Marillion... Embarrassed Funny enough, I have different experience. I didn't care of them too much, even for Fish era. I liked a few songs very much, but never entire album. Then I went to one of their Weekends in Montreal, and I was sold. Not that I began a crazy fan, but I started appreciate them much more than before. I prefer their later albums, starting from Marbles. 

YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YESESIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2017 at 21:59
Originally posted by omphaloskepsis omphaloskepsis wrote:

KISS

They were my favorite band as a kid, and I still like them now but not NEARLY as much as I did then. 
ComputerBand View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ComputerBand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2017 at 22:48
This is an interesting topic that I've never really considered, as it's very rare I grow tired of a band I initially liked. Typically the opposite happens - bands that I'm not impressed by end up growing on me (Sylvan and Amorphis being good examples). The mere exposure effect / being familiar with their general sound works wonders.

ON TOPIC, the only band in my case is Symphony X. Used to think they were great but nowadays don't find them overly impressive. They have a few great tracks, a lot of "whatever" tracks, and one cohesively good album (V).

Although, if we're talking not-prog.... well. Nickelback, 3 Doors Down, Backstreet Boys, N'Sync, Kelly Clarkson, Shinedown, more radio-hit bands I listened to in my mid-teens. I blame Rush. LOL

Edited by ComputerBand - October 17 2017 at 22:53
noni View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote noni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2017 at 01:41
Variety is the key folks!!!......  Lots of good bands out there.  Wink  I often come back to what got prog started!!  Smile
PhideauxFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PhideauxFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2017 at 05:46
The Flower Kings, Kaipa, Spock's Beard, Neal Morse and Transatlantic. Dead
belatarr View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote belatarr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2018 at 11:50
WOW! What rich and fullfilling post! Nobodies talking about bands they don't like anymore or can't stand! This is pure knowledge and genius! It's contributes so much to art, prog rock and life! Wow! I can't believe I've lived without these opinions all my life! 
Ricardo Otero Jr.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>