Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Bands you liked but really started to dislike

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 7>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProgMetaller2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2018 at 12:51
I used to really enjoy 21st Century Schizoid Man by King Crimson but I heard that track again last night and it didn't do much for me. The vocals from Greg Lake and the jazz fusion actually annoyed me 

Disapprove
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

― George Orwell, Nineteen Eighty-Four

"Ignorance and Prejudice and Fear walk Hand in Hand"- Neil Peart

iluvmarillion View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iluvmarillion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2018 at 23:53
Some disrespectful comments here about bands I absolutely love. If I played an album 400 times and now complain that it bores me to death, don't you think the fact that I played the album 400 times might have something to do with the fact that it now bores me!

And the comparison to Beethoven is a good one. Those symphonies were composed before the invention of the gramophone record. People used to buy the sheet music to the compositions and play it on their pianos (a piano transcription to a symphony was common). If you lived around Beethoven's time you would be lucky to listen to a Beethoven symphony once in your life time. Now you even get to hear symphonies during adverts on TV for just about anything. Beach Boys music has been destroyed by its association with adverts on TV. Brian Wilson slaved for 6 months creating Good Vibrations and now its just a throw away for any for any product line on TV.
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2018 at 05:15
I can still appreciate stuff I listened to 40 years ago - but  that would depend on my mood.....I have a lot of CD's in my collection so I do have a lot that I may not have spun for a decade or more - some I may never spin again - but hey, I have them there if I want to revisit them. I may even listen to "Duke" one day when a certain mood takes me into that shade of music.....You can play something to death.....but as your collection grows that is less and less likely to happen.....If you are a vinyl freak - expanding your collection is a helluva lot more expensive to do....I even have some Heep that I may revisit soon....Peace brothers!!!

Edited by M27Barney - March 26 2018 at 05:16
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2018 at 05:37
Seriously, I think Kevin Ayers went in a way distasteful direction after his Dr. Dream album. ‘Nuff said.
And The Moody Blues, after Seventh Sojourn.
Sure, they may have had the odd decent tune here and there, but I lost interest overall.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2018 at 06:30
The Flower Kings/Spock's Beard type of prog. With a few exceptions (Presto Ballet is the only band I can think of now). Last time I tried listening to Kaipa, Glass Hammer for example I got so bored, the music sounded predictable. It's not that originality is essential, but the "heard it all before" music makes me lose interest. 

Edited by Cristi - March 26 2018 at 06:31
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2018 at 12:13
Rush. They had quite the string of coherent, satisfying music from Caress of Steel to Grace Under Pressure then went drastically south, IMHO. One bright spot in the music since the aforementioned early period was Clockwork Angels, but it wasn't enough to sway me toward anything else in its era. Sad, really. I do wish I could have seen them live again before Mr. Peart quit.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
Larkstongue41 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Larkstongue41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2018 at 12:30
I don't dislike Camel but they were one of my favourite bands.... for about a week.
"Larks' tongues. Wrens' livers. Chaffinch brains. Jaguars' earlobes. Wolf nipple chips. Get 'em while they're hot. They're lovely. Dromedary pretzels, only half a denar."
MortSahlFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MortSahlFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2018 at 13:49
I never loved Camel that much, but for a short while, I was listening to all their stuff, but weeks later, I was over it. If the vocals were better, I might still be listening.. But I have been listening to the same 70s Pink Floyd for half my life!

I think for me, anything I haven't heard already is going to get a few points, just for being different, but the most accurate way I can judge a band is by the amount I listen to them.

Camel - Another Night
(I'm listening to this as I type.. I still love the main guitar riff, but it might be the lack of creativity with the phrasing and rhythm of the vocals, as well as the vocals themselves, which I think are just ok)
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Squonk19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2018 at 14:08
Thought of one, but not prog - The Eagles! Went through a phase when I liked that country rock vibe and the Greatest Hits album was always a good stand-by cassette/CD in the car. Now I can barely listen to them - and even Hotel California, Desperado and The Last Resort don't do much for me these days (over-played on too many classic rock orientated radio stations). If James Dean or New Kid in Town comes on, I'm running to the radio to press the off switch!
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2018 at 16:38
Originally posted by fugazi68 fugazi68 wrote:

Since the short Marbles songs, H has had an annoying falsetto - I found FEAR totally irritating and can't listen to it!!  He's also started to sing in a very strange accent.  Love Script to AOS and odd songs since.

With Arena it is their early stuff I'm not keen on because of the vocals - love the Rob Sowden albums especially Pepper's Ghost and 7th Degree with Paul Manzi is awesome, Unquiet Sky is just OK!!

The vocals that I hate are Dream Theater & Nightwish with Tarja, plus any band with growly vocals!

Same here. I do like DT's first three albums, and the EPs. Then I jump ship. 

I should revisit those later Arena albums. I still like the Carson/Wrightson albums best.

dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2018 at 09:23
Maybe Supertramp.....in the old days when their albums came out I liked them..for the most part...especially the earlier ones....but the last few years I have come to feel that they are ...here's that word again...overrated, and while I don't dislike them per se , I simply don't want to listen to them.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2018 at 09:42
Mastodon.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2018 at 11:31
Led Zeppelin and the Beatles

I've outgrown these two bands. I still enjoy them occasionally but the excitement is gone possibly due to over exposure. In fact for me over exposure is the biggest factor for me having a declining interest in certain bands. It doesn't really happen much with most prog however. The funny thing is I still like Pink Floyd and Rush.
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2018 at 12:15
Comes and goes

Sold my Fish discography (huge mistake indeed) many years ago thinking that I'll never listen to him again..regain interest a decade later and took me 5 five years (many out-of-print titles) to re-buy them all. I've no desire to listen to them nowadays but I'm positive the interest will surely come back in some time.

Wave after wave

Edited by Barbu - March 29 2018 at 14:02
doompaul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doompaul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2018 at 13:49
For me, it isn't as much a question of me liking the band anymore versus self inflicted saturation. Early Judas Priest is a great example. I listened to them for all of my formative years and now...well. I know every note, so there is little to gain from repeated listens. Maybe I will be able to pick it up again in 10 years.

Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, (hate to say it) Tull, Black Sabbath, later Rush all fit into this. 
irrelevant View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irrelevant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2018 at 22:44
- 95% of any metal-related music I used to listen to. Can't stand most of it these days.

- I got into King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard for a couple of weeks about a year ago before I realised how boringly earworm-y and formulaic they are. Who knows maybe I'll get into them later on.

- The Fall of Troy... Yuck. 

- Most instrumental math rock bands I've heard and that style in general. 

Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2018 at 22:51
Lost my interest to Red Hot Chili Peppers in Stadium Arcadium-album. Still love their earlier albums. Lost my interest to Rush in Hold Your Fire, got it a little back in Presto, but lost it totally in Roll the Bones. One of my friend recommend me Snakes and Arrows, I don´t say it was a bad album, but really didn´t woke my interest again. Seventies Rush is anyway still dynamite!
Prog-jester View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog-jester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2018 at 07:04

Gotta say, rock/metal music in general is not my main focus these days, but I'm really surprised Dream Theater is not mentioned more often in this thread. They were the gateway prog band for many and it's natural to lose interest in DT as you discover more interesting/original artists. Besides they were getting worse with every album after "Train Of Thought" in my book, so yeah - I listened to s/t like twice when it was streaming (never returned) and later even skipped "The Astonishing" on purpose.
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2018 at 09:23
Used to be interested in the whole female fronted symph metal (some of those bands are on PA) thing but completely lost interest and could hardly stand them if I tried now.  Other than that, can't really think of bands on which I have done such an about-face.  The reverse is more likely, that I didn't like a particular band at first and grew to like them.
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HackettFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2018 at 18:35
Gentle Giant. I liked them a long time ago. They started giving me headaches after awhile though. The brevity of their songs kind of led me to indifference too.
A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 7>