Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Bands you liked but really started to dislike

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2017 at 12:55
Kanjagooglou
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2017 at 13:07
^ 5...4...3...2...1 aaaaaaaand Tom just called a hitman in Canada
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2017 at 13:13
Hihihi!
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2017 at 14:36
Gabriel-era Genesis. Especially the album Selling England By the Pound.
The Psychomodo View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Psychomodo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2017 at 20:07
The other day I was listening to the latest album by Caligula's Horse and it occurred to me that it was so stuck in its own complexity and seriousness. So vain and not even 'progressing' anymore. I think the same goes for bands like Marillion, Spock's Beard and basically every band that has or had Mike Portnoy on drums. I used to like these bands when I discovered them years ago and they made me rediscover the old giants (Yes, Gentle Giant, Genesis). But that brought me to freer styles like Canterbury rock and krautrock. Now I find these neoprog bands so overserious. Always complaining about modern life on their heavy concept albums, always a few corny songs in-between the complex 15 minute epics. It's become a boring formula.     
Magnum Vaeltaja View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magnum Vaeltaja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2017 at 22:16
I wouldn't say that I dislike them, but one band that I really used to love but now find generally lackluster is Uriah Heep.
when i was a kid a doller was worth ten dollers - now a doller couldnt even buy you fifty cents
Kingsnake View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kingsnake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2017 at 23:17
Originally posted by The Psychomodo The Psychomodo wrote:

.....Now I find these neoprog bands so overserious. Always complaining about modern life on their heavy concept albums, always a few corny songs in-between the complex 15 minute epics. It's become a boring formula.     

Exactly. Where's the fun in making music? It's all so depressing and wannabe-intellectual.

And most neoprog-songs are eventually just poprock, but then 15 minutes long.

No wonder Marillion's best album (Clutching) features shorter songs. They realized they were a bad progband but a good popband, and then suddenly they hit big!
Mind_Drive View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mind_Drive Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2017 at 00:25

The other day I was listening to the latest album by Caligula's Horse and it occurred to me that it was so stuck in its own complexity and seriousness. So vain and not even 'progressing' anymore. I think the same goes for bands like Marillion, Spock's Beard and basically every band that has or had Mike Portnoy on drums. I used to like these bands when I discovered them years ago and they made me rediscover the old giants (Yes, Gentle Giant, Genesis). But that brought me to freer styles like Canterbury rock and krautrock. Now I find these neoprog bands so overserious. Always complaining about modern life on their heavy concept albums, always a few corny songs in-between the complex 15 minute epics. It's become a boring formula.

Interesting point! I think I generally agree..

Although the mentioning of Caligula's Horse brings me to another thing I noticed:

Many bands tend to lose their punch, get less extreme/dark/crazy as they evolve. Sometimes they shift into something I enjoy more (the Contortionist or even Opeth for example) while their older stuff was too extreme for my taste. And sometimes they become a little too uplifting and soft (like Riverside or Anathema).
I guess there is a specific (narrow) spectrum of heaviness and darkness my music has to match or else it gets less interesting for me.
It's just a ride... <3
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2017 at 06:19
My farts used to sound pretty cool back in the day. Now they sound like they follow a formula. Poor me.
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
Jeffro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeffro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2017 at 09:57
Originally posted by progaardvark progaardvark wrote:

My farts used to sound pretty cool back in the day. Now they sound like they follow a formula. Poor me.

Try different foods. You get out what you put in 
We all live in an amber subdomain, amber subdomain, amber subdomain.

My face IS a maserati
Jeffro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeffro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2017 at 09:58

Have you listened to Spock's Beard lately? They've changed quite a bit since Neal Morse was in the band. Not saying you'll like it but they certainly haven't remained bound to the same formula.
We all live in an amber subdomain, amber subdomain, amber subdomain.

My face IS a maserati
AlanB View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlanB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2017 at 12:35
I used to love Wishbone Ash, and I still love the 1970s lineups, but when they got rid of Martin Turner I went off them. Then came the Mark 1 reunion and I became interested again, then I lost track of them until I went to a few Wishbone Ash gigs in the early part of this century. I enjoyed them, even if Andy Powell's singing wasn't really true to the original WA sound. Then Martin Turner formed his own version of the band and had a run in with Andy Powell and his followers, and I found I was taking sides with Martin Turner because his vocals and basslines were such a big part of what I loved about the band. After Andy Powell took Martin Turner to court and later sl*g.ed him off big time in his autobiography, I decided I wouldn't give another penny to Mr Powell and even though he has the sole right to the name "Wishbone Ash" I don't consider it the same band anymore.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2017 at 13:45
Originally posted by Magnum Vaeltaja Magnum Vaeltaja wrote:

I wouldn't say that I dislike them, but one band that I really used to love but now find generally lackluster is Uriah Heep.

I feel the same way.....on the Heep.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hercules Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2017 at 08:25
King Crimson. Loved their first album (except Moonchild): it was so different. Went off them as soon as In the Wake of Poseidon was released and now the sight of one of their albums sends me into a apoplectic rage.

Yes. Anderson's vocals grate.

ELP. I still like some of their stuff, but Emerson is so over the top.

The rest of the bands mentioned on here: Marillion, Riverside, IQ, Arena, Heep, Ash, Genesis: they just get better and better.
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.
condor View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote condor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2017 at 09:39
Opposite; I now really notice how heavy Genesis can be...
omphaloskepsis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omphaloskepsis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2017 at 10:16
KISS
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2017 at 10:18
Barclay James Harvest. I can still find the odd good song in their oeuvre but 95% of what I once liked of them now doesn't give me much anymore.

Edited by Lewian - October 04 2017 at 10:18
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2017 at 09:15
Styx
Kingsnake View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kingsnake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2017 at 04:57
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

Barclay James Harvest. I can still find the odd good song in their oeuvre but 95% of what I once liked of them now doesn't give me much anymore.

Strange, to me it's the opposite. Since the live releases of John Lees Barclay James Harvest, I seem to be addicted to their music. Together with Saga and Camel, my most played progband.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2017 at 06:33
BJH and Blackmore's Night

I lost interest in some albums, more than bands as a whole...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>