Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Bands you liked but really started to dislike

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2018 at 22:33
^Never liked them. Tried many times. Also, progmetal (except Opeth) has never been my cup of tea.
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2018 at 01:59
Originally posted by Prog-jester Prog-jester wrote:

Gotta say, rock/metal music in general is not my main focus these days, but I'm really surprised Dream Theater is not mentioned more often in this thread. They were the gateway prog band for many and it's natural to lose interest in DT as you discover more interesting/original artists. Besides they were getting worse with every album after "Train Of Thought" in my book, so yeah - I listened to s/t like twice when it was streaming (never returned) and later even skipped "The Astonishing" on purpose.

Dream Theater showed me that I like Symphony X a million times more Tongue.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Lamneth View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lamneth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2018 at 10:18
Neal Morse
Jeffro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeffro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2018 at 11:09
The Beatles is an interesting one for me. I certainly don't dislike them but my desire to listen to their music has drastically fallen off in recent years. 

I think Incubus is the text book case for me. Such power and energy and then they mellowed out. The magic was gone. 
Jeffro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeffro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2018 at 11:11
Originally posted by Mortte Mortte wrote:

Lost my interest to Red Hot Chili Peppers in Stadium Arcadium-album. Still love their earlier albums. Lost my interest to Rush in Hold Your Fire, got it a little back in Presto, but lost it totally in Roll the Bones. One of my friend recommend me Snakes and Arrows, I don´t say it was a bad album, but really didn´t woke my interest again. Seventies Rush is anyway still dynamite!

Did you try Counterparts? I hear ya about Roll The Bones though. 
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2018 at 11:13
Clutch

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Jeffro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeffro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2018 at 11:17
Originally posted by belatarr belatarr wrote:

WOW! What rich and fullfilling post! Nobodies talking about bands they don't like anymore or can't stand! This is pure knowledge and genius! It's contributes so much to art, prog rock and life! Wow! I can't believe I've lived without these opinions all my life! 

Looks like you could take your own advice. Below is One of your posts from 2009

Originally posted by belatarr belatarr wrote:

Relax man it's just a discussion in a forum.  Anyways since your inability to discuss without getting your teenage anger on the way I'll leave the discussion as it is. 

LOL

Edited by Jeffro - May 04 2018 at 11:18
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2018 at 12:28
Originally posted by Lamneth Lamneth wrote:

Neal Morse
So you now have re-Morse (nuk, nuk, nuk)?
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
condor View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote condor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2018 at 13:19
Quite the opposite for me. The only thing I can think of is the Moody Blues.

I find it revoltingly heterosexual. Please respect my opinion
Kingsnake View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kingsnake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2018 at 02:11
I used to like the 80's output of Barclay James Harvest just as much as their 70's output.
But I discovered that I can listen to Ring of Changes, Victim of Circumstance and Face to Face anymore, although they feature the occasional great song. But as a whole the albums bore and annoy me (sad to say).

But the saddest thing, I must admit that Hogarth totally screwed up Marillion these days, but he's not the only aggressor. Ian Mosley's drumming used to inspire me but he seems sedated and nothing he does on the latest albums is worth mentioning. Also the guitarsound of Rothery these days is dreadful.
Their last great albums (for me) are Marillion.com and Marbles, but because I started to dislike Hogarth's voice these albums are even difficult to get through. I find it sad, because I don't like disliking a band.

Another band that went the way of pure boredom (according to me) is Annihilator. The only band I can think of that had 2 great starting albums and never ever topped to those albums. Maybe Jeff Waters should've tried to not do everything on his own and allow others to write and play more with the band.

Also I listened to Molly Hatchet for a few years (when I was totally into southern rock), but I find they are the deathblow that genre, only emphasizing the redneck-thing.
Another Southern Rock band that went totally the wrong way is Lynyrd Skynyrd. They where once a hippie-band and now turned into a guns-loving, right-wing, nationalist band with more countryrock than actual blues/boogie. They had some great 90's albums but the last 15 years I'm ashamed that I liked the band. Luckily I can listen to their really old stuff.
irrelevant View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irrelevant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2018 at 10:55
Originally posted by condor condor wrote:

Quite the opposite for me. The only thing I can think of is the Moody Blues.

I find it revoltingly heterosexual. Please respect my opinion

Of all the bands to find revoltingly heterosexual... 

Sorry, but I find that funny. 
ProgMetaller2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProgMetaller2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2018 at 16:44
Originally posted by Frenetic Zetetic Frenetic Zetetic wrote:

Mastodon.

Mastodon has only gotten better in my opinion

LOL
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

― George Orwell, Nineteen Eighty-Four

"Ignorance and Prejudice and Fear walk Hand in Hand"- Neil Peart

Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2018 at 18:25
Starship !! I love everything Jefferson, but when Kantner took the Jefferson with him what was left was a commercial pop-machine which ended up sounding like a watered down Def Leppard, another band which were decent early on, then all the Hysteria about Hysteria was just puke. Bloody Mutt Lange, I tell ya’
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2018 at 22:35
For me, it would have to be the remaining dregs of Yes.  From CTTE and Relayer to their present musical product is quite a plummet.  

Yes has gone from playing the largest venues in Chicago to a tiny local theater (Arcada in St. Charles) that mostly books tribute bands and, on occasion, another relic like BOC.  I'm passing on the upcoming Yes show. 

I haven't followed up on the ARW flavor of Yes, but I was never a big fan of Trevor Rabin, so I don't know that I'll find any satisfaction there either.  
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
Kingsnake View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kingsnake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2018 at 01:39
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

For me, it would have to be the remaining dregs of Yes.  From CTTE and Relayer to their present musical product is quite a plummet.  

Yes has gone from playing the largest venues in Chicago to a tiny local theater (Arcada in St. Charles) that mostly books tribute bands and, on occasion, another relic like BOC.  I'm passing on the upcoming Yes show. 

I haven't followed up on the ARW flavor of Yes, but I was never a big fan of Trevor Rabin, so I don't know that I'll find any satisfaction there either.  

Thanks to your usage of abbrevations I understand nothing of your post.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2018 at 01:42
Originally posted by Kingsnake Kingsnake wrote:

LOL

CTTE - Close to the Edge
ARW - Anderson Rabin Wakeman
BOC - Blue Oyster Cult
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mascodagama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2018 at 07:07
Quite a lot of Zappa falls into this category for me. When I was seventeen I thought stuff like Bobby Brown, Punky's Whips and Jazz Discharge Party Hats was hilarious and, you know, rad. Thirty years later it just seems peurile and tiresome. And TBH it's not just the desperate to offend stuff, I find most of his humorous lyrics got old fast.

There's still a lot of Zappa that I love and wouldn't be without, but it's probably fair to say that with the exception of early Mothers my enjoyment of a Zappa album is inversely proportional to the amount of words on it.

Edited by Mascodagama - May 07 2018 at 07:08
Soldato of the Pan Head Mafia. We'll make you an offer you can't listen to.
Bandcamp Profile
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2018 at 22:33
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Originally posted by Kingsnake Kingsnake wrote:

LOL

CTTE - Close to the Edge
ARW - Anderson Rabin Wakeman
BOC - Blue Oyster Cult

Thank you!  I thought they were self-explanatory, considering the nature of my post.
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
deafmoon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deafmoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2018 at 08:26
I can give you many, but suffice it to say for me, these 2 categories sum it all up to a garbage pile.
 1) Any band that starts platforming about social, economic, religious or political agendas. Their music can be as brilliant as Zappa was; But I just can't stomach the commentary anymore no matter how funny it may be.
2) Shred and constant time-changing instrumentals. We get it, you can play fast and you are completely in your understanding of music. But take a cue from Mozart, compose and arrange the music to float the listener. You don't need to fill every space with 32nd notes, that's just crap and a complete turn-off. 
Deafmoon
RomerilloLaMissFripp View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RomerilloLaMissFripp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2018 at 01:50
Bands that use synths -_-
I never liked them but my tolerance for them is thinning rapidly.
On the flip side, I used to dislike flutes and especially flute solos. These days I love them.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>