Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Endless Dream vs Home by the Sea

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Poll Question: Which song do you like better?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
18 [32.14%]
38 [67.86%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omphaloskepsis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2017 at 05:58
Endless Dream hands down.  
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2018 at 02:14
Creeping up the blindside, sheening up the wall; moving through the dark of night...

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Squonk19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2018 at 11:21
A rare vote for Collins-era Genesis from me. A strong late-period highlight.
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2018 at 08:06
Both are awful (except the first 90 seconds of Endless Dream.)
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twosteves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2018 at 20:42
any song with a long Banks solo is ok by me---Endless nightmare isn't my thing---that whole album is meh
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2023 at 18:23
Home by the Sea. My pants are determined to handle all this meatloaf, scrambled eggs, trash trucks, and semi-arid mountain ranges.
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2023 at 22:26
always liked Endless Dream and Talk as a whole. It's a poppy proggy affair, very nicely produced and gave the Victory music label a nice boost until ELP eventually brought it down with ITHS.

I have virtually zero interest in Genesis studio albums post Duke. I still don't own 'Genesis', IT or WCD. They all have some good tracks but mosytly don't care and the 80's ones are made worse by having the very typical plastic production style of the time which I dislike. The Way We Walk 'The Longs' does have more acceptable live versions of their best 80's and 90's stuff. Play HBTS and Domino  loud and the floor rocks! Much more fun than their anaemic studio efforts.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2023 at 23:07
^ Indeed I mostly listen to the live versions of the 80's Genesis songs, if they exist. They sound more alive, less controled, less manufactured. Specially with the drums.
Steve Wyzard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve Wyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2023 at 13:39
I voted for "Home by the Sea/Second Home by the Sea" only because I've never liked that little "televangelist" bit that Trevor Rabin throws in just because he knew he could get away with it! The rest of "Endless Dream" is flawless.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2023 at 14:56
We're prog fans so this probably doesn't mean much but the self titled Genesis album sold over 4 million copies and Talk sold maybe 200,000 (if that). Both US sales.
Frets N Worries View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frets N Worries Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2023 at 19:13
I enjoyed Genesis much more than I did TALK, and even as songs, Home by the Sea is better
Cause its only knock and know all, but I like it...

Writing (Or Suffering from Writers Block)

Working on a New Album|Bandcamp
Jared View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jared Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2023 at 02:45
HbtS for purely nostalgic reasons and I enjoy both, although I have to admit I have neither of these pieces in my collection these days...
Music has always been a matter of energy to me. On some nights I believe that a car with the needle on empty can run 50 more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio. Hunter S Thompson
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2023 at 08:56
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

We're prog fans so this probably doesn't mean much but the self titled Genesis album sold over 4 million copies and Talk sold maybe 200,000 (if that). Both US sales.

Well we know that Genesis were beginning to shift serious quantities at that time partly because of Phil Collins raised profile I imagine.

It seems that Yes and ELP between them managed to push Victory Music over the edge of the cliff in 1994.

Ouch

Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2023 at 12:26
Originally posted by Frets N Worries Frets N Worries wrote:

I enjoyed Genesis much more than I did TALK, and even as songs, Home by the Sea is better
Yup Home By the Sea is really great songwriting and a memorable tune while for me Endless Really just a unlistenable mess disguised as "prog". The Genesis song feature the most advanced and sophisticated music really. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12