Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > I Have A Question For You......?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedA question about prog-related

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2017 at 09:52
Originally posted by BarryGlibb BarryGlibb wrote:

I noticed that recently Bert Jansch has been demoted from Prog Folk to Prog-related, which is fine, as he was definitely not Prog and initially I was very grateful that he was voted onto PA but I think Prog Folk-related would actually tell the uniformed on the PA site what he actually played i.e. folk music with an edge. So I am all for this type of classification...then maybe the likes of John Renbourn, Richard Thompson, etc could be included.
Clap
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2017 at 11:50
Yes...it amazes me that Jansch is here and not Renbourn, Thompson, and even Nick Drake.
 Often no consistency to the inclusions within a category...imho.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Quinino View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2017 at 13:58
I questioned the team about Renbourn sometime ago - really don't know if he was rejected or simply lost from memory Disapprove
Guests View Drop Down
Forum Guest Group
Forum Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2017 at 14:06
^Not forgotten, Renbourn is still being checked out for prog-related.
Quinino View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2017 at 14:16
OK, glad our little village is (trying) taking care of its refugees Approve
axeman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2017 at 19:43
I think the rules of prog-related would be more straightforward if they added the bullet point "But not Phil Collins".  "He is anathema," could follow but that would be PA's choice. 
-John
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2017 at 20:23
There are clear deviations from the ProgRelated guidelines ~ that bands added must include musicians who were significant or connected to prog rock ~ Metallica and Iron Maiden to name two, who though pioneers in prog-metal had absolutely no direct personal connection to prog rock.   Whereas before Bon Scott joined AC/DC, he fronted a very prog band called Fraternity.   But if taken word-for-word, the PA policy dictates AC/DC should be in ProgRelated because their singer significantly contributed to the early Art/Prog scene.   You see the inevitable problem, and it undoubtedly causes confusion.  

There are also artists who may in hindsight deserve to be on PA, but don't have a clear place since it is not a general Rock or progressive music site: John Lennon and Brian Wilson are two who come to mind who would fall into the infamous "Related to Prog Related" column.

It may help to keep in mind the motivation for creating a ProgRelated category; PR is not a genre or style of music.   It seeks to acknowledge the artists in rock history that contributed to and/or whose members were markedly influenced by the Art Rock/Prog Rock movement, a group of players who were finite and small in scope (if quite common during prog's peak years).   It was not devised as place to deposit any artist that may be deemed near-progressive, para-progressive, or post-progressive.   It is not an animate, evolving subgenre of music and should not be treated as such.  

As for Phil Collins, I suspect it is as much a lack of political will as it is whether he is Prog Related according to PA guidelines--  He clearly is, after practically leading two of the most important rock bands of his time, and his solo albums are obviously admissible here as a Related artist.   The rule demands it and I think someday he will probably be added, I just don't think anyone wants to review his records.

Edited by Atavachron - October 31 2017 at 23:26
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
peregrino View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2017 at 17:48
In my humble opinion, the prog related label is reserved to those musicians and bands who either had prog artists in their lineup, but don't necessarily play "prog", or bands who were among the "usual" rock bands initially but ended up influencing a lot of prog musicians. Kind of like proto prog, considering the latter one. As years go by, I'd wager we're going to see more new wave, indie rock and post rock bands added to the archives under that particular notion, even though post and math rock have their own category, which, btw, is not something I approve of (Discipline is not the same as Islands).
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234