Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Help us improve the site
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSpecial reviewers age needs to be included.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Special reviewers age needs to be included.
    Posted: October 07 2017 at 19:17
The site currently asks for birth date for members....but that is too personal...given the damage done by putting putting personal info out in public....but I can't help want to have the historical significance of the reviewers opinions  to judge reviewers contributions in the proper context. Age does - without argument -  matter when evaluating the reviewers stand point. I am suggesting age be a requisite factor that must be given up in joining PA for special reviewers. 

It's ok to be anonymous...and still contribute...but the persons who dominate the reviews for artists should reveal more about their background...than being totally anonymous out side of shear quantity of contributions. After all, age does not determine quality any more than quantity.

Think about it

Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2017 at 20:38
45, but nobody special
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2017 at 23:38
This should be in the 'Help us improve the Site' subforum.

I hear what you're saying but I think you'd get a lot of blowback.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Windhawk View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2017 at 00:11
My age isn't a secret. I will be 46 before this year ends.
Websites I work with:

http://www.progressor.net
http://www.houseofprog.com

My profile on Mixcloud:
https://www.mixcloud.com/haukevind/
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2017 at 00:18
I don't really see the relevance. One can be an ignoramous at fifty or insightful at eighteen. The content of the review is what matters.
Soldato of the Pan Head Mafia. We'll make you an offer you can't listen to.
Bandcamp Profile
Kepler62 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2017 at 01:59
I have tried my hand at a handful of reviews. But  what's the point of giving Close To The Edge it's kazzilionth review.  personally at this point I think I know as much as I have to know about that album. I occasionally read or scan  some of the reviews if I have the time and don't see much difference between the "experts " or just someone who is just a "member". What qualifies someone as an "expert" in music? Anyone can write anything on the internet really. I guess you could call someone such as Chis Welch an "expert " but he is a trained journalist. He's even published books about artists from Led Zeppelin to Tina Turner. He even "interviewed " Gentle Giant. I'm sure some people here probably have never heard of Chris Welch but if you lived through the seventies he was everywhere. A person's age is not their fault but I think certain music belongs to an era and it helps to have lived through that period in time to really understand the impact certain music had relative to the times.

Edited by Kepler62 - October 08 2017 at 03:11
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2017 at 02:53
for the PA progreviewers, there is a way to describe his background in their profile page

I like the idea, but I don't believe it will be enougn to give the age, because it won't tell you at what age you discovered the album you're publishing the review of. Being 54, it's obvious that I can't have discovered Anglagard's Hybris (released 92) at age 18, but I could've discovered two months ago.

Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2017 at 03:38
Originally posted by Mascodagama Mascodagama wrote:

I don't really see the relevance. One can be an ignoramous at fifty or insightful at eighteen. The content of the review is what matters.

Indeed.

Anyway we have far more troubling issues at hand as it is.

Edited by Guldbamsen - October 08 2017 at 03:45
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2017 at 07:04
Originally posted by Mascodagama Mascodagama wrote:

Neither do I. I am neither an avid (11 reviews) nor a good reviewer. But if I ever write another review, I'll try to incorporate my age (now 60 years minus 100 weeks - this nice beaver won't see a leap day before reaching that noteworthy age) nevertheless Wink.

@OP: Nice you're posting here anyway Smile. I like to see low-frequency long time PA members popping up now and then.

Edited by someone_else - October 08 2017 at 07:05
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2017 at 11:55
More than 40.......Less than 80

convocation View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2017 at 13:00
I hope you're kidding.

Anyway, the discussion might have splintered a bit.

Age by itself has no bearing on the quality of reviews. Limits on age are basically common sense: you should to write in clear & succinct English. This does challenge some of our non-English native speakers/writers.....so I don't want to be construed as trying to exclude people....but then again posts are already edited...yes?

However,  one suggestion was to include at what age a special reviewer first discovered a particular track or artist. Also, it took me some not insignificant time to feel satisfied with a review before I posted....the age you write/post also does indeed have some bearing....just by the fact that our prose, observations, and perspective change in time.   I hope for the better, but in reality not always I suppose.

I'm 62.
Quinino View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2017 at 14:19
I would more easily get some clues about taste from knowing the facial hairstyle of the reviewer: close-shave, goatee, moustache, full beard, you name it... Ermm
But then again that would be getting too personal, wouldn't it (I use a 10-day stubble, btw, how can you get cooler than that Cool )

Edited by Quinino - October 08 2017 at 14:20
BarryGlibb View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2017 at 02:49
It's not so much the age of the reviewer, but how many times has the reviewer actually listened to the album. I don't review much these days, but when I have, I had a rule that I must listen to the album at least a dozen times.

If for instance I had reviewed A Passion Play after 6 listens; I would have given it 2 stars...after a dozen listens it went to 4 stars; after 20 listens it went to 5 stars.

So maybe there should be a section in the review where you can put how many times you have listened to the album rather than worrying about how old the person is.

Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2017 at 03:14
^ Well, anyone can give that info in the body of their review if they want. If you make it a mandatory section reviewers who are hell-bent on praising or damning an album will just lie anyway. I figure that most who are filled with the zeal to write without having taken time to absorb the music either thinks it's the BEST or WORST ABLUM EVAR.

Edited by Mascodagama - October 10 2017 at 03:15
Bandcamp Profile
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2017 at 03:31
I could spin an album of a certain artist, say, twice, claim to have heard dozens of times, and no-one would know any different. Age doesn’t matter, how many times you listen to an album doesn’t matter. Somebody who has heard DSOTM a million times could say - “ Man, Pink Floyd are cool, they use synths and planes and all sorts of trippy sh*t. The album is awesome “. Means jack-sh*t. Take reviews at face-value, if you resonate with one, good luck to you. I was never good at it.............
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2017 at 05:20
I think it is silly to introduce parametres to reviews that no one ever will be able to confirm the validity of.

I am 87 and my favourite colour is pink.

The above statement is 75% wrong but you have no way of checking whether I'm lying or not.

Read the review - any review - and then read another by the same author. It doesn't take an advanced linguist or English literature professor to unravel what kind of a writer we're dealing with.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2017 at 07:09
Is it hypothetically because if Johnny Reviewer hates an album, like for instance Jethro Tull's `Thick as a Brick', he must clearly then be a snarky kid too young to appreciate what apparently is a masterpiece?
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2017 at 07:13
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

I think it is silly to introduce parametres to reviews that no one ever will be able to confirm the validity of.

I am 87 and my favourite colour is pink.

The above statement is 75% wrong but you have no way of checking whether I'm lying or not.

Read the review - any review - and then read another by the same author. It doesn't take an advanced linguist or English literature professor to unravel what kind of a writer we're dealing with.

Agreed.

Over time, one also gets a feel for which reviewers have similar tastes to their own and those that don't.
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2017 at 07:46
What if one transcends time by existing in the astral planes and only beams reviews onto the site therefore having no true age? Wacko

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2017 at 07:49
Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

What if one transcends time by existing in the astral planes and only beams reviews onto the site therefore having no true age? Wacko

Jon doesn't write reviews here as far as I know.
Bandcamp Profile
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>