Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - 2000's albums by 70's&80's Artist you Should Own..
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed2000's albums by 70's&80's Artist you Should Own..

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2017 at 03:25
As i am on a mission with Serge Fiori, former lead singer of french canadian band Harmonium, i try to find any place on this forum where i can bring the news so here is an d edit of another post i did on a different post. It could interest quite a few of you and  goes like this:

You may know that, after a third record, Harmonium the Quebecois pastoral prog group disbanded. Some, still  more informed, have heard that it was mainly caused by mental fragility of their charismatic leader, Serge Fiori. Recently he has publicly discussed the fact that a specific drug experience had caused a still damaging kind of paranoia which to this day,  prevent him to come back on stage. Very sad story indeed. After a duo, and a solo album, less and less interesting ones, that was it for him. Years of inner errance, ashrams, meditations had led him to a kind of peacefullness. Now here is the great news.

In 2014, having in his mind sufficiently recover,with  a bunch of songs about his inner experiences, mortality or illness of his parents, overall matters of an aging life, and helped by one Marc Perusse, a musician / producer responsible of some of the best pop/ crossover quebecois records of the last twenty years, he just came back with a solo album simply titled "Serge Fiori". If some of you think Harmonium doesn't qualify as prog', then forget any chance that "... Fiori" will get here anytime soon. Which is a shame in due respect to the administrators. That's why i'm posting this as this seems the only way to duly inform those that can't get enough of the Harmonium sound. 

Because while "Fiori" is not prog at all, it still has all the ingredients that made Serge's music great. First song ,"Le Monde Est Virtuel" is a tribute to the classic Harmonium sound, acoustic guitars, that typical line of bass, more in line with the first record, or the happier, upbeat moments of "Les cinq saisons". Then the fifth song is simply a gift of heart: Serge duets with Monique Fauteux, member of the third incarnation of the band; on "L'Heptade" that's her who is featured on "Le Corridor", apart of all her work as back vocalist all along the record. The song, entitled "Jamais", is simply gorgeous, shivers gauranteed. "Seule" adress his mother's alzheimer in such a sensible and moving way, you are bound to endless tears. Same goes for "Laisse moi partir" (let me go), about his father death. All very sad matters but in true Fiori's fashion, hope is there and the best is kept for the end: "Si bien" (so fine) and his coda "Epilogue" close the record in true uplifting fashion.

And how is his singing will you ask? Because true Harmonium lovers mainly enjoyed Fiori's vocal charisma. One of the nicest, most moving voice in prog or any genre for that matter. To the point that many of you, english speaking, don't give a damn about not understanding the lyrics, not even mentioning that there's always much wordless vocalising in Fiori's music. Here's the true magic: he hasn't lost anything! As an aging sixtygoer, think Peter Gabriel, his voice had lowered a bit, his comfort zone has narrowed, but he still can nail any of the falsetto pitch he tries. And the converted know how much it is part of the most beautiful aspect of his music.
This is a must ear for all those who gave the five stars thumb'up to "Les Cinq saisons, or l'Heptade.
Now more than 40 years of prog listening and still movin'
45 years of prog listening and still movin'
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2017 at 07:10
Univers Zero - Clivages
Present - Barbaro (Ma Non Troppo)
Magma's K.A. and Ėmėhntėhtt-Ré
Vezhlivy Otkaz - Guis-Lebedi
VdGG's A Grounding in Numbers
Thinking Plague - Decline & Fall, Hoping Against Hope
Mike Oldfield - Return To Ommadawn
King Crimson - The Power To Believe
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2017 at 21:21
Originally posted by bertolino bertolino wrote:

As i am on a mission with Serge Fiori, former lead singer of french canadian band Harmonium, i try to find any place on this forum where i can bring the news so here is an d edit of another post i did on a different post. It could interest quite a few of you and  goes like this:

<table ="tableBorder" align="center" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="3" style="width: 1487.2px; color: rgb0, 0, 0; font-size: 13px; table-layout: fixed;"><t><tr ="msgableRow" style="height: 200px; min-height: 200px;"><td valign="top" ="msgLineDevider"><div ="msg" style="width: 1334.4px;">

You may know that, after a third record, Harmonium the Quebecois pastoral prog group disbanded. Some, still  more informed, have heard that it was mainly caused by mental fragility of their charismatic leader, Serge Fiori. Recently he has publicly discussed the fact that a specific drug experience had caused a still damaging kind of paranoia which to this day,  prevent him to come back on stage. Very sad story indeed. After a duo, and a solo album, less and less interesting ones, that was it for him. Years of inner errance, ashrams, meditations had led him to a kind of peacefullness. Now here is the great news.

In 2014, having in his mind sufficiently recover,with  a bunch of songs about his inner experiences, mortality or illness of his parents, overall matters of an aging life, and helped by one Marc Perusse, a musician / producer responsible of some of the best pop/ crossover quebecois records of the last twenty years, he just came back with a solo album simply titled "Serge Fiori". If some of you think Harmonium doesn't qualify as prog', then forget any chance that "... Fiori" will get here anytime soon. Which is a shame in due respect to the administrators. That's why i'm posting this as this seems the only way to duly inform those that can't get enough of the Harmonium sound. 

Because while "Fiori" is not prog at all, it still has all the ingredients that made Serge's music great. First song ,"Le Monde Est Virtuel" is a tribute to the classic Harmonium sound, acoustic guitars, that typical line of bass, more in line with the first record, or the happier, upbeat moments of "Les cinq saisons". Then the fifth song is simply a gift of heart: Serge duets with Monique Fauteux, member of the third incarnation of the band; on "L'Heptade" that's her who is featured on "Le Corridor", apart of all her work as back vocalist all along the record. The song, entitled "Jamais", is simply gorgeous, shivers gauranteed. "Seule" adress his mother's alzheimer in such a sensible and moving way, you are bound to endless tears. Same goes for "Laisse moi partir" (let me go), about his father death. All very sad matters but in true Fiori's fashion, hope is there and the best is kept for the end: "Si bien" (so fine) and his coda "Epilogue" close the record in true uplifting fashion.

And how is his singing will you ask? Because true Harmonium lovers mainly enjoyed Fiori's vocal charisma. One of the nicest, most moving voice in prog or any genre for that matter. To the point that many of you, english speaking, don't give a damn about not understanding the lyrics, not even mentioning that there's always much wordless vocalising in Fiori's music. Here's the true magic: he hasn't lost anything! As an aging sixtygoer, think Peter Gabriel, his voice had lowered a bit, his comfort zone has narrowed, but he still can nail any of the falsetto pitch he tries. And the converted know how much it is part of the most beautiful aspect of his music.
This is a must ear for all those who gave the five stars thumb'up to "Les Cinq saisons, or l'Heptade.
</td></tr><tr ="msgableRow"><td ="msgLineDevider"><div ="msgSignature" style="width: 1334.4px;">Now more than 40 years of prog listening and still movin'</td></tr></t></table>

This sounds like something worth checking out indeed. It sounds like it might have more in common with their first album than the next two, if it is less proggy and more song based.
bertolino View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2017 at 02:05
In a way you're very right Dellinger ; with much better production values quite evidently, and probably with that "prog music is a long gone genre akinded to the seventies"  attitude. So no solos or epics like "L'Heptade" , much more the folk pop facture of the self titled first one. Main difference would be the self awareness provided by a long and tortured life... Don't know how to put it but it's apparent in the music as much as in the lyrics that many of your readers won't catch... Few upbeat tunes but the dominant feeling is one of melancholy. Which is the main value for the "Les cinq saisons" lovers. My motivation in bringing the news, at the end, goes toward those who made of "Les cinq saisons" such a much loved record on this site. 

Thanks for your reaction, it makes my initial post living... Last comment; there is a second entry for Serge Fiori, apart of Harmonium, being Fiori / Seguin. If this one had been put under the "Serge Fiori" solo category (there is another album which don't figure on this site; this one entitled "Fiori", - now he seems to go for that Gabriel thing as long as titles are involved!, truly not a "chef d'oeuvre" but still interesting in that it features mostly Harmonium musicians), it would be much easier to spread the news. Many non prog albums are featured here, by the only fact that some artists were ONCE prog, and turned for something else.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2017 at 07:49
Originally posted by Larkstongue41 Larkstongue41 wrote:

Robert Wyatt - Comicopera
Kate Bush - Aerial

I actually like "50 Words for Snow" even more by Kate ... the album is incredible and its compositional style is insanely amazing in that it rarely converts to a "song" format ... she just keeps going and going ... and does not stop, and you get the feeling that many of the pieces in the album could continue for a lot longer ... and some things in this album are amazing ... Steve Gadd's touch with his drums in a couple of pieces are an amazing lesson on how to NOT DRUM in a piece that does not need it ... it's just all touch, and you never get the "mechanical" rock feeling out of it ... and that is an incredible thing to do and see done, and not many folks can do this as well, as Kate did in that album. It is, by far, her most "progressive" album!

RW is different and way better than he was before, however, one thing is very alive now, that you had originally thought was just a joke ... RW is by far the biggest kid on the block having fun with music ... and that fun is contagious!

Edited by moshkito - December 04 2017 at 07:51
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
bertolino View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2017 at 08:10
As a far as i went on a different direction on this post, l can't agree more with what is just being said here about Kate Bush and Robert Wyatt. I love immensely both Aeryal and 50 words... not forgetting that all the second side of Aeryal is one long song cycle; and what about her Before the dawn live album? If an artist has to do one live album in his/ her life this how it should be done.

As for Robert Wyatt , i suppose that it's down to the fact that Robert Wyatt IS Robert Wyatt as simple as this. Constant reinvention within a same framework.

As a little addition , maybe not a record who will turn the prog world upside down, but the new Acqua Fragile, after more than 40 years is a nice little ditty...
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2017 at 08:52
must-own or essential studio albums??? Basically none...Stern Smile

A lot of the better surviving 70's bands still put out worthy albums, but IMHO, none that are essential or must-own (you'll survive if you don't)Evil SmileLOL    UZ, AZ, Present, Gong, Crimson or VdGG all have good (even worthy- albums in the 00's & 10's, but none come to the heels of their 70's stuff

Roger Waters' latest Is This Really... might be better than his previous solo stuff (but not Floyd), even bettering ATD (from 92) and it's certainly not the case of Gilmour. 
Crimson came close with Thrak in 96, but the next ones are just OK 
Wyatt came very close with Shleep (98), but not with his next two.
UZ did do something excellent, but it was sort out of character with Implosion in 04, but went back to its blueprint soundscapes afterwards.
VdGG's best IMHO is Trisector, (better than some classic 70's albums), but essential??  
Santana's IV was pretty good, but I'd say Shape Shifter was even better... are either essential or must-own, though?
Fiori is good, but doesn't equal any of the 3 70's albums.

Edited by Sean Trane - December 05 2017 at 08:52
bertolino View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2017 at 09:07
Still in crossfire with mr Chantraine!

Total agreement with Roger Waters, as long as one give him the right to quote some Floyd...

I'd let Vdgg with Still life though

As a mellower prog afficionado, my pick is "Scarcity of miracles" but in this case it's down to Mel Collins return

Nice to comment about Fiori as i'm like mentioned earlier on a mission with this one (just look at my new alias) but it IS NOT for his musical value, or prog ratio much even less. So totally in tune with your remark. But if we go for matters of the heart, spiritual values, social impact, and redemption, this may come huge for some quebecois of which i am.

HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2017 at 11:42
Jade Warrior's album, Now, was really quite nice. There was supposed to be another in the works for several years now, but has never actually come out to my knowledge.
A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2017 at 11:47
Oh, and more of an 80s artist, Henry Kaiser, has put out gobs of stuff. I especially like Invisible Rays, which he did with Trey Gunn and Morgen Ågren.
A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)
bertolino View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2017 at 11:54
Originally posted by HackettFan HackettFan wrote:

Jade Warrior's album, Now, was really quite nice. There was supposed to be another in the works for several years now, but has never actually come out to my knowledge.

Totally agree, if one doesn't keep in mind the Island era instrumental foursome. It marks the return of the founding member and vocalist. A nice one.
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2017 at 12:53
Originally posted by HackettFan HackettFan wrote:

Oh, and more of an 80s artist, Henry Kaiser, has put out gobs of stuff. I especially like Invisible Rays, which he did with Trey Gunn and Morgen Ågren.

That's a beast of an album.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12