FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedYour pastimes other than music

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2017 at 11:14
Good to see another Mindfulness practitioner.   It's important to me although I too don't practice it enough. Rather than a twenty or thirty mindfulness meditation session every day, I practice Mindfulness in small ways throughout the day (a few minutes focusing on my breathing, focusing my awareness on a warm cup of coffee for a minute, or on the road, and that which relates to it, when I'm driving which has the potential to save some lives. It's great for clarity and relaxation, and very good for dealing with obsessive thoughts I find. And I would enjoy your DVD collection.

Just saw this article: 'MINDFULNESS' IS A MEANINGLESS WORD WITH SHODDY SCIENCE BEHIND IT http://www.newsweek.com/mindfulness-meaningless-word-shoddy-science-behind-it-682008

I know there's an illusory, and placebo-like, effect to it, but I still find it useful. Still, it gives me an excuse to slack off from it for a while.

Also nice to see Snooker mentioned, that's one of my favourite activities (plus badminton and tennis).

Various lovely posts here, two that sounded a little too warm and gooey, and Lazland's really made me feel warm and fuzzy (if a little envious to be honest -- must meditate now!). :)

Dr Wu, I'd be interested if you could shoot me a link or two (by PM if you want) to those ufos and the paranormal forums. The truth is out there.

Edited by Logan - October 13 2017 at 13:02
Just a fanboy passin' through.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2017 at 13:21
^Nice post Greg! I don't feel that mindfulness is a sham. We spend far too much time focusing on where we going and reviewing the past, that many miss the present. I don't meditate or do breathing exercises. I just try to enjoy the present moment and appreciate it. I believe that listening to music or playing music accomplishes much of the same thing. You have to be in the moment to enjoy music. Not looking to the next paycheck, worrying about bills and fretting about something in the past. Music puts a person totally in the moment, if he, or she, can let it.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Quinino View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2017 at 15:15
At last, someone mentioning badminton made me post this - one of the sports I enjoy practicing with my youngest, the others being court and table tennis.
On my own, apart from reading and obviously listening to music, I use to go birdwatching by myself or with organized field trips.
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2017 at 15:33
i like going to the cinema, like the experience of anticepation of something you gVe sought particurlarly for yourbown satisfaction.
mlkpad14 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2017 at 16:55
Originally posted by condor condor wrote:

Poetry, abstract art, acapella music, chess

Chess - yes, me too!
https://gamecrazyprofessional.weebly.com/
mlkpad14 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2017 at 17:00
Originally posted by mlkpad14 mlkpad14 wrote:

Originally posted by condor condor wrote:

Poetry, abstract art, acapella music, chess

Chess - yes, me too!

I also like playing guitar, listening to all different types of music, swimming, working out, mathematics, reading, writing, biking, and traveling. If I had more time on my hands, I would probably learn to appreciate abstract art and artistic films, too. I would probably get into mindfulness and philosophy.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2017 at 15:49
Regarding 'mindfulness' practices.....for many years from 1974-1990 I did some Zen bench sitting and Vipassana style breathing/ meditation. Found them both relaxing but eventually gave them up....not sure why.

I haven't read any eastern spiritual books either for a long time....probably could use some centering in my life....I'm getting older and sometimes things trouble me when it comes to family issues ,etc.

One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
TGM: Orb View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2017 at 16:11
I play chess for a local club, which is probably the most social thing I do these days. I used to write poetry, run gigs and perform a fair bit. Probably should do something of the kind again one of these days. I read a bit, though not as much as I'd like - Waugh and Eliot are particular obsessions. Big fan of westerns regardless of quality. Waste far too much time on videogames I am ambivalent about. Cooking is halfway between necessity and hobby but I get a lot of pleasure out of it.

Edited by TGM: Orb - October 14 2017 at 16:14
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2017 at 16:33
Casual sex with farm animals.
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2017 at 02:10
A lot of reading (Jean and I love lying side by side sharing a book between us), practicing yoga, playing tennis, visiting all kinds of museums and galleries, theater, writing (poems and a novel I am working on), traveling.

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
twseel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2017 at 03:37
Let's see, I play futsal, quite a bit of darts at home recently, I play chess with friends, I take drumming lessons, I like making ridiculously long walks through the city here, just setting out to go to a shop that's 45 minutes away and carrying back a bag that's so full it almost tears  so that my shoulders hurt when I get home and it sort of feels like I've had a workout, I like going to thrift shops and cheap antique shops to fill my room with way too much random dirt-cheap stuff, I read some fiction but mostly non-fiction(history, philosophy, science and comedy), watch some documentary, lifestyle and game shows, way too much Youtube sh*t, I make collages sometimes and to be redundantly honest I waste a fair bit of time smoking weed and yes, masturbating...
Richey Edwards View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2017 at 04:43
I like writing poems as well.
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2017 at 04:49
Originally posted by twseel twseel wrote:

Let's see, I play futsal, quite a bit of darts at home recently, I play chess with friends, I take drumming lessons, I like making ridiculously long walks through the city here, just setting out to go to a shop that's 45 minutes away and carrying back a bag that's so full it almost tears  so that my shoulders hurt when I get home and it sort of feels like I've had a workout, I like going to thrift shops and cheap antique shops to fill my room with way too much random dirt-cheap stuff, I read some fiction but mostly non-fiction(history, philosophy, science and comedy), watch some documentary, lifestyle and game shows, way too much Youtube sh*t, I make collages sometimes and to be redundantly honest I waste a fair bit of time smoking weed and yes, masturbating...
to litle of time and to many demands , and yet so many ordeals and stuff. how to fitt lore stuff in to the shortage of time is a thing to ponder on.
I like watchig movies, think about stuff to read and never able to read it. I like to connect whatever i do into one big theory. why do i have this taste in stuff. What to make of it, it can be confusing. I like to create hypothesis and do so all the time.
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2017 at 09:42
I forgot to mention playing and watching the card game bridge. Many national and international tournaments are broadcast online on BBO (BridgeBase Online).

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2017 at 09:47
Originally posted by Barbu Barbu wrote:

So that's YOU on this album cover!!!!

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
Quinino View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2017 at 09:59
I forgot bridge, too, because these days I don't have the chance to play as I used to.

And didn't mention old furniture (mostly wooden) salvaging and repairing - this afternoon I finished one small project, last weekend I had another one and next weekend plan to finish painting an old safe box (for a nice Christmas gift)
mlkpad14 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2017 at 12:41
Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

Originally posted by Barbu Barbu wrote:

So that's YOU on this album cover!!!!

This is why I love NOFX!
Vompatti View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2017 at 12:57
Sex with farm animals makes me want to rewatch Borowczyk films.
twseel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2017 at 13:23
Originally posted by Icarium Icarium wrote:

to litle of time and to many demands , and yet so many ordeals and stuff. how to fitt lore stuff in to the shortage of time is a thing to ponder on.
I like watchig movies, think about stuff to read and never able to read it. I like to connect whatever i do into one big theory. why do i have this taste in stuff. What to make of it, it can be confusing. I like to create hypothesis and do so all the time.
It definitely would be nice to be able to see the meaning of all your activities as a whole as a sort of refllection of your identity, but looking at it that way a lot of those activities don't seem to make much sense...
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2017 at 14:31

Originally posted by Icarium Icarium wrote:

It definitely would be nice to be able to see the meaning of all your activities as a whole as a sort of refllection of your identity, but looking at it that way a lot of those activities don't seem to make much sense...
both Descartes, Kant and Nietzche attempted it
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>