Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedIs it just me?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Is it just me?
    Posted: October 13 2017 at 16:49
Or is Fragile infinitely more inventive and dramatic than CTTE?

Also, why is quality the ultimate value when comparing albums? Fragile isn't as good, but is miles more interesting.
mlkpad14 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2017 at 17:08
Personally, I have never been too big on Fragile. CTTE is way more experimental and interesting in my opinion. It is fun to listen to whenever I am in the mood for it.

Quality is not the ultimate value when comparing albums. The whole entire avant-garde and experimental movements favor the "interesting" ones way more. The other day I heard the post-rock album Spiderland (by Slint), for the very first time. That album was so interesting, and I definitely was not paying attention to its quality the first time I listened to it. Later on, I realized just how good the quality was as well, but well, that was besides the point.

That being said, quality has to be there. It would be irritating if musicians decided to record drums through the "voice recording" option on GarageBand (it produces a very scratchy sound that does not exactly resonate with the ear.)
https://gamecrazyprofessional.weebly.com/
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2017 at 17:15
While CttE is more polished and perfect, flows amazingly well, I have always felt way more connected to Fragile. The individuals, all, shine so well on all of the songs, not just the "solo" compositions. And there are many more "peak" moments on Fragile than on CttE (though there are also more lows). I have always rated and favored Fragile more highly.
Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2017 at 18:01
CttE...well, I've never been a fan of Siberian Khatru so that's always kept it from being a 5 star equal to Tales & Relayer for me.  As far as Fragile goes, I think the solo pieces drag it down a bit and sound somehow out of place, so it's never been my fave Yes album either.

If only Khatru were on Fragile and Heart of the Sunrise were on CttE LOL
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2017 at 19:38
I think both albums are quite different, but equally good an important. Fragile was first, and was the last step before the most creative, classic, progressive period of yes' music. CTTE was the first full album of that period, and it was an amazing era not only for Yes, but for progressive music in general, but without Fragile taking them into that direction, it would have never happened. 
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2017 at 19:58
Big Generator blows the both of their asses out of the water. LOVE WILL FIND AWAY rules!!!!

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
stegor View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2017 at 21:16
Is it just me or is The Yes Album better than either one? It shouldn't be. There's no Wakeman or Roger Dean. In fact the cover is pretty lame. But it was the first one I heard and it occupies that same sweet spot in my memory as Aqualung and Dark Side.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2017 at 22:54
Originally posted by BrufordFreak BrufordFreak wrote:

While CttE is more polished and perfect, flows amazingly well, I have always felt way more connected to Fragile. The individuals, all, shine so well on all of the songs, not just the "solo" compositions. And there are many more "peak" moments on Fragile than on CttE (though there are also more lows). I have always rated and favored Fragile more highly.
Pretty much sums up how I would’ve put it
Frankh View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2017 at 23:48
Originally posted by stegor stegor wrote:

Is it just me or is The Yes Album better than either one? It shouldn't be. There's no Wakeman or Roger Dean. In fact the cover is pretty lame. But it was the first one I heard and it occupies that same sweet spot in my memory as Aqualung and Dark Side.

The Yes Album ends up almost being their mission statement.

There's a palpable purity of purpose there that may never have appeared as intensely again.

Also, Fragile may be more interesting, yes. Less passionate!
Not that it was sans passion: Heart Of The Sunrise.

And also not that Close To The Edge was entirely lacking technically interesting material: The Solid Time Of Change, essentially a structured jam managed to be both passionate and challenging to the listener.

Do not sell Siberian Khatru short. Not just a rocker, "the" actual rocker on the album; the continuous morphing of the song from one place to another, one thing to another is something Yes tried to do many times in the course of their career(s) with varied but seldom as great success. This gives it the gravitas somehow to be a grand classic album's suitable and worthy conclusion.

Edited by Frankh - October 14 2017 at 00:04
Zeptember View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2017 at 04:39
Well we ended up with 

Topographic Drama - Live Across America Unhappy

dwill123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2017 at 08:37
If it were "The Yes Album" and not "Fragile" you were talking about then I'd think you would have more of a discussable argument.  But "Fragile" vs CTTE then CTTE wins on all categories imo.
Vompatti View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2017 at 09:35
The group tracks on Fragile are as good as or better than anything on CttE, but the solo stuff is decent filler at best.
TGM: Orb View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2017 at 16:24
Without the jarring reprise of Jon Anderson's awful drivel at the end of Heart of the Sunrise I think it'd be competitive and some of the solo pieces are just a little light.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2017 at 17:07
Originally posted by Vompatti Vompatti wrote:

The group tracks on Fragile are as good as or better than anything on CttE, but the solo stuff is decent filler at best.

That about sums it up for me also.....the group tracks are equal to the material on Close but those annoying little solo inserts ruin the flow of the album for me.
So CTTE rules of the two ....I even like The Yes Album over Fragile if I were forced to choose.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Mellotron Storm View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2017 at 18:50
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

Originally posted by BrufordFreak BrufordFreak wrote:

Pretty much sums up how I would’ve put it

I agree Drew and Tom. Fragile to me "sounds" better as well although YES has such a great guy working with them in Eddie Orford that all their classic stuff sounds amazing. Of course this is all a matter of personal taste and I have given both 5 stars but "Fragile" is my favourite from them.
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2017 at 02:15
I would give both Fragile and CttE 5 stars when it comes to rating. I've had CttE on top of my list for decades until this day. Fragile has South Side of the Sky, Heart of the Sunrise and Roundabout. But I would not call all the solo tracks "decent filler at best". Mood for a Day is more or less on par with any Yes epic, Schindleria P. is developed to the full on Yessongs and I find We Have Heaven rather charming, I can't help it.

Edited by someone_else - October 16 2017 at 02:15
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2017 at 09:16
Simply put (by a simpleton), CTTE was a masterpiece while Fragile was a showcase exhibiting individual members' bents, capped off by the bravissimo South Side of the Sky.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2017 at 14:27
They're both perfect. Wouldn't change a single note, a single lyric. On either. (Same applies to The Yes Album, Tales From Topographic Oceans and Relayer. The five best albums I've ever heard.)  
lostrom View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2017 at 15:39
Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

Big Generator blows the both of their asses out of the water. LOVE WILL FIND AWAY rules!!!!
LOL, BG isn't even a good album.
lostrom
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2017 at 05:10
Originally posted by someone_else someone_else wrote:

Mood for a Day is more or less on par with any Yes epic

Really?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>