Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedIs it just me?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2017 at 06:23
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

Originally posted by someone_else someone_else wrote:

Mood for a Day is more or less on par with any Yes epic

Really?

Almost. I exaggerated a bit to put some counterweight on the scale in defense of the solo output.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2017 at 15:20
Originally posted by Vompatti Vompatti wrote:

The group tracks on Fragile are as good as or better than anything on CttE, but the solo stuff is decent filler at best.

yep

Fragile is brilliantly messy but CTTE satisfies that intellectual thing of being complete and very tidy. Everything is well ordered and in its place. Fragile is the launch pad but CTTE is in the air.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2017 at 15:22
Here's my take on this. It's only in the past ten years or so that CTTE has been considered their ultimate album and one of(if not THE) ultimate prog albums. Don't get me wrong. I think CTTE is great and it deserves most of the belated recognition it has received over the past several years or so but I don't think it's THAT much better than Fragile or even TYA or relayer. Actually relayer is probably my personal favorite Yes record with CTTE possibly coming in second. Fragile is special to me though because it's one of the first ones I bought. A lot of people these days seem to have problems with the shorter tracks on Fragile with some people even going so far as to call them "filler." Well, of course they are filler in the strictest sense of the term because they weren't meant to be group compositions. However, that by itself doesn't make them bad. At some point the term "filler" came to be used mostly in a pejorative way which is unfortunate. So anyway, at some point CTTE started to get all this recognition and has showed up in best prog album lists usually in the top ten while Fragile has taken a back seat. On the allmusic website however, it's Fragile that is the one with the star next to it(being the one recommended to start with)and the one with the most ratings. Most other sites though(including this one and RYM)have CTTE as their best and most popular. Ultimately I would say it's up to personal taste and preference though. 

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - October 17 2017 at 15:23
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2017 at 15:45
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

It's only in the past ten years or so that CTTE has been considered their ultimate album and one of(if not THE) ultimate prog albums.

Never knew that I was so far ahead of my time back in the 70s. OK, I learned to know the album within months after its release and I got the album as a present from my classmates for my 14th birthday.

aldri7 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2017 at 20:51
The inclusion of Siberian Katru on Close to Edge is, IMHO, a plus, not a negative. Without it, I would rank ccte lower than Fragile. With it, its a toss up.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2017 at 22:16
For me both albums just have to go together. They just have something that connects them (perhaps the fact that they have the exact same line-up and were recorded at the same period?)... however, together they are the best the band ever did, when all of the musicians were the very best a band could hope for... none of them weaker on his instrument than the others. And indeed I don't find the solo spots to be all that bad on Fragile. Mood for a day, as has already been mentioned, is actually very good. The Fish is for me just the jamming (or bass solo) extension of Long Distance Runaround... and this song just doesn't sound complete, and is much weaker, without it. Five Percent for Nothing is just to short to do any damage to the album. We Have Heaven... well, it's weird, but I actually enjoy it. And Cans for Brahms, I wouldn't really call it good or enjoyable, but it doesn't really bother me either. However, I have read that what later became Catherine of Aragon was actually Wakeman's intended solo piece for this album, but he couldn't use it because for contractual reasons he couldn't write music for Yes, but if only it had been used on the album it would have made it even better.
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2017 at 02:18
CTTE remains one of my favourite albums of all time - I love Siberian Khatru and with And You and I and the title track, the whole album is somehow wonderfully whole and integrated. In fact the only bit I occasionally struggle with is the first minute or two of the free-form jazzy jamming of the title track. When I used to play it to friends in the hope of converting them to prog and Yes all those years ago, they tended to comment how messy it was, and I would ask them to stick with it until the main themes developed from it. Not many did!

Fragile has amazing highs, and is not far behind CTTE- but I agree that the solo bits mean it lacks that coherence. Definitely interesting though. However, I also would put The Yes album marginally higher - as it also has a rounded quality to it, and starting with Yours is No Disgrace and ending with Starship Trooper is rather impressive. Given that Wakeman hadn't replaced Kaye then (so many fans don't see it in the classic line up canon) - this and the other two are an exceptional run of albums. For me, Tales ended this purple patch, but if they'd put out Sides 1 and 4 as a single album instead (as Wakeman has often suggested) it would have been up there with the other three in my humble view.

Edited by Squonk19 - October 25 2017 at 02:21
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2017 at 20:52
^ Or perhaps for Tales they could have used the 1 20 min epic and 2 10 min tracks. Revealing Science of God would be my choice for keeping complete, and I don't know, choose the next 20 min of music to make 2 songs out of them.
peregrino View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2017 at 17:11
I love Fragile, and I've always seen it as the better album of the two proposed here, but for me, the best Yes albums are.... uhhh.... The Yes Album, and Relayer.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12