Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedIamthemorning

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
noni View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Iamthemorning
    Posted: October 17 2017 at 00:00
Great band.  Smile
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2017 at 20:55
I have enjoyed their albums a lot too, and do love both the vocals and the piano. The vocals may not be the most impressive ones, but they do work wonderfully with the music. And indeed my favourite is the last one. On the other hand, I do am intrigued about Gleb's solo project, but I have not made up my mind to jump into the album funding thing, so I just hope he can complete it and then release it to the market, for there have been other funded albums that I just have not seen available for normal purchase... one of them is Iamthemorning's own live album. However, if I remember correctly, the line-up Gleb was puting together is one of the most impressive I could think so (actually, all of the musicians are just about the ones I would think could step into Yes if they wanted to really recover their position as the best musicians within prog). As far as I remember it, he had Colin Tench (from Corvus Stone) on guitars, Nick Beggs on bass, Gavin Harrison on drums, and Jordan Rudess on keyboards (this last one seems somewhat strange, since Gleb is a pianist... I guess he wanted other keyboards besides piano he didn't feel comfortable playing).
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2017 at 10:21
^^^  Thanks.  Will definitely check out the improvs.

I have already reviewed Lighthouse and will be reviewing ~ in maybe a week.  But yeah, the difference I find is the Lighthouse compositions, while not inaccessible, are more organised to evoke an atmosphere whereas ~ has more straight up, almost pop-like hoops.  A track like Circles on ~ is kinda like a Celtic Tori Amos.  There is even a Tori like inflection in Marjana's singing there which she seems to have completely broken out of by Lighthouse. Anyway, I think all three albums are beautiful, offering something different (within more or less the same basic formula) but for now Lighthouse appeals more to me.  You referred to expanding their palate on Lighthouse and they did so quite literally by adding wind instruments which weren't there on the debut.  Nice use of Hackett like guitar in some tracks too; there are subtle nods to Genesis in Lighthouse (thus further affirming the prog connection which is more elusive on the debut).
Zugzwang View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2017 at 10:06
Glad I'm not the only one who thinks Lighthouse is their best. They expanded their palette quite a bit, and it's a very well organized album.

The pianist has a bunch of improvisations/drafts up for free on bandcamp: https://poloniumcubes.bandcamp.com/
He was supposed to release a proper solo album in June, but his indiegogo didn't raise enough money and that slowed the process down. Based on his post regarding the delay, he increased the scope of the album and was negotiating with Kscope. So it'll probably show up there late this year or early next year.
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2017 at 07:27
Did a search and couldn't find an appreciation thread for this wonderful outfit. With three albums in (and rather beautiful ones too), they deserve one. Classified as crossover prog, but I really think fans of soft symphonic like Gryphon/Harmonium/Enid, female fronted folk as well as even the Northettes minus the quirk would enjoy this band. While I enjoy Marjana's vocals for what they are, I am not necessarily a huge fan but the piano... man, it's just beyond awesome. While I have enjoyed all three albums - ~, Delighted and Lighthouse, I am so besotted by the last that I am unable to move past it. So who else is a fan? Do chime in.
 Post Reply Post Reply