5 [62.50%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Moby vs Beck
    Posted: October 17 2017 at 11:52
I have not listend to them that mutch yet they were synonymous with the 90s music scene. Both distinctly different yet profoundly spessial musicians in their own terms. With long carears, quite equal amount of albums and quite creative artists. 

If you like groovy and atmospheric house / electronica music then Moby is the cat, if you like rootsy country, experimental folk and even alternative hip hop; Beck is were to go. s o which 90s one name moniker are you a fan of.

Edited by Icarium - October 17 2017 at 15:16
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2017 at 14:27
Beck, bébé.
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2017 at 00:18
I think the best album for progers to get a taste of Moby is hes album Animal Rights. which perhaps is hes most rock/metal related outfitt. He plays inpresivly all the instrunents and he does so wonderfully. quite a musician whomb channels all hes creative juices into this powerfull meal of sound.

Best way to get the real sence of Moby we know of then the album Play is th album to seek out. many radio staples an hes progressive house and electronic genious is unleashed - hes perhaps one of the finest makers of electronic techno/house whith actual soul intatch. Moby is amazing.
ColonelClaypool View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2017 at 01:48
I don't really like either artist, but if I had to choose I'd probably say Moby just because I saw him and his punk band play as a warm-up act for Soundgarden during their Down on the Upside tour in 1996. Moby even did Black Sabbath's War Pigs on request from the audience.
With magic, you can turn a frog into a prince.
With science, you can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with.
ALotOfBottle View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2017 at 02:50
Moby by a country mile for me.
Categories strain, crack and sometimes break, under their burden - step out of the space provided.
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2017 at 03:38
Both hipster pioneers. I remember when Beck released Odelay. An explotion of young men in kilts and english school boy uniforms suddenly saw the light of day. Back then the hipster thang more or less kept to the skater and punk scenes but then with Moby it blossomed into a whole generation of wellmeaning buddhist baldies that enjoyed their beers served in coffeecups and their ladies wrapped in antique table cloths.

I like both of these men's sorry excuses for music but would rather see them launch a new clothing line. Something a la 'wet heroin shic doggy wrapped in silver foam and denim sparkle".
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2017 at 03:43
Not a huge fan of either, although I've ended up with about 5 Moby albums. I was into his rave/dance stuff early on. I saw him on the Play tour and it was an excellent show, so I guss I'll vote for him.

Beck was always one of those artists, who eveyone seemed to adore around the time of Odelay, and although I bought the album, I was always fairly indifferent to it. Didn't really understand the god like status he was given in the music press.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2017 at 03:50
I thought Beck was pretty good until I heard where he'd gotten his sound from. One listen to Can (cannot remember the album though) and I never looked back. May just be 15 years since I last span a Beck album I should really clean up my record collection and sell some of those feckers. Hell I could fit a couple of sofas and a large flightless bird where my old 90s cds reside.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2017 at 05:01
Who are these jokers I know nothing about ??
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2017 at 10:57
they are idiosyncratic with 90s music and style. if the spirit of 90s music should be capttured with two musicians Moby and Beck are two good contenders. Along with Gwen Stefani.
DeadSouls View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2017 at 08:44
Moby
 Post Reply Post Reply